Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python IDE/text-editor

Python IDE/text-editor

Albert van der Horst

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Geany I've tried in the past, it's really buggy on my home computer
>and at Uni... however from my phone it works wonderfully! (Use it for
>C++ projects on Rhobuntu)
>
>Eric 4 was suggested to me on the #python channel on Freenode...
>however I've never been able to get it compiled/working. Too many
>dependencies I'm guessing...
>
>PTK looks great, and does everything I want (from screenshots).
>Unfortunately, it doesn't run on my system; Win7 x64, Python 2.7.1
>x64, WxPython 2.8 x64. Install ran as admin.
>
>Emacs and vim still seem like good alternatives, when I get the time.
>However, currently have 3 assignments to start and finish so would
>like a simple Notepad2 with python interpreter attached (and keyboard
>shortcut to run script) type program.
>
>Please continue recommending
>
>Thanks,
>
>Alec Taylor

You will never be satisfied, until you've written something yourself.
Start writing now. A friend of mine started writing in 1983,
and since 1985 I'm a happy user. The only language that is a candidate
to write in is C, however.

Groetjes Albert

Alec Taylor

Your probably right.

I suppose I'll just wait till I finish my fooIDE project

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Albert van der Horst
> <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl> wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Alec Taylor *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Geany I've tried in the past, it's really buggy on my home computer
>>>and at Uni... however from my phone it works wonderfully! (Use it for
>>>C++ projects on Rhobuntu)
>>>
>>>Eric 4 was suggested to me on the #python channel on Freenode...
>>>however I've never been able to get it compiled/working. Too many
>>>dependencies I'm guessing...
>>>
>>>PTK looks great, and does everything I want (from screenshots).
>>>Unfortunately, it doesn't run on my system; Win7 x64, Python 2.7.1
>>>x64, WxPython 2.8 x64. Install ran as admin.
>>>
>>>Emacs and vim still seem like good alternatives, when I get the time.
>>>However, currently have 3 assignments to start and finish so would
>>>like a simple Notepad2 with python interpreter attached (and keyboard
>>>shortcut to run script) type program.
>>>
>>>Please continue recommending
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Alec Taylor

>> You will never be satisfied, until you've written something yourself.
>> Start writing now. A friend of mine started writing in 1983,
>> and since 1985 I'm a happy user. The only language that is a candidate
>> to write in is C, however.
>>
>> Groetjes Albert
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Albert van der Horst, UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS
>> Economic growth -- being exponential -- ultimately falters.
>> albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst
>>
>> --

Alec Taylor

!!!

=]

http://code.google.com/p/fooide

Contact me if you'd like to join the project

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Yico Gaga <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * foolDE !!!
>
> 2011/4/29 Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> Your probably right.
>>
>> I suppose I'll just wait till I finish my fooIDE project

JussiJ

On Apr 16, 1:20 pm, Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
> code-completion, tabs,

The Zeus editor does offers all these features:

http://www.zeusedit.com/

Zeus is also scriptable and Zeus scripts can be written in Python.

Zeus also does Python smart indenting and code folding.

> an embedded interpreter and which is portable

Zeus does not have an embedded Python interpreter, but by using
something like tee.exe it should be possible to emulate this:

http://www.zeusedit.com/zforum/viewtopic.php?t=3156

> (for running from USB on Windows).

Zeus is a Windows editor but it is not a Protable application.

NOTE: Zeus is shareware.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows

Alec Taylor

No thanks, it's shareware, doesn't included embedded python
interpreter out-of-the-box, and isn't portable.

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:39 PM, JussiJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 1:20 pm, Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
>> code-completion, tabs,

> The Zeus editor does offers all these features:
>
> * *http://www.zeusedit.com/
>
> Zeus is also scriptable and Zeus scripts can be written in Python.
>
> Zeus also does Python smart indenting and code folding.
>
>> an embedded interpreter and which is portable

> Zeus does not have an embedded Python interpreter, but by using
> something like tee.exe it should be possible to emulate this:
>
> * *http://www.zeusedit.com/zforum/viewtopic.php?t=3156
>
>> (for running from USB on Windows).

> Zeus is a Windows editor but it is not a Protable application.
>
> NOTE: Zeus is shareware.
>
> Jussi Jumppanen
> Author: Zeus for Windows

Matty Sarro

Pydev for eclipse/aptana

On Saturday, May 7, 2011, emato <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On Apr 16, 1:20 pm, Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
>>> code-completion, tabs,

> gedit
>
> http://projects.gnome.org/gedit/index.html

Mali Laurent

On Apr 16, 5:20*am, Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
> code-completion, tabs, an embedded interpreter and which is portable
> (for running from USB on Windows).
>
> Here's a mockup of the app I'm looking for:http://i52.tinypic.com/2uojswz..png
>
> Which would you recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

What about geany? I mostly use that. And sometimes eclipse with
python support.

JussiJ

On Apr 17, 7:13 pm, Wolfgang Keller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > You can't run Python programs without a Python interpreter installed.

> Wrong.
>
> See e.g.http://www.portablepython.com/

In this case Python is still installed on the machine.

It may not be installled on the PC's hard disk but it is certainly
is installed on the USB stick.

In other words the act of inserting the USB actually results in
the software being 'Installed' (i.e. being made available) on
the PC.

Jussi