Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win7 -x64 Spurious ATA Entries

Win7 -x64 Spurious ATA Entries

Jeff Gaines

I am trying, once again, to use Win 7.

In Device Mangler I have 4 entries for ATA Channel 0 and 4 for ATA Channel
1. The third entry for each has a yellow warning triangle with the message
'This Device Cannot Start'.

I have tried searching for drivers and deleting the devices but they
always come back. Googling seems to show that duplicate entries are common.

I don't like yellow warnings, any thoughts on why there are so many
entries and why Win7 can't recognise a standard IDE device?

--
Those are my principles Ė and if you donít like them, well, I have others.
(Groucho Marx)

Carlos

Jeff,
This is what I would do.
1.- Identify motherboard and go its manufacturer website.
2.- Read mobo specs and identify chipset (NVidia, AMD, etc.)
3.- Go to the chipset manufacturer and download drivers from there.
Carlos

On 12 abr, 09:55, "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying, once again, to use Win 7.
>
> In Device Mangler I have 4 entries for ATA Channel 0 and 4 for ATA Channel
> 1. The third entry for each has a yellow warning triangle with the message
> 'This Device Cannot Start'.
>
> I have tried searching for drivers and deleting the devices but they
> always come back. Googling seems to show that duplicate entries are common.
>
> I don't like yellow warnings, any thoughts on why there are so many
> entries and why Win7 can't recognise a standard IDE device?
>
> --
> Those are my principles Ė and if you donít like them, well, I have others.
> (Groucho Marx)

Charlie Russel-MVP

This is likely to be one of those "special" features that various mobo mfgs
list in their marketting stuff, but that no one actually uses. And without
the special drivers from the mfg, you'll never get rid of these things.

OTOH, it hurts absolutely nothing to leave them as is. As long as things are
working as they should be, what difference does it make? Just one less
driver that doesn't load.

--
Charlie.
http://blogs.msmvps.com/Russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Jeff,
This is what I would do.
1.- Identify motherboard and go its manufacturer website.
2.- Read mobo specs and identify chipset (NVidia, AMD, etc.)
3.- Go to the chipset manufacturer and download drivers from there.
Carlos

On 12 abr, 09:55, "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying, once again, to use Win 7.
>
> In Device Mangler I have 4 entries for ATA Channel 0 and 4 for ATA Channel
> 1. The third entry for each has a yellow warning triangle with the message
> 'This Device Cannot Start'.
>
> I have tried searching for drivers and deleting the devices but they
> always come back. Googling seems to show that duplicate entries are
> common.
>
> I don't like yellow warnings, any thoughts on why there are so many
> entries and why Win7 can't recognise a standard IDE device?
>
> --
> Those are my principles Ė and if you donít like them, well, I have others.
> (Groucho Marx)

Jeff Gaines

On 12/04/2011 in message
<(E-Mail Removed)> Carlos
wrote:

>Jeff,
>This is what I would do.
>1.- Identify motherboard and go its manufacturer website.
>2.- Read mobo specs and identify chipset (NVidia, AMD, etc.)
>3.- Go to the chipset manufacturer and download drivers from there.
>Carlos

Carlos

Many thanks, you triggered one of my brain cells into action

There's a Gigabyte SATA controller on this mobo as well as Intel SATA, I
have found the driver file and installed it and all is well! Pity Win 7
referred to it as ATA or the brain cell might have sprung into action
earlier.

Thanks again