Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VDSL

Frank Winkler

Hi there !

I'm a little bit confued concerning the different DSL WICs. There seems
to be a "multimode VDSL HWIC", the jack is labeled "VDSLoPOTS". Does
this imply it's really just working on POTS lines? I'm looking for a
card that's working with a "VDSL over ISDN" line from Deutsche Telekom
and some hints how to configure this combination.

TIA

fw

Doug McIntyre

Frank Winkler <(E-Mail Removed)-ka.de> writes:
>I'm a little bit confued concerning the different DSL WICs. There seems
>to be a "multimode VDSL HWIC", the jack is labeled "VDSLoPOTS". Does
>this imply it's really just working on POTS lines? I'm looking for a
>card that's working with a "VDSL over ISDN" line from Deutsche Telekom
>and some hints how to configure this combination.

Cisco makes VDSLoPOTS and VDSLoISDN for the European market where ISDN
is prevelent.

The HWIC-VDSL product seems to be VDSLoPOTS only.

They have several EHWIC for VDSL as well, for VDSLoISDN, it looks like
you'll want the product EHWIC-VA-DSL-B

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...78-644629.html

I don't find any HWIC's for VDSLoISDN, just the EHWIC card referenced above.

Frank Winkler

On 27.04.11 15:57, Doug McIntyre wrote:

>Cisco makes VDSLoPOTS and VDSLoISDN for the European market where ISDN
>is prevelent.
>
>The HWIC-VDSL product seems to be VDSLoPOTS only.
>
>They have several EHWIC for VDSL as well, for VDSLoISDN, it looks like
>you'll want the product EHWIC-VA-DSL-B
>

>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...78-644629.html

Thanks fpr your info - the bad news is that EHWIC is not supported in my
1841. Won't it work at all or is it just unsupported in case of probs?

TIA

fw

Doug McIntyre

Frank Winkler <(E-Mail Removed)-ka.de> writes:
>On 27.04.11 15:57, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> >They have several EHWIC for VDSL as well, for VDSLoISDN, it looks like
> >you'll want the product EHWIC-VA-DSL-B

> >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...78-644629.html

>Thanks fpr your info - the bad news is that EHWIC is not supported in my
>1841. Won't it work at all or is it just unsupported in case of probs?

It doesn't look like Cisco has a solution for you with an 1841 and
needing VDSLoISDN.

If you had a 1941 with the EHWIC-VA-DSL-B card, you'd be set...

But with the 1841, it looks like you only have the HWIC-VDSL which is
VDSLoPOTS only..

I'd imagine that the EHWIC card is a slightly different form factor
that wouldn't plug/seat correctly into an HWIC slot. I haven't
compared any side by side though.

I'm at a point where I'd just take whatever throwaway router from the
ISP, put it into bridge mode and run PPPoE off the router/firewall behind it.

881 VDSL Supersleuth Cisco 2 05-16-2011 05:43 PM
Cisco 886VA with T-Home VDSL Klaus Gast Cisco 2 01-09-2011 10:31 AM
50meg/s German VDSL broadband Have A Nice Cup of Tea NZ Computing 1 03-22-2006 11:28 AM

Advertisments