Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > learnpython.org - an online interactive Python tutorial

learnpython.org - an online interactive Python tutorial

Ron

Hey everyone.

I've written an online interactive Python tutorial atop Google App Engine: http://www.learnpython.org.

All you need to do is log in using your Google account and edit the wiki to add your tutorials.

Read more on the website.

Thanks for your help, and I would appreciate if you help me spread the word, and give me feedback on the website.

Matty Sarro

Awesome project, I really like it. I'll see if I can't help adding
some material that's missing when I get on the train.
Keep up the great work!

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> I've written an online interactive Python tutorial atop Google App Engine: http://www.learnpython.org.
>
> All you need to do is log in using your Google account and edit the wiki to add your tutorials.
>
> Read more on the website.
>
> Thanks for your help, and I would appreciate if you help me spread the word, and give me feedback on the website.

Terry Reedy

On 4/20/2011 1:15 PM, Ron wrote:

> I've written an online interactive Python tutorial atop Google App Engine:

http://www.learnpython.org.

Currently giving 500 server error. Hope something clears up.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Chris Angelico

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> I've written an online interactive Python tutorial atop Google App Engine: http://www.learnpython.org.

That looks very handy! And I notice you've protected yourself by
running it in a sandbox:

import time
time.sleep(3)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/base/data/home/apps/learnpythoneasy/1.349862757547785986/main.py",
line 93, in post
exec(cmd, safe_globals)
File "&lt;string>", line 1, in &lt;module>
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

hehe

Quite a few people on Threshold RPG have spoken to me about learning
programming, and I usually point them to Python or Pike; I think this
site will be where I start pointing people. Looks good!

ChrisA

Algis Kabaila

On Thursday 21 April 2011 03:15:50 Ron wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> I've written an online interactive Python tutorial atop
> Google App Engine: http://www.learnpython.org.
>
> All you need to do is log in using your Google account and
> edit the wiki to add your tutorials.
>
> Read more on the website.
>
> Thanks for your help, and I would appreciate if you help me
> spread the word, and give me feedback on the website.

Quote:
Python is completely object oriented, and not "strongly typed"
False: Python IS strongly typed, without doubt (though the
variables are not explicitly declared.)

Explicit declaration and strong typing are two completely
differen things. If you are going to teach (and that is what
tutorials are for), it is obligatory to learn first...

OldAl.
--
Algis
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis.pdf

Chris Angelico

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Algis Kabaila <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> False: Python IS strongly typed, without doubt (though the
> variables are not explicitly declared.)

Strongly duck-typed though. If I create a class that has all the right
members, it can simultaneously be a file, an iterable, a database, and
probably even a web browser if it feels like it. Is that strong typing
or not?

Chris Angelico

harrismh777

Algis Kabaila wrote:

Quote:
> Python is completely object oriented, and not "strongly typed"
>

> False: Python IS strongly typed, without doubt (though the
> variables are not explicitly declared.)

Playing the advocate for a moment here, this is something that I was
confused about early on also... and frankly, you are both correct, but
from different vantage points.

Python IS strongly typed in that operations may only be applied to
objects that support 'that' operation... numbers support (+) and also
strings support (+) , although, the (+) does 'different' things
depending on the object type. You might look at this as STRONGLY typed
and you would be correct... however, you might look on this as weakly
typed and you would still be correct... because why?

Because, the programmer doesn't have to worry about the 'types' she is
using ... the object based nature of the language and polymorphism come
together so that the 'right thing' happens with (+) regardless of
type... see? weakly typed...

In C the programmer is always considering what 'type' is this thing...
even testing for it... and C is considered by those programmers (yes, me
) as STRONGLY typed. The types must be declared ahead of time for sure,
but that's not the point... the point is that the 'type' matters and
must always be on the front lobes in thinking about logic.

In Python much of the thinking about types is not even necessary.. for
the most part... and by design. In this way of thinking the language is
weakly typed... on the other hand, because the objects may be only
manipulated by operations they support, this makes Python STRONGLY
typed. Confused yet???

How one thinks about this depends on programming background, what is
meant by 'type' and how the programmer differentiates thinking about
types as variables versus objects.

Having said all of that, I agree that Python should be classified as
STRONGLY typed... and this classification should always come with an
explanation ... especially to new advocates writing tutorials...

kind regards,
m harris

Heiko Wundram

Am 21.04.2011 09:19, schrieb Chris Angelico:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Algis Kabaila <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> False: Python IS strongly typed, without doubt (though the
>> variables are not explicitly declared.)

> Strongly duck-typed though. If I create a class that has all the right
> members, it can simultaneously be a file, an iterable, a database, and
> probably even a web browser if it feels like it. Is that strong typing
> or not?

Yes, that's strong typing, because your class only works in those
contexts that you "explicitly" allow it to work in (through implementing
an interface, be it an iterator, a file, etc.), independent of
"duck-typing" (which is pretty much described by the term
interface-based typing IMHO).

The difference between strong typing and weak typing is best described by:

Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Jun 12 2010, 17:07:01)
[GCC 4.3.4 20090804 (release) 1] on cygwin
>>> 1+'2'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'int' and 'str'

which means that the interface for implementing "+" on the input types
"int" and "str" isn't implemented (i.e., TypeError). Weakly typed
languages allow this to work:

modelnine@gj-celle ~ $ php
<?php echo 1+'2'; ?>
3
modelnine@gj-celle ~ $

through all kinds of type-casting magic, which isn't explicitly
specified as interfaces on the objects (PHP also has integer and string
objects) themselves.

--
--- Heiko.

Westley Martínez

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 05:19:29PM +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Algis Kabaila <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > False: Python IS strongly typed, without doubt (though the
> > variables are not explicitly declared.)

> Strongly duck-typed though. If I create a class that has all the right
> members, it can simultaneously be a file, an iterable, a database, and
> probably even a web browser if it feels like it. Is that strong typing
> or not?
>
> Chris Angelico

It's strong typing. Python does not implicitly convert types. Weak typing is
when I can do 1 + "1" and get 2.

MRAB

On 21/04/2011 15:14, Westley Martínez wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 05:19:29PM +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Algis Kabaila<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> False: Python IS strongly typed, without doubt (though the
>>> variables are not explicitly declared.)

>> Strongly duck-typed though. If I create a class that has all the right
>> members, it can simultaneously be a file, an iterable, a database, and
>> probably even a web browser if it feels like it. Is that strong typing
>> or not?
>>
>> Chris Angelico
>> --

> It's strong typing. Python does not implicitly convert types. Weak typing is
> when I can do 1 + "1" and get 2.

It could be argued that it does implicit convert for some numeric
types, eg int to float when needed.