Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Recovering files from corrupted HDD?

Recovering files from corrupted HDD?

John S

Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
using to store images of partitions of several computers.

Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
socket on the computer it was connected to.

Connected to another computer, Windows recognises the HDD and its two
partitions are given drive letters, but windows says the drive needs
formatting before it can be used.

I guess the problem may be a trashed file table, (but strange that both
partitions are shown as being unformatted as I assumed their file tables
would be in separate places).

Anyway, I'm thinking that most of the files could possibly still be OK if
there was some way of reconstructing the file tables.

Good job I was on my own when it happened, as I used some colourful
language that surprised myself an all.

Any practical ideas for rescuing the files would be welcome.

cheers,

John S

PS - Yes, I still have some older backups on another drive, but it would
save me some work if there was a relatively easy way to get at the files
and recover them.

Squiggle

On Apr 20, 10:52*pm, John S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
> using to store images of partitions of several computers.
>
> Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
> socket on the computer it was connected to.
>
> Connected to another computer, Windows recognises the HDD and its two
> partitions are given drive letters, but windows says the drive needs
> formatting before it can be used.
>
> I guess the problem may be a trashed file table, (but strange that both
> partitions are shown as being unformatted as I assumed their file tables
> would be in separate places).
>
> Anyway, I'm thinking that most of the files could possibly still be OK if
> there was some way of reconstructing the file tables.
>
> Good job I was on my own when it happened, as I used some colourful
> language that surprised myself an all.
>
> Any practical ideas for rescuing the files would be welcome.
>
> cheers,
>
> John S
>
> PS - Yes, I still have some older backups on another drive, but it would
> save me some work if there was a relatively easy way to get at the files
> and recover them.

Step 1a) Make a sector level backup image of the corrupt drive before
you do anything else. I suggest not using one with a stuffed USB
port
Step 1b) Make another copy...

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk is worth a go, it's saved
files for me in the past.

William Brown

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:52:52 +1200, John S <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
>using to store images of partitions of several computers.
>
>Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
>socket on the computer it was connected to.
>
>Connected to another computer, Windows recognises the HDD and its two
>partitions are given drive letters, but windows says the drive needs
>formatting before it can be used.
>
>I guess the problem may be a trashed file table, (but strange that both
>partitions are shown as being unformatted as I assumed their file tables
>would be in separate places).
>
>Anyway, I'm thinking that most of the files could possibly still be OK if
>there was some way of reconstructing the file tables.
>
>Good job I was on my own when it happened, as I used some colourful
>language that surprised myself an all.
>
>Any practical ideas for rescuing the files would be welcome.
>
>cheers,
>
>John S
>
>PS - Yes, I still have some older backups on another drive, but it would
>save me some work if there was a relatively easy way to get at the files
>and recover them.

What OS and type of Files ie NTFS.

I think you just need to restore the Partition info and MBR, widows can
do that with the command consul.

Gib Bogle

On 4/21/2011 1:52 AM, William Brown wrote:

> I think you just need to restore the Partition info and MBR, widows can
> do that with the command consul.

Some widows do it with just about anyone, not just the consul.

Peter Huebner

In article <fgdztz4e9anc.chbo4gobl368$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d says...

> Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
> using to store images of partitions of several computers.
>
> Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
> socket on the computer it was connected to.
>
> Connected to another computer, Windows recognises the HDD and its two
> partitions are given drive letters, but windows says the drive needs
> formatting before it can be used.
>
> I guess the problem may be a trashed file table, (but strange that both
> partitions are shown as being unformatted as I assumed their file tables
> would be in separate places).
>
> Anyway, I'm thinking that most of the files could possibly still be OK if
> there was some way of reconstructing the file tables.
>
> Good job I was on my own when it happened, as I used some colourful
> language that surprised myself an all.
>
> Any practical ideas for rescuing the files would be welcome.
>
> cheers,
>
> John S
>
> PS - Yes, I still have some older backups on another drive, but it would
> save me some work if there was a relatively easy way to get at the files
> and recover them.

Google "Photorec". Great piece of software that does not rely on file system
information to recover files but actually searches sectors on disk. I've
successfully used it in the past to pull documents off a trashed harddrive.
Lil' bit of a learning curve (I used the linux version), but hey ...
I understand there's a MS Windows based version around also, which will be
easier to use if you're not familiar with commands for root access, mounting
drives, setting write permissions, and all that jazz in linux.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

h.t.h. -P.

Donchano

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:52:25 +1200, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>widows can do that with the command consul.

Before or after the husbands' funerals?

--

Ignorance is the coin of the masses ... and some are richer than others.

Msgr Scooter

On , , Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:29:33 +1200, Re: Recovering files from corrupted
HDD?, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:52:25 +1200, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>
>shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>widows can do that with the command consul.

>Before or after the husbands' funerals?

During sometimes!

to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.

John S

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:59:28 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

> In article <fgdztz4e9anc.chbo4gobl368$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)d says...
>>
>> Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
>> using to store images of partitions of several computers.
>>
>> Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
>> socket on the computer it was connected to.

snip
> Google "Photorec". Great piece of software that does not rely on file system
> information to recover files but actually searches sectors on disk. I've
> successfully used it in the past to pull documents off a trashed harddrive.
> Lil' bit of a learning curve (I used the linux version), but hey ...
> I understand there's a MS Windows based version around also, which will be
> easier to use if you're not familiar with commands for root access, mounting
> drives, setting write permissions, and all that jazz in linux.
>
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
>
> h.t.h. -P.

Thanks,

I've had a quick look at the explanation on the above link, and downloaded
the two utilities (Test Disk and PhotoRec).

Will need to do a bit of reading and thinking as it looks a bit
complicated.

I have the Terabyte BING software and will see if I can make an image of
the drive first and work from that (assuming that the recovery software can
understand the image file type created by BING).

Eventually will report back on what happened.

Cheers,

John S

John S

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:52:25 +1200, William Brown wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:52:52 +1200, John S <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
>>using to store images of partitions of several computers.
>>
>>Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
>>socket on the computer it was connected to.

snip

> What OS and type of Files ie NTFS.
>
> I think you just need to restore the Partition info and MBR, widows can
> do that with the command consul.

There is no OS on this external HDD.
File system is NTFS.

My own computer has Windows XP, but I could plug the drive into other
computers with Vista or Win 7.

Cheers,

John S

John S

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 04:13:33 -0700 (PDT), Squiggle wrote:

> On Apr 20, 10:52*pm, John S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
>> using to store images of partitions of several computers.
>>
>> Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
>> socket on the computer it was connected to.

snip

> Step 1a) Make a sector level backup image of the corrupt drive before
> you do anything else. I suggest not using one with a stuffed USB
> port
> Step 1b) Make another copy...
>
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk is worth a go, it's saved
> files for me in the past.