Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > eliminate the fricking region codes on dvds. it does get innocentpeople into hot water.

eliminate the fricking region codes on dvds. it does get innocentpeople into hot water.

radioguy

Here in the U.S.A., the mpaa says it is illegal to own any dvd unless
it is either a region 1 or all region
dvd.
I ordered a perfely legal HK movie from a legitimate store here in the
U.S.A. The site told which discs are region 3 and which are all
region. I checked the title I wanted and they only carry the all
region version of the title I wanted and not the region 3 version of
tht title. according to their site. so I ordered
it. When it came, it would not work in my dvd player. After several
tries, I gave up and then tried it in my computer. That is when I
found out they sent me a region 3 coded dvd of the title instead of
the all-region dvd I ordered of that title. so now according to the
mpaa, I have an illegal disc and am guilty of recieving illegal goods
and illegal merchandise according to the mpaa. and according to law
eenforcement, ignorance .of the law is no excuse. that hough I knew
the mpaa said haing a region 3 dvd is illegal in the U.S.A., that me
not kn owing the dvd I was recieving is a region 3 dvd is ignorance of
the law and ignorance of the law is no excuse and t hat it is still
recieving illegal goods and illegal contra-and. and illegal for me to
possess. furthermore also illegal fo me to
sell, and get this, also illegal for me to destroy. accordingto law-
enforcement, since it is illegal goods illegally recieved which is a
crime, destroyin the dvds is destroying evidence of a crime which is
also a crime in and of
itself.
it is time to eliminate the fricking illegal mpa region codes. This
has gone way further than simply preventing piracy, which is a lie,
and trying to illegally maximize their profits. Now perfectly legal
innnocent citizens who ordered perfectly legal merchandise can get
arrrested andput in prison for illegally recieving and having the
wrong region code dvd which is unreturna-le to the store. are not
allowed to sel it, are not allowed to give irr away, are not allowed
to possess it, and are not even allowed to destroyed it. what the
hey
the mpaa and police depatments and polce officers are now as -izzare
as -enita -
izzare.
I get very little money. so I had to order where it costs less postage
and takes ove a month to get to me. yet the return policy is items can
not return after 7 days from the date of ordering and once opened can
only exhanged for the exact same dvd. so even if I could return it,
which cant snce it did notget to me until over a month later which is
way past the 7 days return policy, it can only get exchanged for
another reion 3 coded dvd of the same tile since I already opened it
even though I ordered an all-region dvd of that
title. and
you morons who say should not have opened it. If I did not open it, I
would not know it was a region 3 dvd and would still think it was an
all-region dvd there was no way for me to know until after I opened
it up and tried to play it. and why the heck should I not open it when
I thought it was the all-region version that I ordered and expected it
was watcha-le on American dvd players. there is no region code
listed on the covers of that title and it is NOT a pirate copy.pirate
copies dont have region
codes.
It is a perfectly legitimate legal copy for region 3 from region 3.
However, I live in region 1 where the mpaa says it s illegal and I
ordered the perfectly legal for region 1 all-region version of that
movie
title.

Kent Wills

At one time, not so long ago, radioguy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Here in the U.S.A., the mpaa says it is illegal to own any dvd unless
>it is either a region 1 or all region dvd.

The MPAA doesn't make law.

>I ordered a perfely legal HK movie from a legitimate store here in the
>U.S.A. The site told which discs are region 3 and which are all
>region. I checked the title I wanted and they only carry the all
>region version of the title I wanted and not the region 3 version of
>tht title.

Odds are Region Three wouldn't work for you, unless you have a
region free player.

>according to their site. so I ordered
>it. When it came, it would not work in my dvd player. After several
>tries, I gave up and then tried it in my computer. That is when I
>found out they sent me a region 3 coded dvd of the title instead of
>the all-region dvd I ordered of that title.

So send it back and get the "Region Zero" DVD. Contrary to your
claims below, you can do this.

>so now according to the
>mpaa, I have an illegal disc and am guilty of recieving illegal goods
>and illegal merchandise according to the mpaa.

The MPAA doesn't make law.

>and according to law
>eenforcement, ignorance .of the law is no excuse. that hough I knew
>the mpaa said haing a region 3 dvd is illegal in the U.S.A., that me
>not kn owing the dvd I was recieving is a region 3 dvd is ignorance of
>the law and ignorance of the law is no excuse and t hat it is still
>recieving illegal goods and illegal contra-and.

Um, no.
You have to have a reasonable expectation that the good(s) you
received is/are illegal.
Of course, this presumes having a region three DVD is actually
illegal in the U.S.

>and illegal for me to
>possess. furthermore also illegal fo me to
>sell, and get this, also illegal for me to destroy. accordingto law-
>enforcement, since it is illegal goods illegally recieved which is a
>crime, destroyin the dvds is destroying evidence of a crime which is
>also a crime in and of
>itself.

Send the DVD back to the company with a note explaining that it's
not playable as it's region three. Ask that they send you a copy that
can be played with a region one player.

>it is time to eliminate the fricking illegal mpa region codes.

The MPAA didn't make the region codes.

>This
>has gone way further than simply preventing piracy,

Region codes weren't developed to prevent piracy.

>which is a lie,
>and trying to illegally maximize their profits.

The codes are intended to maximize profits, though not illegally.
If I want movie A on DVD and it costs $29.99 here, I might buy
it. If the same movie is available from England for the equivalent of
$10.00, I might be motivated to buy it from there. I'll have to wait
longer, but the saving might be worth it.
And even with shipping, it would be cheaper. I know of what I
write in this matter.

>Now perfectly legal
>innnocent citizens who ordered perfectly legal merchandise can get
>arrrested andput in prison for illegally recieving and having the
>wrong region code dvd which is unreturna-le to the store. are not
>allowed to sel it, are not allowed to give irr away, are not allowed
>to possess it, and are not even allowed to destroyed it. what the
>hey
>the mpaa and police depatments and polce officers are now as -izzare
>as -enita -izzare.

Please cite where in the U.S. Code one can find that having a DVD
other than Region one or "Region Zero" is illegal.

>I get very little money. so I had to order where it costs less postage
>and takes ove a month to get to me. yet the return policy is items can
>not return after 7 days from the date of ordering

I question this.
I can see seven days after being shipped, or received, but after
it's ordered?

>and once opened can
>only exhanged for the exact same dvd.

You want the same DVD, only you want it in a Region format that
is playable on your DVD player.

>so even if I could return it,
>which cant snce it did notget to me until over a month later which is
>way past the 7 days return policy, it can only get exchanged for
>another reion 3 coded dvd of the same tile since I already opened it
>even though I ordered an all-region dvd of that
>title. and
>you morons who say should not have opened it. If I did not open it, I
>would not know it was a region 3 dvd and would still think it was an
>all-region dvd there was no way for me to know until after I opened
>it up and tried to play it.

Other than the words Region Three being printed on the case.

>and why the heck should I not open it when
>I thought it was the all-region version that I ordered and expected it
>was watcha-le on American dvd players. there is no region code
>listed on the covers of that title and it is NOT a pirate copy.pirate
>copies dont have region
>codes.

It will have the region code printed on the label.
Typically it's on the back near the bottom.

>It is a perfectly legitimate legal copy for region 3 from region 3.
>However, I live in region 1 where the mpaa says it s illegal and I
>ordered the perfectly legal for region 1 all-region version of that
>movie title.

Cite the specific law, please.

--
It's hard to relate to this high-tech world when your kid says her
Lego Toys need more memory.