Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Fritz 7170 Voip Priority

Re: Fritz 7170 Voip Priority

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anti-Spam
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>I am on the wrong end of the ADSL cable coming from the exchange, so
>my bandwidth is very limited (about 256K download). I am finding that
>if my PC is downloading a large file, I am getting stuttering on my
>Voip calls. Qustion, Is there anyway to force the Fritz Box to give
>Absolute priority to Voip Data?

You can in some routers set the priorities so that VoIP has that
allocated.

256 K eh?, poor you ,and all the other groups saying that TV and Radio
streaming are the future of Broadcasting;!....
--
Tony Sayer

cybuerke

On 14/04/11 10:13, tony sayer wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >, Anti-Spam
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>> I am on the wrong end of the ADSL cable coming from the exchange, so
>> my bandwidth is very limited (about 256K download). I am finding that
>> if my PC is downloading a large file, I am getting stuttering on my
>> Voip calls. Qustion, Is there anyway to force the Fritz Box to give
>> Absolute priority to Voip Data?

> You can in some routers set the priorities so that VoIP has that
> allocated.
>
> 256 K eh?, poor you ,and all the other groups saying that TV and Radio
> streaming are the future of Broadcasting;!....

You'll probably find that Internet Telephony is prioritised
automatically, but to check:

Contents > Advanced Settings > Internet > Prioritization > Rules > Real
-time Applications.

Network Device = automatic
Network Application = Internet Telephony

If this isn't showing, it's easy enough to set up a New Rule using the
drop down menus.

John

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony sayer
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anti-Spam
><(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>I am on the wrong end of the ADSL cable coming from the exchange, so
>>my bandwidth is very limited (about 256K download). I am finding that
>>if my PC is downloading a large file, I am getting stuttering on my
>>Voip calls. Qustion, Is there anyway to force the Fritz Box to give
>>Absolute priority to Voip Data?

>You can in some routers set the priorities so that VoIP has that
>allocated.
>
>256 K eh?, poor you ,and all the other groups saying that TV and Radio
>streaming are the future of Broadcasting;!....

I do better with the router-to- exchange-connection showing @ 1,376mbps
(browser window). I know it will be slow as I am 8 km from the exchange.

Up until recently I was getting 120kbps down stream connections, but
since Cable & Wireless started fiddling on the Demon network my download
connection has now reached 1.72kbps (less than half V92bis dial up
speed).

--
John Clark