Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python IDE/text-editor

Python IDE/text-editor

Adam Tauno Williams

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 06:40 -0700, flebber wrote:
> On Apr 16, 3:43 pm, Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
> > interpreter AND tabs... a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
> > really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
> > interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
> > selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).
> > Please continue your recommendations.

I do most of my coding in Monodevelop, which has good support for Python
[not to mention being a full IDE platform with database browser support,
etc...]

<http://monodevelop.com/>

TP

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 2:32 AM, jacek2v <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 11:18*am, Daniel Kluev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Please continue your recommendations.

>> WingIDE has all that and much more, if you are willing to consider
>> non-free IDE.
>> Its multi-threading debugger definitely worth the cost of Pro version for me.

> I confirm

I normally use emacs for basic text editing, tried Komodo, Eric, and
IDLE but prefer WingIDE when writing Python code. In particular, the
debugger is really nice. (Of course I also like Visual Studio when
writing/debugging C/C++/C# so maybe I'm just weird).

A new non-free up-and-comer to consider is JetBrain's PyCharm.

And there is PyDev for Eclipse (but I personally tend to avoid Java
based programs).

Terry Reedy

On 4/16/2011 3:03 AM, Alec Taylor wrote:
> IDLE loses syntax highlighting annoyingly often

Could you exlain?
When does it do that with a file labelled .py?

--
Terry Jan Reedy

candide

Le 16/04/2011 15:50, Adam Tauno Williams a écrit :

> gedit provides a Python interpreter/console 'embedded' in the GUI
> (provided the plugin is enabled).

I agree, cf. this screenshot :

http://i52.tinypic.com/snj7a0.jpg

but i'm not sure gedit run easily under Windows.

Kate editor has the same feature.

John Bokma

candide <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Le 16/04/2011 15:50, Adam Tauno Williams a écrit :
>
>> gedit provides a Python interpreter/console 'embedded' in the GUI
>> (provided the plugin is enabled).
>>

> I agree, cf. this screenshot :
>
> http://i52.tinypic.com/snj7a0.jpg

The name "Terminal" suggests something different, and that can be
achieved in Emacs as well. Just split a window vertical & horizontal,
enable tabbar-mode[1], and open a shell in the bottom one, overview of the
buffers to the left, and your hello_world.py to the top right.

[1] which is part of the Emacs version I am using, I just learned.

--
John Bokma j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/ Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/

Westley Martnez

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 17:14 -0500, John Bokma wrote:
> candide <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Le 16/04/2011 15:50, Adam Tauno Williams a écrit :
> >
> >> gedit provides a Python interpreter/console 'embedded' in the GUI
> >> (provided the plugin is enabled).
> >>

> > I agree, cf. this screenshot :
> >
> > http://i52.tinypic.com/snj7a0.jpg

> The name "Terminal" suggests something different, and that can be
> achieved in Emacs as well. Just split a window vertical & horizontal,
> enable tabbar-mode[1], and open a shell in the bottom one, overview of the
> buffers to the left, and your hello_world.py to the top right.
>
> [1] which is part of the Emacs version I am using, I just learned.
>
> --
> John Bokma j3b
>
> Blog: http://johnbokma.com/ Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
> Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/

Either way doesn't it require python be installed on the system?

Chris Angelico

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Westley Martnez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Either way doesn't it require python be installed on the system?

Most Python development is going to require that...

I'm rather puzzled by this question; I think I've misunderstood it.
You can't run Python programs without a Python interpreter installed.

Chris Angelico

Wolfgang Keller

> You can't run Python programs without a Python interpreter installed.

Wrong.

See e.g. http://www.portablepython.com/

BTW: Imho, the Python interpreter should be made
"portable" ("zero-install") _by default_. "Installing" it should be
purely optional.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

Chris Angelico

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Wolfgang Keller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> You can't run Python programs without a Python interpreter installed.

> Wrong.
>
> See e.g. http://www.portablepython.com/

Uhm... how does that disprove? Whatever language you distributed code
is in, you need something on the computer that can read it. Only pure
machine code needs no interpreter (and even that's arguable, but the
interpreter is in hardware instead of software). With code that's
distributed in source form (all interpreted / shell languages, plus
most open source C/C++ code today), you need to have a
language-specific interpreter or compiler before you can run it.

Chris Angelico

Westley Martnez

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 09:08 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Westley Mart*nez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > Either way doesn't it require python be installed on the system?

> Most Python development is going to require that...
>
> I'm rather puzzled by this question; I think I've misunderstood it.
> You can't run Python programs without a Python interpreter installed.
>
> Chris Angelico

Didn't the OP ask for a portable system, i.e. you can carry everything
around on a flash drive and pop it into any computer? Or is he just
asking that the editor be portable?