Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Windows XP SP3 'Mup.sys' boot problem.

Re: Windows XP SP3 'Mup.sys' boot problem.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Crash McBash wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:59:55 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
> dot nz> wrote:
>
>> Crash McBash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Last week I arrived home to find one of my PCs (Server 1) powered on
>>> but unresponsive (to mouse and keyboard use). I had to turn it off
>>> using the power button pressed in for a few seconds.
>>>
>>> When I powered on again (in safe mode) it got to the point where it
>>> reported loading Mup.sys and stopped dead. Using Google I found
>>> references to hardware problems and it seemed the solution might be
>>> to remove and reseat RAM and cards etc. WRT to video all I use is
>>> the onboard stuff that came with the mobo and given the original
>>> problem it seems likely that the problem could not be fixed.
>>>
>>> However I went through the process over the weekend of reseating
>>> everything except the CPU. No luck. I also booted from an XP CD
>>> but got exactly the same problem so it seems the boot media is not
>>> an issue.
>>>
>>> Time to retire old Server1 then - an el-cheapo box of 2003 vintage
>>> so a crapout like this is not a surprise. Found and ordered a
>>> barebones replacement for < $500.
>>>
>>> Then I remembered nz.comp 8-( Anyone here had this problem? If I
>>> can fix it now I can find Server1 a new home.....
>>> --
>>> Crash McBash

>> I aasume that if there is more than one memory stick you have tried
>> removing/moving one at a time? Sorry if this is basic but I have
>> seen one failed stick (usually the first) do similar things.
>> Tony

> There were 2 sticks. Removed both and put them back. That got me a
> continuous alarm on power up. Pulled one out and no alarm - but the
> original problem (with mup.sys) still happens.

I once had a mup.sys problem that turned out to be a RAM issue. It took some
working out though, I only found out that it was RAM *after* I replaced the
graphics card. :-/

I suggest cleaning the RAM slots with an artists paint brush, then spraying
plenty of CO cleaner into them and letting it run out (if you have it, it
costs more than single malt these days) and cleaning the RAM module contacts
with a clean pencil eraser. Then multiple insertion / removal cycles of the
RAM modules sometimes helps if the first mention 'fix' doesn't do the job.

IME it's rarely the RAM itself, rather the contacts. Best of luck.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche