Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Remote Connection

Remote Connection

ray

I wonder if there is a solution to provide remote connections between
two computers similar to Remote Desktop. The difference I am looking
for is to be able to deliver speech/audio from the local machine to
the remote machine which will process the audio via Dragon Naturally
Speaking.

As an additional point, I would like to be able to deliver speech to
that remote computer from a cell phone.

I would appreciate all considerations.

The current remote machine is an XP Pro SP2, the local machine
is . . . right now an XP Pro but will change to a Windows 7 Pro. I do
not have a cell for this; I am waiting to see if any solution may
dictate the cell details.

ray

ray

On Apr 19, 8:23*pm, Chris Rebert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I wonder if there is a solution to provide remote connections between
> > two computers similar to Remote Desktop. *The difference I am looking
> > for is to be able to deliver speech/audio from the local machine to
> > the remote machine which will process the audio via Dragon Naturally
> > Speaking.

> > As an additional point, I would like to be able to deliver speech to
> > that remote computer from a cell phone.

> > I would appreciate all considerations.

> > The current remote machine is an XP Pro SP2, the local machine
> > is . . . right now an XP Pro but will change to a Windows 7 Pro. *I do
> > not have a cell for this; I am waiting to see if any solution may
> > dictate the cell details.

> How does this specifically involve Python at all, pray tell?
>
> Regards,
> Chris- Hide quoted text -

Chris,

The speech commands will scripted in Python. Dragonfly is the Python
project to coordinate this but does not address connectivity.

So I am wondering if there have been any Python projects to address
the connectivity.

ray

Irmen de Jong

On 20-04-11 05:26, ray wrote:

> The speech commands will scripted in Python. Dragonfly is the Python
> project to coordinate this but does not address connectivity.
>
> So I am wondering if there have been any Python projects to address
> the connectivity.
>
> ray

I'm not quite sure what you want exactly, but maybe one or more of the
available Python rpc modules/libraries can be used to your needs?

They offer communication between Python processes on separate machines,
but may not be entirely suitable for your needs of audio data transfer.
Still, they should be able to transfer chunks of audio data in some way
to a remote machine. Some protocols are better suited for this than others.

Some libraries that may be useful perhaps:
Pyro (see http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pyro4/ )
xmlrpclib (part of the standard library)
or perhaps even httplib or ftplib ?

Hth,
Irmen.