Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Trademe bitch...

Trademe bitch...

Gordon

On 2011-04-27, Bruce Sinclair <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

[snip]

> Hmm ... connecting this with the points above, I do recall someone I know
> selling a dishwasher that said clearly something like "broken, doesn't work,
> good for parts" (or similar). They got ~ $120 for it (and were very
> surprised figuring they buyer must have a few broken ones with different
> faults !), the people paid the money picked it up, and brought it back the
> next day saying 'it doesn't work'. Perhaps people *are* that stupid and
> don't in fact read *anything*, let alone one version only ??

A mere days reading of Usenet proves this beyond all reasonable doubt.

Have you read your contract with your electricity supplier, your ISP, your
telecommunications supplier, etc?

At these days they are in plan English.

Peter Huebner

> Gentle people this *is* *it*. Trademe is nothing more or less than a
> bussiness, who object is to make profit. As long as it is done legally then
> they care not how it is done.

Of course they are a business. However, aiding and abetting is still considered
to be illegal in many various criminal activities - and fraud (e.g. knowingly
misrepresenting the goods you are selling) is an illegal activity - period.

They are actually on thin ice regarding being caught out as a quasi-fence and
they _are_trying to remove auctions where it's pointed out to them that the
goods are stolen as far as I am aware.

However, considering the number of people using the site every day, I am not in
the least surprised that they have problems policing their auctions, or even
meaningfully engaging in dialogue about borderline fraud cases.

Which in no way excuses their not making an effort to eliminate scam artists...
any business is so far obliged to operate inside the law, which makes me wonder
what would happen if Shaun would talk to Consumer Affairs about the goings on.

Consumer Affairs want documentation, mind. I was scammed by Telecom once and
because I had nothing on paper or email, CA agreed with me in principle (they
had had similar complaints from other sources alas Telecom had carefully not
sent any of us the paperwork promised over the phone) and so they could not be
prosecuted.

-P.

Richard

On 28/04/2011 8:31 a.m., Robert Cooze wrote:
> On 28/04/11 00:07, Boots wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:48:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> LOL, nah, I'm not. I have had people ask me why I don't put things on TM
>>> and just say 'untested'. I don't know, there's just something in my
>>> makeup that won't allow me to do that with something that I know to be
>>> faulty. However I think I'm in the minority. I've come to read
>>> 'untested' as 'not working' and it cost me a bit to learn that a hell of
>>> a lot of people are arseholes.

>> I think you're taking an honorable stance on this. I applaud you for
>> doing so.
>>

> I have found selling old or faulty goods like TV's there is a market for
> there parts I when selling am strait up saying does not work in the
> title and description.
>
> A TV I sold they wanted the the tube and a dishwasher and oven the scrap
> value of the metal was less than they paid and more than for me to dump it.
>
> But saying untested if it is bung not my style. I have seen does not
> work auctions where the photo gives a good clue to why it did not work
> and cheep fix, some of those auctions went for silly money.

There is an abundance of broken TVs on trademe. I guess that people dont
want to have to lug it to the side of the road.

Richard

On 28/04/2011 5:30 p.m., Gordon wrote:
> On 2011-04-27, ~misfit~<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Trademe don't care if the buyer *is*
>> being lead down the garden path, as long as the get their pound of flesh.

> Gentle people this *is* *it*. Trademe is nothing more or less than a
> bussiness, who object is to make profit. As long as it is done legally then
> they care not how it is done.

They pull anything that looks like an apple music player or phone,
claiming that its because buyers are confused, yet allow nokia or other
replicas stay on there.

I think its because they are owned by a media company that gets
advertising revenue from apple and had the hard word put on them. Ebay
seem to be quite happy to have 100s of varietys of players that go from
dead ringer for a shuffle all the way thru to being about as dissimilar
as you can be and still even be considered to be inspired by the apple
device. Trademe wouldnt let any like that be sold on their site.

The problem is it is just that, THEIR site, so you cant do anything
about it.

In saying that, I dont think that anything should be done to stop the
blacklisting, just like you can ask anyone to leave your real shop, you
should be able to keep them off your listings too.

Gib Bogle

On 4/28/2011 5:38 PM, Gordon wrote:

> Have you read your contract with your electricity supplier, your ISP, your
> telecommunications supplier, etc?
>
> At these days they are in plan English.

Meaning "I plan to read them one day"

pystol

On Apr 27, 4:17*pm, (E-Mail Removed)
(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> In article <ip7nl6$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I hate the way that a 'trader' can just blacklist you from their auctions. I
> >must have been blacklisted by at least half-a-dozen now simply for pointing
> >out that they are describing their goods wrongly, or even questioning if
> >what they've written is in fact correct!

> >I tried complaining to Tardeme a long time ago about it, pointing out that I
> >was doing a service for their other customers by catching out people who
> >were falsly advertising. Of course they didn't want to know, saying that
> >traders can chose who they want to sell to.

> >The interesting thing is that it's usually traders with a thousand or more
> >'trades' that are the quickest to use the blacklist feature. They've gotso
> >many balls in the air they don't want to be bothered with the truth!

> >Ehhh! I don't feel any better for venting.... As you were. :-/

> Bummer. I didn't know you could blacklist, so thanks for that.
>
> For me, I'd settle for not being charged the full (admitedly small) valueof
> something by trademe if 'withdrawing' it. This happened to me recently, so I
> simply added a comment that 'this is no longer for sale so don't bid on it'.
> Thankfully, no one did.

TradeMe doesn't like that and if they see it will presume you have
advertised it for sale somewhere else or have avoided having to pay
their selling fee or some other crap. Unfortunately TradeMe is the
position of being able to **** on us whenever they want to and the do
ay every opportunity.

It's best to add a couple of zeros to your selling price to deter
people from bidding and don't put the "this item is no longer for
sale" notice up. $3 to get something 'officially' withdrawn - ****
that!

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>Consumer Affairs want documentation, mind. I was scammed by Telecom once and
>because I had nothing on paper or email, CA agreed with me in principle (they
>had had similar complaints from other sources alas Telecom had carefully not
>sent any of us the paperwork promised over the phone) and so they could not be
>prosecuted.

This is a favourite tactic of phone salesmin. "no we can't send you the
contract because we don't have it" was the best answer I got after I said
something like "yes, I would love to buy your product, please send me the
contract so I can read it and sign it".
So, how could they answer actual qwuestions about it then ? Classic. Yet
that can apparently get everything *they* need for a "contract" over the
phone. Fascinating.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <ipd4r8$qnt$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 4/28/2011 5:38 PM, Gordon wrote:
>
>> Have you read your contract with your electricity supplier, your ISP, your
>> telecommunications supplier, etc?
>>
>> At these days they are in plan English.

>Meaning "I plan to read them one day"

I'll translate so no one has to read the things and get depressed ...

1) We, the supplier, while in the business of supplying <insert service
here>, promise nothing at all.
2) You the consumer, promise to pay us (the supplier) as much as we ask for
without question.
3) If you, the consumer, have a problem with that, see (1)
4) If you still have a problem, we are happy to disconnect you for a fee (to
be set by us).

See, easy !

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, pystol <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Apr 27, 4:17=A0pm, (E-Mail Removed)
>(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

(snip)
>> Bummer. I didn't know you could blacklist, so thanks for that.
>>
>> For me, I'd settle for not being charged the full (admitedly small) value=

> of
>> something by trademe if 'withdrawing' it. This happened to me recently, s=

>o I
>> simply added a comment that 'this is no longer for sale so don't bid on i=

>t'.
>> Thankfully, no one did.

>TradeMe doesn't like that and if they see it will presume you have
>advertised it for sale somewhere else or have avoided having to pay
>their selling fee or some other crap. Unfortunately TradeMe is the
>position of being able to **** on us whenever they want to and the do
>ay every opportunity.
>
>It's best to add a couple of zeros to your selling price to deter
>people from bidding and don't put the "this item is no longer for
>sale" notice up. $3 to get something 'officially' withdrawn - ****
>that!

Problem with upping the "price" is that some idiots delight in stupid bids.
Creates extra problems, success fees etc.
That's the first thing I've ever tried to withdraw ... and should something
similar ever happen again (which I doubt) I will use the same method to
prevent the sale.

Each "option" that trademe adds makes them less useful for me. Sadly, they
really are the only game in town ... but there will come a time ...

Donchano

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:22:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Ehhh! I don't feel any better for venting.... As you were. :-/

Actually, I have another TradeMe bitch about vintage watch traders who
put crappy photos and lame descriptions in their auction adverts. In
most cases it's just stupidity and an inexperienced trader who hasn't
taken the time to look to see what good TradeMe auctions look like. So
you have to coax information from them and request better photos.

But with others it's downright deception and hoping bidders will think
they're getting an amazing bargain from a newbie trader.

When you ask them about the condition of the watch, or some flaw or
damage that's evident from the photo/s - but not mentioned in the
description - the favoured response is a claim that they know nothing
about watches and/or they're selling the watch on behalf of someone
else or been given the watch or inherited it from an uncle or
grandfather, etc. So they really can't answer any questions about the
watch's condition or whether the case is gold or pot metal or if it
actually works. They'll also claim that their camera is old or that
they don't know how to take better photos, but that the watch is
"really nice."

There's one guy in particular who keeps advertising the same high-end
vintage man's wristwatch with a very collectable, sought after model
with a famous brand name. But if you copy the trader's "enlarged"
photo and enlarge it even further, you can see definite signs of water
damage and/or corrosion on the edge of the dial (watch face).

I asked him about this in an earlier auction and after giving me a
vague, evasive answer he blacklisted me. The watch was then relisted
(which deletes my question and his answer) and still hasn't sold
despite being relisted around six times since then.

If someone finally does buy the watch they're in for repairs costing
far more than the asking price (which would be very attractive if the
watch was in good condition), but there's no way I can ask about the
condition again because the trader has blacklisted me.

trademe con? - $10 to ask a question bruce NZ Computing 44 03-14-2010 03:59 AM
Trademe alternatives? paora NZ Computing 7 03-14-2010 03:53 AM
Trademe idiots Weez NZ Computing 57 05-20-2004 05:19 AM
Question about "TradeMe" bidding Craig NZ Computing 2 01-27-2004 08:51 AM
TradeMe strangeness JD NZ Computing 16 08-08-2003 06:08 AM

Advertisments