Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Want to see an odd DOF effect?

Want to see an odd DOF effect?

RichA

Two shots. One with an Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 at f1.8. Same
again, with a Nikon 50mm Series E. Check out the (impossible?) extra
shallow DOF with the OM lens.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134159846

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134159847

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Two shots. One with an Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 at f1.8. Same
>again, with a Nikon 50mm Series E. Check out the (impossible?) extra
>shallow DOF with the OM lens.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134159846
>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134159847

The Zuiko lens was quite obviously focused at a distance shorter than
the distance to the first battery. So, just as with most of your
so-called "comparison tests", no conclusions of any kind can be drawn.

RichA

On Apr 24, 5:43*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Two shots. *One with an Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 at f1.8. *Same
> >again, with a Nikon 50mm Series E. *Check out the (impossible?) extra
> >shallow DOF with the OM lens.

> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134159846
> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134159847

> The Zuiko lens was quite obviously focused at a distance shorter than
> the distance to the first battery. *So, just as with most of your
> so-called "comparison tests", no conclusions of any kind can be drawn.

No, it hasn't been focused shorter.

RichA

On Apr 24, 6:25*am, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:43:14 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>Two shots. *One with an Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 at f1.8. *Same
> >>again, with a Nikon 50mm Series E. *Check out the (impossible?) extra
> >>shallow DOF with the OM lens.

> >>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134159846
> >>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134159847

> >The Zuiko lens was quite obviously focused at a distance shorter than
> >the distance to the first battery. *So, just as with most of your
> >so-called "comparison tests", no conclusions of any kind can be drawn.

> I agree.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

You people obviously can't tell the difference between sharpness and
focus errors.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Apr 24, 5:43*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Two shots. *One with an Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 at f1.8. *Same
>> >again, with a Nikon 50mm Series E. *Check out the (impossible?) extra
>> >shallow DOF with the OM lens.

>> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134159846
>> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/134159847

>> The Zuiko lens was quite obviously focused at a distance shorter than
>> the distance to the first battery. *So, just as with most of your
>> so-called "comparison tests", no conclusions of any kind can be drawn.

>No, it hasn't been focused shorter.

Oh yes it has.

You haven't even got the first battery in sharp focus. So this
"comparison test" tells you absolutely nothing.

RichA

On Apr 24, 12:41*pm, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Eric Stevens wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:43:14 +0100, Bruce<(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> >> The Zuiko lens was quite obviously focused at a distance shorter than
> >> the distance to the first battery. *So, just as with most of your
> >> so-called "comparison tests", no conclusions of any kind can be drawn.

> > I agree.

> Try focusing in the middle so you get some foreground and background OOF
> and can see from the wood table where the focus is. As shot, the focus
> is probably in the air in front of the table edge so you can't confirm
> it. An angled tape measure works very well for this kind of test; you
> can see where the numbers become illegible:http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...-7215760323110...

To satisfy the doubters, I'll shoot a ruler on the incline, they way
the you when calibrating focus. But I've seen this with Olympus
lenses before.

RichA

On Apr 24, 6:57*pm, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 07:28:45 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >On Apr 24, 6:25*am, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I agree.

> >> Regards,

> >> Eric Stevens

> >You people obviously can't tell the difference between sharpness and
> >focus errors.

> That's partly because of the way you set up the test. You should ave
> used a longer row of batteries and focussed on one several batteries
> back from the front.
>
> Better still you should have used a scale.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

Will do.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Apr 24, 12:41*pm, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Eric Stevens wrote:

>> > I agree.

>> Try focusing in the middle so you get some foreground and background OOF
>> and can see from the wood table where the focus is. As shot, the focus
>> is probably in the air in front of the table edge so you can't confirm
>> it. An angled tape measure works very well for this kind of test; you
>> can see where the numbers become illegible:http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...-7215760323110...

>To satisfy the doubters, I'll shoot a ruler on the incline, they way
>the you when calibrating focus. But I've seen this with Olympus
>lenses before.

You've seen it before? You mean, like we've all seen your inability
to carry out a properly controlled test before?

Perhaps you wanted *so much* to see a difference between the two
lenses that you deliberately focused the Olympus lens short of the
first battery?

RichA

On Apr 25, 3:31*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Try focusing in the middle so you get some foreground and background OOF
> >> and can see from the wood table where the focus is. As shot, the focus
> >> is probably in the air in front of the table edge so you can't confirm
> >> it. An angled tape measure works very well for this kind of test; you
> >> can see where the numbers become illegible:http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...-7215760323110......

> >To *satisfy the doubters, I'll shoot a ruler on the incline, they way
> >the you when calibrating focus. *But I've seen this with Olympus
> >lenses before.

> You've seen it before? *You mean, like we've all seen your inability
> to carry out a properly controlled test before?
>
> Perhaps you wanted *so much* to see a difference between the two
> lenses that you deliberately focused the Olympus lens short of the
> first battery?

So you are saying that my conclusions are wrong? Will you admit YOU
were wrong when I post the next test?

Peter N

illegible:http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...1/in/set-72157
60323110...http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...97/in/set-7215
760323110...

> >To satisfy the doubters, I'll shoot a ruler on the incline, they

way
> >the you when calibrating focus. But I've seen this with Olympus
> >lenses before.

> You've seen it before? You mean, like we've all seen your inability
> to carry out a properly controlled test before?

> Perhaps you wanted *so much* to see a difference between the two
> lenses that you deliberately focused the Olympus lens short of the
> first battery?

Perhaps someone else can duplicate the test. The results will be
confirmed or not.

--
Peter from my Droid

Odd behavior with odd code Michael Speer C Programming 33 02-18-2007 07:31 AM
DOF Software Charles Schuler Digital Photography 2 11-10-2003 07:03 PM
DoF preview Faiser Digital Photography 5 10-25-2003 02:20 PM
I want people to see what I see... Rick Altman Digital Photography 17 10-04-2003 05:44 PM
DOF on P&S digicams chibitul Digital Photography 3 09-16-2003 07:58 PM

Advertisments