Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Rebuilding my PC

Rebuilding my PC

Roky

My HP athlon 4600 pc, 2 gb ram, stopped working, no signal detected on
monitor.
CPU heat sink was totally covered in dirt and I was getting some high
temperature readings, some over 65C.
I tried replacing video card. Still no signal to monitor.
Tried removing one 1gb ram , then the other, still no signal detected.

So I think the problem is the CPU or motherboard, most likely CPU. I
think its worth trying to fix the pc.

I am thinking of getting a used one on Ebay . My question is can I
replace it with any
processor number?Mine is a socket AM2.
Mine is 4600 can i use a 4000 or a 5000 etc?
Would the higher numbers run hotter?
Would that be a problem as I dont like it when my fan gets noisy
though I think that problem was due to all the dirt on the heat sink.

How much difference in speed between 2.0 Ghz and 2.5 Ghz and 3.0Ghz?

thanks

There is one listed on ebay as : Price $85
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2 GHz ADX6400IAA6CZ w / Grease
Worldwide shipping, Windsor, Socket AM2
Thermal Design Power 125 W

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz + Cooler
Item condition: Used
Time left: 8h 40m 44s (Apr 18, 201121:43:09 PDT)
Bid history:
1 bid[Refresh bidhistory]
Current bid: US $10.00

Jeff Strickland

"Roky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My HP athlon 4600 pc, 2 gb ram, stopped working, no signal detected on
> monitor.
> CPU heat sink was totally covered in dirt and I was getting some high
> temperature readings, some over 65C.
> I tried replacing video card. Still no signal to monitor.
> Tried removing one 1gb ram , then the other, still no signal detected.
>
> So I think the problem is the CPU or motherboard, most likely CPU. I
> think its worth trying to fix the pc.
>
> I am thinking of getting a used one on Ebay . My question is can I
> replace it with any
> processor number?Mine is a socket AM2.
> Mine is 4600 can i use a 4000 or a 5000 etc?
> Would the higher numbers run hotter?
> Would that be a problem as I dont like it when my fan gets noisy
> though I think that problem was due to all the dirt on the heat sink.
>
> How much difference in speed between 2.0 Ghz and 2.5 Ghz and 3.0Ghz?
>
> thanks

Have you swapped the monitor to be sure there is no signal present instead
of the monitor refusing to use the signal that comes to it?

Jeff Strickland

"Roky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My HP athlon 4600 pc, 2 gb ram, stopped working, no signal detected on
> monitor.
> CPU heat sink was totally covered in dirt and I was getting some high
> temperature readings, some over 65C.
> I tried replacing video card. Still no signal to monitor.
> Tried removing one 1gb ram , then the other, still no signal detected.
>
> So I think the problem is the CPU or motherboard, most likely CPU. I
> think its worth trying to fix the pc.
>
> I am thinking of getting a used one on Ebay . My question is can I
> replace it with any
> processor number?Mine is a socket AM2.
> Mine is 4600 can i use a 4000 or a 5000 etc?
> Would the higher numbers run hotter?
> Would that be a problem as I dont like it when my fan gets noisy
> though I think that problem was due to all the dirt on the heat sink.
>
> How much difference in speed between 2.0 Ghz and 2.5 Ghz and 3.0Ghz?
>
> thanks

Have you swapped the monitor to be sure there is no signal present instead
of the monitor refusing to use the signal that comes to it?

Paul

Roky wrote:
> My HP athlon 4600 pc, 2 gb ram, stopped working, no signal detected on
> monitor.
> CPU heat sink was totally covered in dirt and I was getting some high
> temperature readings, some over 65C.
> I tried replacing video card. Still no signal to monitor.
> Tried removing one 1gb ram , then the other, still no signal detected.
>
> So I think the problem is the CPU or motherboard, most likely CPU. I
> think its worth trying to fix the pc.
>
> I am thinking of getting a used one on Ebay . My question is can I
> replace it with any
> processor number?Mine is a socket AM2.
> Mine is 4600 can i use a 4000 or a 5000 etc?
> Would the higher numbers run hotter?
> Would that be a problem as I dont like it when my fan gets noisy
> though I think that problem was due to all the dirt on the heat sink.
>
> How much difference in speed between 2.0 Ghz and 2.5 Ghz and 3.0Ghz?
>
> thanks
>
> There is one listed on ebay as : Price $85
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2 GHz ADX6400IAA6CZ w / Grease
> Worldwide shipping, Windsor, Socket AM2
> Thermal Design Power 125 W
>

> AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz + Cooler
> Item condition: Used
> Time left: 8h 40m 44s (Apr 18, 201121:43:09 PDT)
> Bid history:
> 1 bid[Refresh bidhistory]
> Current bid: US $10.00

You say you are getting no picture.

When you start the computer, does the computer "beep" at all. A "beep" pattern
implies the computer has a problem with system RAM or the video card. On home
built computers, the beep comes from a speaker mounted inside the computer case.
On pre-built computers, like your HP, a piezoelectric speaker on the motherboard
itself (black, size of a quarter coin), may do the beeping.

Once the BIOS gets past the point of testing the video card and the system
RAM, if there is an error condition, it'll be printed on the screen.

Since you're "blind" to the activities of the computer, next you look at
the hard drive LED on the front panel. Does the hard drive LED flash, as
if the OS is booting normally ? If you see a fairly normal looking LED pattern,
then that would imply the system is coming up normally, and only the video output
is defective. Or as Jeff suggests, it is an LCD monitor problem.

If the LED blinks hardly at all, that tells you the system is stuck at the BIOS
level. Or even crashed, and attempting to show a blue screen.

Since you've also purchased another computer, you can borrow the monitor
from that new computer temporarily, and use it to test the video card output
on your 4600 pc.

*******

In terms of purchasing Athlon64 processors, they each use different amounts
of power. For example, some motherboards are limited to 95W processors, and
can't really handle a 125W or 140W processor. You'd need evidence your motherboard
is capable. I don't see a mention of what processor is in the computer now.
You can sometimes get an idea from looking at the VCore components present
on the motherboard, but that isn't a 100% reliable way to do it. And HP may
not offer much in the way of compatibility information.

Also, is "HP 4600" a complete description of the model information ? Is
it a "Pavilion" ? What product line does it come from ? I'm having
trouble finding the web page for it.

Paul

Roky

On Apr 18, 12:12*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Roky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > My HP athlon 4600 pc, 2 gb ram, stopped working, no signal detected on
> > monitor.
> > CPU heat sink was totally covered in dirt and I was getting some high
> > temperature readings, some over 65C.
> > I tried replacing video card. Still no signal to monitor.
> > Tried removing one 1gb ram , then the other, still no signal detected.

> > So I think the problem is the CPU or motherboard, most likely CPU. I
> > think its worth trying to fix the pc.

> > I am thinking of getting a used one on Ebay . My question is can I
> > replace it with any
> > processor number?Mine is a socket AM2.
> > Mine is 4600 can i use a 4000 or a 5000 etc?
> > Would the higher numbers run hotter?
> > Would that be a problem as I dont like it when my fan gets noisy
> > though I think that problem was due to all the dirt on the heat sink.

> > How much difference in speed between 2.0 Ghz and 2.5 Ghz and 3.0Ghz?

> > thanks

> Have you swapped the monitor to be sure there is no signal present instead
> of the monitor refusing to use the signal that comes to it?

My monitor is a samsung tv with VGA and HDMI inputs. No signal
detected on either.
I also have a PC monitor same deal, no signal.

Roky

On Apr 18, 12:25*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> from that new computer temporarily, and use it to test the video card output
> on your 4600 pc.
>
> *******
>
> In terms of purchasing Athlon64 processors, they each use different amounts
> of power. For example, some motherboards are limited to 95W processors, and
> can't really handle a 125W or 140W processor. You'd need evidence your motherboard
> is capable. I don't see a mention of what processor is in the computer now.
> You can sometimes get an idea from looking at the VCore components present
> on the motherboard, but that isn't a 100% reliable way to do it. And HP may
> not offer much in the way of compatibility information.
>
> Also, is "HP 4600" a complete description of the model information ? Is
> it a "Pavilion" ? What product line does it come from ? I'm having

Thanks. PC is HP pavilion m7580n
As I remember when I pushed the start button the fans came on, I dont
recall the flashing lights doing much.
I didnt know the motherboard might not handle it. So it guess it
would be best to stick to something close to original maybe UP TO 5000
The 4600 is the number on the Athlon 2x dual core processor,I know it
is Socket AM2.
the 4600 appears to equal to a 2.4Ghz

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7580n Desktop PC Product Specifications

Product number
EX332AA
Introduction date
14-Jun-2006

Hardware
Base processor
Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4400+ 2.2 GHz (or better)

*
2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
*
Socket AM2

Chipset
GeForce 6150 LE
Motherboard

*
Manufacturer: Asus
*
Motherboard Name: A8M2N-LA
*
HP/Compaq motherboard name: NodusM-GL8E

Paul

Roky wrote:
> [...]

>> Paul

> Thanks. PC is HP pavilion m7580n
> As I remember when I pushed the start button the fans came on, I dont
> recall the flashing lights doing much.
> I didnt know the motherboard might not handle it. So it guess it
> would be best to stick to something close to original maybe UP TO 5000
> The 4600 is the number on the Athlon 2x dual core processor,I know it
> is Socket AM2.
> the 4600 appears to equal to a 2.4Ghz
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
>
> HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7580n Desktop PC Product Specifications
>
> Product number
> EX332AA
> Introduction date
> 14-Jun-2006
>

> Hardware
> Base processor
> Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4400+ 2.2 GHz (or better)

This page, says "Athlon 64 X2 up to 5000+".

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...en&lc=en&cc=us

I found a page here, where it would appear users are plugging in
CPUs and testing them. One problem is, verifying the forum threads below
corresponds to the correct motherboard or not. The comments seem to
indicate that the BIOS may have issues recognizing some of the
processors. A BIOS update might have helped that, if you'd done
a BIOS update before the board stopped functioning properly.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/A8M2N-LA.html

*******

At this point, we don't know the processor is fried. The processor is
protected by THERMTRIP, for any modern Intel or AMD processor. The
last AMD processor to be unprotected, would be Athlon (S462, and before
AthlonXP or the like). So in terms of catastrophic overheat, when a heatsink
falls off, it should turn off the power supply when that happens. So
I wouldn't assume because it got a little warm, that it is dead.
It has at least one form of protection to stop that.

I'd probably start by doing a visual inspection of the capacitors
around the motherboard socket, just to see if it is a motherboard
failure instead.

In this example, the two blue ones (capacitors) in the lower left
have flat tops and are OK. The one with the "orange goo" next to
them, is bad and is leaking. The larger blue one, roughly in the
center of the photo, is bulging on top, which means pressure is
building inside it - it is bad also. Those are examples of bad
capacitors. A bad capacitor on a motherboard, can cause the CPU
to become unstable and crash early in the boot sequence.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4/PSU_Caps.jpg

Also, verify the two power connectors are fully seated. Each
power connector (the big main one, and the ATX12V 2x2 square power
lead for the processor) both have retention latches. The latch holds
the connector in place, and prevents it from "walking out" of the
socket. Check that both connectors are in place. You can also
temporarily pull the 2x2 and the main power connector, and inspect
for shiny pins. If the pins are dull or black, they may have
been burned. Put the connectors back and make sure they're fully
seated again, and that the latch is engaged on each.

Also check your reset switch. Some (cheap) switches, get crushed in
the "on" position. If the reset switch is crushed "on", then the
board stays in reset, and the processor can't execute instructions
in that state.

Those are some examples of simple things to check, before
running off and buying something.

Paul

Bville

Try replacing the power supply first.