Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Development tools and practices for Pythonistas

Development tools and practices for Pythonistas

Chris Angelico

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Jean-Michel Pichavant
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For a single user, there would be no merge issue. And svn is very simple to
> use.
> That would not be a such bad advice for a beginner with VCS systems.

As someone who for years had "nightly backups and renamed files" as
his only VCS, I would advise beginners to pick up a VCS that they can
learn, master, and then use widely, not one that will be restricted to
solo work (forcing them to learn a different system when they join
some other project). There's no particular benefit in learning older
systems, is there? (I never learned CVS or SVN; my first is git, and
it's the only one I've used to any great extent.)

Oh, and rolling your own VCS can work in specific situations, but it's
probably going to work out a lot more efficient to use a well-known
one, even if it does have a learning curve. I have a few places where
I should probably migrate things to git.

Chris Angelico

Jean-Michel Pichavant

Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Jean-Michel Pichavant
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> For a single user, there would be no merge issue. And svn is very simple to
>> use.
>> That would not be a such bad advice for a beginner with VCS systems.
>>

> As someone who for years had "nightly backups and renamed files" as
> his only VCS, I would advise beginners to pick up a VCS that they can
> learn, master, and then use widely, not one that will be restricted to
> solo work (forcing them to learn a different system when they join
> some other project). There's no particular benefit in learning older
> systems, is there? (I never learned CVS or SVN; my first is git, and
> it's the only one I've used to any great extent.)
>
> Oh, and rolling your own VCS can work in specific situations, but it's
> probably going to work out a lot more efficient to use a well-known
> one, even if it does have a learning curve. I have a few places where
> I should probably migrate things to git.
>
> Chris Angelico

You're mistaking, SVN is not restricted to solo work. However it's more
suitable for solo work than git.
Git is just the current buzz about VCS. I guess some people are
switching to it without really knowing what's going on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ntrol_software

I tried to search for indicators about VCS usage without finding any but
I think that svn is still one the most used VCS. Anyway it's not about
which one is the most popular, but which one fits your need the best.
For the OP, that would be SVN IMO.

JM

Anssi Saari

Jean-Michel Pichavant <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> For a single user, there would be no merge issue.

Really? What about a single user with many computers and environments?
I find myself merging files on occasion because I edited them
separately and forgot to check in changes before doing more edits on a
different computer.

Jean-Michel Pichavant

Anssi Saari wrote:
> Jean-Michel Pichavant <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>> For a single user, there would be no merge issue.
>>

> Really? What about a single user with many computers and environments?
> I find myself merging files on occasion because I edited them
> separately and forgot to check in changes before doing more edits on a
> different computer.

I was talking about merge *issue* i.e merge resulting in conflicts that
are not easy to solve. With a single user most of the merge will be
solved automatically by any decent VCS.

JM

Thomas Rachel

Am 27.04.2011 13:17, schrieb Jean-Michel Pichavant:

> You're mistaking, SVN is not restricted to solo work. However it's more
> suitable for solo work than git.

Why?

I personally found hg much better than svn. That's why I migrated all my
projects.

Thomas

Tim Chase

On 04/27/2011 04:24 AM, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>> Mercurial – are the ones to choose from. Anoyone
>> recommending a VCS tool that has poor merging support (such
>> as Subversion or, heaven help us, CVS) is doing the newcomer
>> a disservice.

> True enough. But the modern crop of first-tier VCSen – Bazaar,
> Git, For a single user, there would be no merge issue. And svn
> is very simple to use.

There have been plenty of times I've needed to merge in SVN as a
solo developer. Usually I'll branch off maint. branches and spin
out feature branches. For the maint. branches, I want to apply
hot-fixes to the branch and then merge those hot-fixes into the
dev mainline. For the feature branches, I want to be able to
flip between mainline development and feature development without
one interfering with the other, but then easily pull changes from
one to the other.

And it's always been a pain. While I understand more recent SVN
releases should auto-mark things in a way that merging is less
painful, I find that it doesn't come remotely close to the ease
with which I can merge in other systems.

-tkc

Tim Chase

On 04/26/2011 09:45 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Tim Chase<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Bazaar (bzr)
>> ============
>> Cons:
>> - was slow, though I understand they've worked on improving this

> Right, that's not a count against Bazaar for at least the last several
> versions (since 2009 at least). Bazaar is easily fast enough for
> anything people use, say, Mercurial for.

Glad to hear. That was my biggest beef with bzr when I tried it
(c. 200, so if they've got that working well, it's worth my
time to revisit. Do you have a reference for timing improvements
against version number ("in version x.y, action Z took N ms; in
version x.[y+1], action Z took N-M ms")? I'm running Debian
Stable and sometimes it takes a little while for these features
to trickle down. But I *hope* changes in 2009 would have made it
in by now

>> Git (git)
>> =========
>> Pros:
>> - good documentation (though somewhat scattered)

> Hmm. Can't really overcome the rampant NIH syndrome: there is a lot that
> shouldn't *need* so much documentation if the interface were better
> designed from the start. I wouldn't count this as a pro for Git.

Yeah, I've encountered that aspect of the abundant documentation
on Git.

>> So that said, I've become a Mercurial user because the interface was
>> close to SVN which I used previously, and it was speedy on my older
>> machines. If bzr has come up to comparable speed, I'd be game to probe
>> it again.

> I recommend doing so.

Thanks for giving me something to do this weekend.

-tkc

Martin Schöön

This has been a pretty informative thread so far. Please keep it coming.
I am a hardware development guy and do very little software development.
I have been vaguely aware of tools for version control but inspired by
this thread I have started looking at Mercurial.

My humble contribution (from my boss really) since I have not seen it
mentioned here:
http://code.google.com/p/gource/ (I have zero experience of gource so
there is no point in asking me questions)

/Martin

Tim Chase

On 04/28/2011 04:50 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
>> This has been a pretty informative thread so far. Please keep it coming.
>> I am a hardware development guy and do very little software development.
>> I have been vaguely aware of tools for version control but inspired by
>> this thread I have started looking at Mercurial.

> After my passionate Bazaar evangelism?

I must say my takeaway from the thread was (1) check back in on
Bazaar to see if the speed is better than I remember and (2)
Fossil, wha? wow!

-tkc

Daniel Kluev

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Martin Schn <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> I seriously recommend anyone looking for a modern VCS to give Bazaar a
> decent trial. It's the one I've found newcomers learn most easily, and
> it's astoundingly flexible as one's needs with it grow.

When I was deciding what DVCS I should use for personal projects, Bzr
was first thing I tried. It was quite uncomfortable experience after
svn, esp. with branches and merges, working not the way I was
expecting it to.
Mercurial, on the contrary, did exactly what I was expecting it to,
and was overall very easy to learn.

--
With best regards,
Daniel Kluev