Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python IDE/text-editor

Python IDE/text-editor

Daniel Kluev

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
> interpreter AND tabs... a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
> really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
> interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
> selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).
>
> Please continue your recommendations.

WingIDE has all that and much more, if you are willing to consider
non-free IDE.
Its multi-threading debugger definitely worth the cost of Pro version for me.

--
With best regards,
Daniel Kluev

jacek2v

On Apr 16, 11:18*am, Daniel Kluev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Please continue your recommendations.

> WingIDE has all that and much more, if you are willing to consider
> non-free IDE.
> Its multi-threading debugger definitely worth the cost of Pro version forme.

I confirm

Jorgen Grahn

On Sat, 2011-04-16, Alec Taylor wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM, John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Either of Emacs <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/> or Vim
>>> <URL:http://www.vim.org/> are excellent general-purpose editors that
>>> have strong features for programmers of any popular language or text
>>> format.

>> I second Emacs or vim. I currently use Emacs the most, but I think it's
>> good to learn both.

> Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
> interpreter AND tabs...
> emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
> selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).

Does it *have* to be tabs? Why? Both Emacs and Vim can have multiple
files open, and have various powerful ways to navigate between them.

If you cannot stand non-tabbed interfaces, you probably can't stand
other non-Windows-like features of these two, like their menu systems.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Tim Chase

On 04/16/2011 02:17 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Emacs can run Python in a buffer, and has “tabbar-mode” to
> display a row of tabs
>
> Likely the same features are available in Vim, by I've never
> used Vim for lots of Python coding.

Vim since v7 has offered tabs, though I personally stick mostly
to split-panes ("windows" in vim parlance).

:help tab-page

The GUI version (gvim) offers mouse support; the console version
supports the mouse as well, but may be a bit more fiddly as
mouse/console interactions often are.

:help mouse-using

As for running a python shell within Vim, the idea of an embedded
pseudo-tty (so that means an embedded console, python shell, or
just running any other console program) has been pretty
resolutely rejected by the maintainers. I think there's an
unofficial patch[1] to add the support, but most folks just bring
up a second console/terminal and run things there. For me, it's
either using "screen" or just another xterm/rxvt window.

:help shell-window

That said, Vim does have Python scripting capabilities as well,
so you can control vim with Python code

:help python

and Vim can evaluate python if it was built as such (check the
output of ":version" for "+python"). Additionally, you can
always run your Vim script and pull the output into a buffer
somewhere:

:r !my_script.py
:r !python my_script.py

(form dependent on whether your script is marked executable)

To the OP, try both Vim & Emacs and see which fits your head
better. They're both great editors and will provide a lifetime
of returns on the time invested learning them. Vim fits me
better; Emacs seems to better fit several of the other folks on
the list who responded.

-tkc

[1]
http://www.wana.at/vimshell/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...e-a-vim-window

Vlastimil Brom

2011/4/16 Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
> interpreter AND tabs... a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
> really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
> interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
> selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).
>
> Please continue your recommendations.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alec Taylor

Hi,
I don't use these tools regularly, but judging from your virtual
"screenshot" and featureset, e.g.
UliPad
http://code.google.com/p/ulipad/

or SPE
http://pythonide.blogspot.com/

could fit the bill.
Of course, none of these can be compared with the already suggested
heavier tools in terms of featureset or maturity, but in case you
don't want to learn that programs just now, you can try these simpler
ones to see, if they offer, what you need.

regards,
vbr

John Bokma

Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
> interpreter

Emacs has. Well, it's not embedded as *in* Emacs, but I don't think
there are many editors that have that besides the ones written in Python.

> AND tabs...

Emacs has no tabs per se (although it wouldn't surprise me if there is
an extension that does this) but can show a list of buffers. Also, you
can switch very easily between buffers. I used to work a lot with
Textpad /because/ of the tabs, but don't miss them with Emacs. Another
feature I love is the ability to /split/ a window in 2 parts to have 2
views on the same buffer. And being able to open another window with
another view on the same buffer.

> a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
> really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
> interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
> selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).

You can select text just fine with a mouse in Emacs.

Anyway, checked for tabs.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TabBarMode

The remark at the bottom states:
Aquamacs tabbar work with standard emacs.Just check it out. - Emmett

What I love so much about Emacs is that each feature I've wanted so far
is either part of it, or can be installed. Sometimes I have to change
how I think about the feature a bit, but so far, so good.

--
John Bokma j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/ Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/

John Bokma

Jorgen Grahn <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> If you cannot stand non-tabbed interfaces, you probably can't stand
> other non-Windows-like features of these two, like their menu systems.

Emacs just has a menu system. Although I rarely use it . One of the
things one learns after some time with either vim or Emacs is that using
the mouse delays things.

--
John Bokma j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/ Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/

flebber

On Apr 16, 3:43*pm, Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
> interpreter AND tabs... a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
> really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
> interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
> selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).
>
> Please continue your recommendations.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alec Taylor
>

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM, John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> >> Either of Emacs <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/> or Vim
> >> <URL:http://www.vim.org/> are excellent general-purpose editors that
> >> have strong features for programmers of any popular language or text
> >> format.

> > I second Emacs or vim. I currently use Emacs the most, but I think it's
> > good to learn both.

> > --
> > John Bokma * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * j3b

> > Blog:http://johnbokma.com/* *Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j..bokma
> > * *Freelance Perl & Python Development:http://castleamber.com/
> > --

Editra via shelf has an imbedded interpreter, editra is also working
towards a new python tools plugin that will allow you to change
interpreter jython/python2.7/python3.2 etc.

flebber

On Apr 16, 11:07*pm, John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jorgen Grahn <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > If you cannot stand non-tabbed interfaces, you probably can't stand
> > other non-Windows-like features of these two, like their menu systems.

> Emacs just has a menu system. Although I rarely use it . One of the
> things one learns after some time with either vim or Emacs is that using
> the mouse delays things.
>
> --
> John Bokma * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * j3b
>
> Blog:http://johnbokma.com/* *Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
> * * Freelance Perl & Python Development:http://castleamber.com/

Also Dreampie is a greater interactive shell.

http://dreampie.sourceforge.net/

Features automatic completion of attributes and file names.
Automatically displays function arguments and documentation.
Keeps your recent results in the result history, for later user.
Can automatically fold long outputs, so you can concentrate on what's
important.
Lets you save the history of the session as an HTML file, for future
reference. You can then load the history file into DreamPie, and
quickly redo previous commands.
Automatically adds parentheses and optionally quotes when you press
space after functions and methods. For example, execfile fn
automatically turns into execfile("fn").
Supports interactive plotting with matplotlib. (You have to set
"interactive: True" in the matplotlibrc file for this to work.)
Supports Python 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, Jython 2.5, IronPython 2.6 and Python
3.1.
Works on Windows, Linux and Mac. (Mac support requires MacPorts.)
Extremely fast and responsive.
Free software licensed under GPL version 3.

Adam Tauno Williams

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 08:04 -0500, John Bokma wrote:
> Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
> > interpreter

> Emacs has. Well, it's not embedded as *in* Emacs, but I don't think
> there are many editors that have that besides the ones written in Python.

gedit provides a Python interpreter/console 'embedded' in the GUI
(provided the plugin is enabled).