Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How stupid ARE people?

How stupid ARE people?

Joe Snodgrass

After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
locations, I can't believe that

1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking
and corner the market on people who want no part of it. There's money
to be made, genius!

2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.

3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
under their control, or else.

Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as
they get their shot every half hour.

Deeyana

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:14:58 -0700, Joe Snodgrass wrote:

> After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
> locations, I can't believe that
>
> 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking and
> corner the market on people who want no part of it. There's money to be
> made, genius!
>
> 2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
> the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.
>
> 3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
> under their control, or else.
>
> Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as they
> get their shot every half hour.

What does any of that have to do with Java, C++, or PHP, Snodgrass?

David Lamb

On 30/04/2011 3:48 PM, Deeyana wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:14:58 -0700, Joe Snodgrass wrote:
>
>> After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
>> locations, I can't believe that
>>
>> 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking and
>> corner the market on people who want no part of it. There's money to be
>> made, genius!

> What does any of that have to do with Java, C++, or PHP, Snodgrass?

Perhaps we can help the OP learn some systems design? Making location
tracking impossible means no app-readable GPS, which eliminates so many
useful apps nobody would buy said smartphone.

Does any smartphone use php?

Twayne

In news:1z0vp.5524$(E-Mail Removed),
David Lamb <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> On 30/04/2011 3:48 PM, Deeyana wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:14:58 -0700, Joe Snodgrass wrote:
>>
>>> After all the scary news about smart phones
>>> broadcasting people's locations, I can't believe that
>>>
>>> 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no
>>> location tracking and corner the market on people who
>>> want no part of it. There's money to be made, genius!

>> What does any of that have to do with Java, C++, or PHP,
>> Snodgrass?

> Perhaps we can help the OP learn some systems design?
> Making location tracking impossible means no app-readable
> GPS, which eliminates so many useful apps nobody would
> buy said smartphone.
> Does any smartphone use php?

Don't see why not. PHP runs server-side, not client side. It's the website
that determines whether PHP runs or not and it has nothing to do wth the
client side, or smartfone.

HTH,

Twayne`

Jerry Stuckle

On 4/30/2011 7:26 PM, Twayne wrote:
> In news:1z0vp.5524$(E-Mail Removed),
> David Lamb<(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>>> What does any of that have to do with Java, C++, or PHP,
>>> Snodgrass?

>> Perhaps we can help the OP learn some systems design?
>> Making location tracking impossible means no app-readable
>> GPS, which eliminates so many useful apps nobody would
>> buy said smartphone.
>> Does any smartphone use php?

> Don't see why not. PHP runs server-side, not client side. It's the website
> that determines whether PHP runs or not and it has nothing to do wth the
> client side, or smartfone.
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne`

Incorrect. PHP scripts can easily run on the client.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com

In comp.lang.php Joe Snodgrass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> After all the scary news about smart phones broadcasting people's
> locations, I can't believe that
>
> 1) Some genius doesn't build a smart phone with no location tracking
> and corner the market on people who want no part of it. There's money
> to be made, genius!
>
> 2) Manufacturers don't put a control (preferably a hardware switch) on
> the annoying things to *reliably* leave the feature turned off.
>
> 3) Customers don't raise a ruckus and demand that the feature be put
> under their control, or else.
>
> Americans are heroin addicts, who will suck up anything, as long as
> they get their shot every half hour.

The FCC has required that all cell phone companies be able to trace
cell phone calls to a location since 2005.

You can thank 9/11 for that rule.

Only whether or not the user can access the tracking data is optional.

The only money to be made with a phone with no location tracking is in
the fines and penalties you will get for selling it.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Unrest

Indeed. "PHP4Android" on "Scripting Layer for Android".

David Lamb

On 01/05/2011 1:27 AM, Unrest wrote:
> Indeed. "PHP4Android" on "Scripting Layer for Android".

So, even an originally-off-topic posting can lead to (some of) us
learning something.

Jerry Stuckle

On 5/1/2011 9:15 AM, David Lamb wrote:
> On 01/05/2011 1:27 AM, Unrest wrote:
>> Indeed. "PHP4Android" on "Scripting Layer for Android".

> So, even an originally-off-topic posting can lead to (some of) us
> learning something.

Not really. If you wanted to know that PHP was available for Android, a
quick search would tell you. And if you don't need to know, you
probably don't care.

It's no reason to clutter up a newsgroup with off-topic crap.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
(E-Mail Removed)
==================

Twayne

In news:ipi8ac$ufm$(E-Mail Removed),
Jerry Stuckle <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> On 4/30/2011 7:26 PM, Twayne wrote:
>> In news:1z0vp.5524$(E-Mail Removed),
>> David Lamb<(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>>> Perhaps we can help the OP learn some systems design?
>>> Making location tracking impossible means no
>>> app-readable GPS, which eliminates so many useful apps
>>> nobody would buy said smartphone.
>>> Does any smartphone use php?

>> Don't see why not. PHP runs server-side, not client
>> side. It's the website that determines whether PHP runs
>> or not and it has nothing to do wth the client side, or
>> smartfone. HTH,
>>
>> Twayne`
>>

> Incorrect. PHP scripts can easily run on the client.

Your half-misinformation does no one any good, including yourself. Without
PHP and a server present, which is the norm for many people, what happens
then? They'll still run the PHP? I don't THINK so!

stupid question...waiting for a stupid answer Brandon McCombs Java 4 08-28-2006 06:57 PM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
Stupid is as Stupid Does! Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 3 06-26-2004 12:49 PM

Advertisments