Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IDE laptop drives at a reasonable price?

IDE laptop drives at a reasonable price?

~misfit~

As the subject says, does anyone know where I can get at least one or two,
maybe up to three new, or at least *modern* IDE laptop drives at a price
that won't prevent me from eating for months?

My hobby is playing with older ThinkPads these days. If I watch Tradme
dilligently enough I can, now and then, get a bargain that will keep my busy
and happy for quite a while. I'm not really buying to on-sell as I simply
don't have the capital to buy in that 'sector' of laptops. Most of mine are
as slow as a single-core Atom, if not slower. (Not taking the fatser memory
bus in the Atom-equipped netbooks.)

However they'd sure benefit from a faster HDD. Quite a few of them have 20,
30 or 40GB 4,200rpm drives and I know from experience that putting a newer
5,400rpm drive makes them *way* more usable. Alas! From what I can see a new
80GB IDE drive is around the same price as a 500GB SATA HDD, if not dearer!

LOL, now that the laptops are affordable for me to 'play' with the HDDs to
upgrade them a bit aren't.

I've looked at all of my bookmarked NZ computer dealers and it doesn't look
good. This post is almost a last resort really. I *know* that a PIII /
1.2GHz equipped laptop can be quite snappy but, with a 4,200rpm HDD startup
and load times are just abysmal. Even though this is mostly a hobby for me
I'd like to be able to use these things from time-to-time as well as just
refurbish them.

TIA for any help.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tony wrote:
> Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> As the subject says, does anyone know where I can get at least one
>>> or two, maybe up to three new, or at least *modern* IDE laptop
>>> drives at a price that won't prevent me from eating for months?
>>>
>>> My hobby is playing with older ThinkPads these days. If I watch
>>> Tradme dilligently enough I can, now and then, get a bargain that
>>> will keep my busy and happy for quite a while. I'm not really
>>> buying to on-sell as I simply don't have the capital to buy in that
>>> 'sector' of laptops. Most of mine are as slow as a single-core
>>> Atom, if not slower. (Not taking the fatser memory bus in the
>>> Atom-equipped netbooks.)
>>>
>>> However they'd sure benefit from a faster HDD. Quite a few of them
>>> have 20, 30 or 40GB 4,200rpm drives and I know from experience that
>>> putting a newer 5,400rpm drive makes them *way* more usable. Alas!
>>> From what I can see a new 80GB IDE drive is around the same price
>>> as a 500GB SATA HDD, if not dearer!
>>>
>>> LOL, now that the laptops are affordable for me to 'play' with the
>>> HDDs to upgrade them a bit aren't.
>>>
>>> I've looked at all of my bookmarked NZ computer dealers and it
>>> doesn't look good. This post is almost a last resort really. I
>>> *know* that a PIII /
>>> 1.2GHz equipped laptop can be quite snappy but, with a 4,200rpm HDD
>>> startup and load times are just abysmal. Even though this is mostly
>>> a hobby for me I'd like to be able to use these things from
>>> time-to-time as well as just refurbish them.
>>>
>>> TIA for any help.
>>> --
>>> Shaun.
>>>
>>> "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become
>>> a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes
>>> also
>>> into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

>> Have you tried Grays On Line
>> http://www.graysonline.co.nz/
>> I have purchased several computers from them. They come without any
>> OS or software but are usually well priced.
>> Be sure to be aware some are indicated as faulty.
>> Tony

> Sorry I just re-read your post and see that you you need some drives
> not whole units but they may still have something nice and cheap.
> Tony

Thanks Tony, it's been a long time since I looked at Grays, I'll give it
another go.

All the best for the long weekend.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Murray Symon

~misfit~ wrote:

> As the subject says, does anyone know where I can get at least one or two,
> maybe up to three new, or at least *modern* IDE laptop drives at a price
> that won't prevent me from eating for months?
>
> My hobby is playing with older ThinkPads these days. If I watch Tradme
> dilligently enough I can, now and then, get a bargain that will keep my
> busy and happy for quite a while. I'm not really buying to on-sell as I
> simply don't have the capital to buy in that 'sector' of laptops. Most of
> mine are as slow as a single-core Atom, if not slower. (Not taking the
> fatser memory bus in the Atom-equipped netbooks.)
>
> However they'd sure benefit from a faster HDD. Quite a few of them have
> 20, 30 or 40GB 4,200rpm drives and I know from experience that putting a
> newer 5,400rpm drive makes them *way* more usable. Alas! From what I can
> see a new 80GB IDE drive is around the same price as a 500GB SATA HDD, if
> not dearer!
>
> LOL, now that the laptops are affordable for me to 'play' with the HDDs to
> upgrade them a bit aren't.
>
> I've looked at all of my bookmarked NZ computer dealers and it doesn't
> look good. This post is almost a last resort really. I *know* that a PIII
> / 1.2GHz equipped laptop can be quite snappy but, with a 4,200rpm HDD
> startup and load times are just abysmal. Even though this is mostly a
> hobby for me I'd like to be able to use these things from time-to-time as
> well as just refurbish them.
>
> TIA for any help.

I just recently had the original IBM drive finally fail in my T23.
I bit the bullet and bought a new 5400 rpm drive from Ascent.
My choice of Ascent was based purely on being my "preferred supplier".
Older tech can be a lot dearer due to the dynamics of supply & demand.

Anyway, I can tell you that the new 5400 RPM drive performs far better
that the original IBM 4200 RPM drive. Boot time is nearly halved and
transfer speed is more than doubled (still not getting to 100MB/s).

Gordon

On 2011-04-23, Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> As the subject says, does anyone know where I can get at least one or two,
>> maybe up to three new, or at least *modern* IDE laptop drives at a price
>> that won't prevent me from eating for months?
>>
>> My hobby is playing with older ThinkPads these days. If I watch Tradme
>> dilligently enough I can, now and then, get a bargain that will keep my
>> busy and happy for quite a while. I'm not really buying to on-sell as I
>> simply don't have the capital to buy in that 'sector' of laptops. Most of
>> mine are as slow as a single-core Atom, if not slower. (Not taking the
>> fatser memory bus in the Atom-equipped netbooks.)
>>
>> However they'd sure benefit from a faster HDD. Quite a few of them have
>> 20, 30 or 40GB 4,200rpm drives and I know from experience that putting a
>> newer 5,400rpm drive makes them *way* more usable. Alas! From what I can
>> see a new 80GB IDE drive is around the same price as a 500GB SATA HDD, if
>> not dearer!
>>
>> LOL, now that the laptops are affordable for me to 'play' with the HDDs to
>> upgrade them a bit aren't.
>>
>> I've looked at all of my bookmarked NZ computer dealers and it doesn't
>> look good. This post is almost a last resort really. I *know* that a PIII
>> / 1.2GHz equipped laptop can be quite snappy but, with a 4,200rpm HDD
>> startup and load times are just abysmal. Even though this is mostly a
>> hobby for me I'd like to be able to use these things from time-to-time as
>> well as just refurbish them.
>>
>> TIA for any help.

> I just recently had the original IBM drive finally fail in my T23.
> I bit the bullet and bought a new 5400 rpm drive from Ascent.
> My choice of Ascent was based purely on being my "preferred supplier".
> Older tech can be a lot dearer due to the dynamics of supply & demand.
>
> Anyway, I can tell you that the new 5400 RPM drive performs far better
> that the original IBM 4200 RPM drive. Boot time is nearly halved and
> transfer speed is more than doubled (still not getting to 100MB/s).

So you and misfit agree on this point, like power freaks of internal
combustion engines. More revs is alaways better for power. The limits gather
quickly though after a certain point

Murray Symon

Gordon wrote:

> On 2011-04-23, Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> As the subject says, does anyone know where I can get at least one or
>>> two, maybe up to three new, or at least *modern* IDE laptop drives at a
>>> price that won't prevent me from eating for months?
>>>
>>> My hobby is playing with older ThinkPads these days. If I watch Tradme
>>> dilligently enough I can, now and then, get a bargain that will keep my
>>> busy and happy for quite a while. I'm not really buying to on-sell as I
>>> simply don't have the capital to buy in that 'sector' of laptops. Most
>>> of mine are as slow as a single-core Atom, if not slower. (Not taking
>>> the fatser memory bus in the Atom-equipped netbooks.)
>>>
>>> However they'd sure benefit from a faster HDD. Quite a few of them have
>>> 20, 30 or 40GB 4,200rpm drives and I know from experience that putting a
>>> newer 5,400rpm drive makes them *way* more usable. Alas! From what I can
>>> see a new 80GB IDE drive is around the same price as a 500GB SATA HDD,
>>> if not dearer!
>>>
>>> LOL, now that the laptops are affordable for me to 'play' with the HDDs
>>> to upgrade them a bit aren't.
>>>
>>> I've looked at all of my bookmarked NZ computer dealers and it doesn't
>>> look good. This post is almost a last resort really. I *know* that a
>>> PIII / 1.2GHz equipped laptop can be quite snappy but, with a 4,200rpm
>>> HDD startup and load times are just abysmal. Even though this is mostly
>>> a hobby for me I'd like to be able to use these things from time-to-time
>>> as well as just refurbish them.
>>>
>>> TIA for any help.

>> I just recently had the original IBM drive finally fail in my T23.
>> I bit the bullet and bought a new 5400 rpm drive from Ascent.
>> My choice of Ascent was based purely on being my "preferred supplier".
>> Older tech can be a lot dearer due to the dynamics of supply & demand.
>>
>> Anyway, I can tell you that the new 5400 RPM drive performs far better
>> that the original IBM 4200 RPM drive. Boot time is nearly halved and
>> transfer speed is more than doubled (still not getting to 100MB/s).

> So you and misfit agree on this point, like power freaks of internal
> combustion engines. More revs is alaways better for power. The limits
> gather quickly though after a certain point

An added bonus to the larger capacity (10x, in fact) is having more
data passing under the heads at each cylinder, without requiring
physical movement to the next cylinder. Plus larger cache buffer and
higher UDMA mode support all help to improve things.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Murray Symon wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> As the subject says, does anyone know where I can get at least one
>> or two, maybe up to three new, or at least *modern* IDE laptop
>> drives at a price that won't prevent me from eating for months?
>>
>> My hobby is playing with older ThinkPads these days. If I watch
>> Tradme dilligently enough I can, now and then, get a bargain that
>> will keep my busy and happy for quite a while. I'm not really buying
>> to on-sell as I simply don't have the capital to buy in that
>> 'sector' of laptops. Most of mine are as slow as a single-core Atom,
>> if not slower. (Not taking the fatser memory bus in the
>> Atom-equipped netbooks.)
>>
>> However they'd sure benefit from a faster HDD. Quite a few of them
>> have 20, 30 or 40GB 4,200rpm drives and I know from experience that
>> putting a newer 5,400rpm drive makes them *way* more usable. Alas!
>> From what I can see a new 80GB IDE drive is around the same price as
>> a 500GB SATA HDD, if not dearer!
>>
>> LOL, now that the laptops are affordable for me to 'play' with the
>> HDDs to upgrade them a bit aren't.
>>
>> I've looked at all of my bookmarked NZ computer dealers and it
>> doesn't look good. This post is almost a last resort really. I
>> *know* that a PIII / 1.2GHz equipped laptop can be quite snappy but,
>> with a 4,200rpm HDD startup and load times are just abysmal. Even
>> though this is mostly a hobby for me I'd like to be able to use
>> these things from time-to-time as well as just refurbish them.
>>
>> TIA for any help.

> I just recently had the original IBM drive finally fail in my T23.
> I bit the bullet and bought a new 5400 rpm drive from Ascent.
> My choice of Ascent was based purely on being my "preferred supplier".
> Older tech can be a lot dearer due to the dynamics of supply & demand.

Yes, so very true. It's just a shame that an interface that was mainstream
just five years ago is now considered "older tech". I'm all for newer /
faster / better but I wish "they" wouldn't /obsolete/ the previous tech so
damn quickly! I mean, sheeee-it, I've got a couple machines here that use
IDE HDDs that are more than adequate (and faster than new netbooks) but, as
you say, the dynamics of supply & demand mean that I'm paying ~10x the price
per GB for storage

Ok, I know how 'the commercial model' works and all that but surely we can't
really be shitting on our planet to the extent that, for the lack of a
faster HDD and some more RAM, perfectly capable computers are being turned
into landfill?

I have an IBM ThinkPad X31 here that is actually a *very* capable machine.
All that it lacks is more storage space (larger HDD) and a bit more RAM.
Leaving the RAM issue aside for now as the difference between SDRAM and DDR3
RAM is huge... The difference between IDE HDDs and a SATA HDD is basically a
few chips and the connector. They have probably 90%+ parts in common...

Why then are IDE drives nearly 10x the price per GB when the CPUs in these ~
8 - 10 year old machines are just as powerful, if not more so as the Atom
CPUs in netbooks? It's really ****ing me off.

> Anyway, I can tell you that the new 5400 RPM drive performs far better
> that the original IBM 4200 RPM drive. Boot time is nearly halved and
> transfer speed is more than doubled (still not getting to 100MB/s).

Oh, I don't doubt it. Sometime last year Seagate Momentus laptop drives
vanished from the NZ market and they had some sweet 7,200rpm drives in the
line-up. However even the WD 5,400rpm drives are fast (lightning fast
compared with 10 y/o 4,200rpm drives) and actually use less power with the
fluid dynamic bearings and large on-board caches.

The last two laptop IDE drives I bought were WD 80GB (as money's tight and
times are hard). They are single-platter high aureal density and actually
use significantly less power than the older 4,200rpm drives I've replaced. I
just think that it's criminal that they cost about the same as a SATA 500GB
7,200rpm HDD. The difference that said HDD swap makes to an ~8 y/o laptop is
huge. You've got to wonder what one of the now-unattainable Seagate 7,200rpm
drives would have made! (Not getting into the whole SSD thing here...)

Is it a conspiracy? Are "they" making it too expensive to upgrade an
otherwise perfectly good laptop in the hope that we'll go out and buy a
12-month warranty thin plastic, refective screen (but oh so trendy) netbook
instead of a rock-solid time-tested machine that will run rings around the
Atom...

ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! Sorry, just getting annoyed that these beautifully made and
still very useful machines are being pushed out by plastic shite. For what
it costs me to put a decent size IDE HDD and to max out the RAM into an X30
/ X31 I'm half-way to the cost of a new nutbook. Sorry, *net*book. The
keyboard on an X31 is such a pleasure to use and the whole machine just
oozes class, far more class than a EEEeeeeeeeee could dream of attaining....

Ok, rant over. Still, the question remains, where can I get new (or nearly
so) laptop IDE HDDs? Perhaps the 'economic model' is different in another
country and ordering from overseas is an option??

Cheers,
--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2011-04-23, Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> As the subject says, does anyone know where I can get at least one
>>> or two, maybe up to three new, or at least *modern* IDE laptop
>>> drives at a price that won't prevent me from eating for months?
>>>
>>> My hobby is playing with older ThinkPads these days. If I watch
>>> Tradme dilligently enough I can, now and then, get a bargain that
>>> will keep my busy and happy for quite a while. I'm not really
>>> buying to on-sell as I simply don't have the capital to buy in that
>>> 'sector' of laptops. Most of mine are as slow as a single-core
>>> Atom, if not slower. (Not taking the fatser memory bus in the
>>> Atom-equipped netbooks.)
>>>
>>> However they'd sure benefit from a faster HDD. Quite a few of them
>>> have 20, 30 or 40GB 4,200rpm drives and I know from experience that
>>> putting a newer 5,400rpm drive makes them *way* more usable. Alas!
>>> From what I can see a new 80GB IDE drive is around the same price
>>> as a 500GB SATA HDD, if not dearer!
>>>
>>> LOL, now that the laptops are affordable for me to 'play' with the
>>> HDDs to upgrade them a bit aren't.
>>>
>>> I've looked at all of my bookmarked NZ computer dealers and it
>>> doesn't look good. This post is almost a last resort really. I
>>> *know* that a PIII / 1.2GHz equipped laptop can be quite snappy
>>> but, with a 4,200rpm HDD startup and load times are just abysmal.
>>> Even though this is mostly a hobby for me I'd like to be able to
>>> use these things from time-to-time as well as just refurbish them.
>>>
>>> TIA for any help.

>> I just recently had the original IBM drive finally fail in my T23.
>> I bit the bullet and bought a new 5400 rpm drive from Ascent.
>> My choice of Ascent was based purely on being my "preferred
>> supplier". Older tech can be a lot dearer due to the dynamics of
>> supply & demand.
>>
>> Anyway, I can tell you that the new 5400 RPM drive performs far
>> better that the original IBM 4200 RPM drive. Boot time is nearly
>> halved and transfer speed is more than doubled (still not getting to
>> 100MB/s).

> So you and misfit agree on this point, like power freaks of internal
> combustion engines.

Or like some other group who agree on an obvious point, without the implied
put-down? Faster HDDs don't use more power but they produce hugely better
results.

> More revs is alaways better for power.

Power? nz.comp remember.....

> The limits
> gather quickly though after a certain point

Okay, I hope you enjoyed your easter saturday.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Murray Symon wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> On 2011-04-23, Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> I just recently had the original IBM drive finally fail in my T23.
>>> I bit the bullet and bought a new 5400 rpm drive from Ascent.
>>> My choice of Ascent was based purely on being my "preferred
>>> supplier". Older tech can be a lot dearer due to the dynamics of
>>> supply & demand.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I can tell you that the new 5400 RPM drive performs far
>>> better that the original IBM 4200 RPM drive. Boot time is nearly
>>> halved and transfer speed is more than doubled (still not getting
>>> to 100MB/s).

>> So you and misfit agree on this point, like power freaks of internal
>> combustion engines. More revs is alaways better for power. The limits
>> gather quickly though after a certain point

> An added bonus to the larger capacity (10x, in fact) is having more
> data passing under the heads at each cylinder, without requiring
> physical movement to the next cylinder. Plus larger cache buffer and
> higher UDMA mode support all help to improve things.

Exactly so. All without putting more power into the drive. Better bearings
and improved electronics give essentially *free* improvements. It would be
wonderful if IDE HDDs didn't cost essentially 10x what SATA HDDs cost on a
GB / GB basis.
--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> On 22/04/2011 4:50 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> As the subject says, does anyone know where I can get at least one
>> or two, maybe up to three new, or at least *modern* IDE laptop
>> drives at a price that won't prevent me from eating for months?
>>
>> My hobby is playing with older ThinkPads these days. If I watch
>> Tradme dilligently enough I can, now and then, get a bargain that
>> will keep my busy and happy for quite a while. I'm not really buying
>> to on-sell as I simply don't have the capital to buy in that
>> 'sector' of laptops. Most of mine are as slow as a single-core Atom,
>> if not slower. (Not taking the fatser memory bus in the
>> Atom-equipped netbooks.) However they'd sure benefit from a faster HDD.
>> Quite a few of them
>> have 20, 30 or 40GB 4,200rpm drives and I know from experience that
>> putting a newer 5,400rpm drive makes them *way* more usable. Alas!
>> From what I can see a new 80GB IDE drive is around the same price as
>> a 500GB SATA HDD, if not dearer! LOL, now that the laptops are affordable
>> for me to 'play' with the
>> HDDs to upgrade them a bit aren't.
>>
>> I've looked at all of my bookmarked NZ computer dealers and it
>> doesn't look good. This post is almost a last resort really. I
>> *know* that a PIII / 1.2GHz equipped laptop can be quite snappy but, with
>> a 4,200rpm HDD
>> startup and load times are just abysmal. Even though this is mostly
>> a hobby for me I'd like to be able to use these things from
>> time-to-time as well as just refurbish them.
>>
>> TIA for any help.

> I gave up and got a caddy off the internet to take a sata drive in
> where the optical one was on my thinkpad.

I have one of those for one of my ThinkPads. They utilise a 'lowest bidder'
bridge-chip to convert SATA signals to PATA and tend to be rather
inefficient. However they *do* allow the use of much larger HDDs.

That said the ThinkPads that I've been 'playing wth' recently (X3x range)
are 'ultraportables' and don't have an optical drive to swap for a SATA
drive. That said though they're brilliant little machines.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

PeeCee

On 22/04/2011 4:50 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> As the subject says, does anyone know where I can get at least one or two,
> maybe up to three new, or at least *modern* IDE laptop drives at a price
> that won't prevent me from eating for months?
>
> My hobby is playing with older ThinkPads these days. If I watch Tradme
> dilligently enough I can, now and then, get a bargain that will keep my busy
> and happy for quite a while. I'm not really buying to on-sell as I simply
> don't have the capital to buy in that 'sector' of laptops. Most of mine are
> as slow as a single-core Atom, if not slower. (Not taking the fatser memory
> bus in the Atom-equipped netbooks.)
>
> However they'd sure benefit from a faster HDD. Quite a few of them have 20,
> 30 or 40GB 4,200rpm drives and I know from experience that putting a newer
> 5,400rpm drive makes them *way* more usable. Alas! From what I can see a new
> 80GB IDE drive is around the same price as a 500GB SATA HDD, if not dearer!
>
> LOL, now that the laptops are affordable for me to 'play' with the HDDs to
> upgrade them a bit aren't.
>
> I've looked at all of my bookmarked NZ computer dealers and it doesn't look
> good. This post is almost a last resort really. I *know* that a PIII /
> 1.2GHz equipped laptop can be quite snappy but, with a 4,200rpm HDD startup
> and load times are just abysmal. Even though this is mostly a hobby for me
> I'd like to be able to use these things from time-to-time as well as just
> refurbish them.
>
> TIA for any help.

Hi Shaun

Wish you the best of luck.

I did a pile of T,R & X series Thinkpads last year with locked
motherboards for a colleague. They were 'very' cheap but my colleague
despite having much better industry contacts than I, hasn't been able to
source cheap hard drives in the six months since I did the job.

Best
Paul.