Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > " Mystery " Connection

" Mystery " Connection

Sparky

Windows 7 / 64 on my desktop connected to a D Link DIR -615.

Windows 7 Starter on my netbook.

When I look at Wireless connections , I see my default SSID ( which is
hidden in the router setup ) as well as ' Other Network ' . Both
connections show best signal strength.

I live on a large lot and from time to time , I can see both neighbour's
connections ( identified by their SSIDs ) so I don't believe it's a signal
from someone else ..?

When I try to connect to Other Network , I am prompted for a Network Name ,
at which point , I usually cancel as I only have my default which shows up
separately and connects every time.

My question is What could this connection be ?

TIA .

Brian Cryer

"Sparky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OGitp.44295$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows 7 / 64 on my desktop connected to a D Link DIR -615.
>
> Windows 7 Starter on my netbook.
>
> When I look at Wireless connections , I see my default SSID ( which is
> hidden in the router setup ) as well as ' Other Network ' . Both
> connections show best signal strength.
>
> I live on a large lot and from time to time , I can see both neighbour's
> connections ( identified by their SSIDs ) so I don't believe it's a signal
> from someone else ..?
>
> When I try to connect to Other Network , I am prompted for a Network Name
> , at which point , I usually cancel as I only have my default which shows
> up separately and connects every time.
>
> My question is What could this connection be ?

Two guesses:

Some wireless routers support two networks - typically the one you use plus
a guest network. This is the case for BT and FON routers, my virginmedia
router seems to support a guest network but its disabled. Is it possible its
from your router? and if so what router do you have?

I recall setting up an ad-hoc wireless network between devices when on
holiday once and the network ID still appeared when I got home. Is it
possibly a network you've set up? In which case you should be able to delete
it from your laptop.

BTW: Microsoft have abandoned their newsgroups, so you might get more

Hope this helps.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

The continuing mystery of my shakey connection... JakeD UK VOIP 24 09-19-2007 04:31 PM
NIC connection mystery nottoman@hotmail.com Computer Support 7 03-19-2006 09:04 PM
Mystery Bill McCarty Firefox 10 05-27-2005 04:35 AM
wifi mystery Txl Wireless Networking 4 03-25-2005 06:28 PM
Mystery Bill McCarty Firefox 5 12-31-2004 10:57 PM

Advertisments