Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > java

Robert Carnegie

On Apr 12, 11:46*am, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/04/2011 01:49, Drew wrote:
>

> > Carlos: I hate messing with the registry but I went through it and did
> > not find all of these files. I followed your instructions to the letter
> > yet nothing has changed. The one file I found was under
> > hkey_local_machine\software\internet explorer\advancedOptions\Java_vm .
> > The message I got is "unable to delete all specified values". I looked
> > in all other locations you suggested and yet did not find any of these
> > files. I studied the page from java.com and nothing there helped either..
> > I am not sure why I get the message saying the software is installed
> > when it clearly is not and will not let me do anything with it. Kind of
> > a pain when it says it is installed (and it is not) and would you like
> > to reinstall (I choose that) and it says. "This only applies to software
> > currently installed"

> > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Drew,
> >> Read this article in full, there is a lot of good stuff there:
> >>http://www.java.com/en/download/help..._addremove.xml

> >> Some Java stuff to delete:
> >> a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
> >> b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
> >> c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
> >> d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
> >> e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> >> Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey

> >> Carlos

> There is some rather nasty malware that messes with Java, so this
> may be your problem. *Try a full scan with an up-to-date AV
> scanner and then install and do a full scan with MalwareBytes
> Anti Malware. *If you find anything, then you may have to run
> several other similar utilities (eg a rootkit remover.)

There's a bootable live "Kaspersky Rescue Disk" anti-malware which is
probably free for personal use, and current, although only supported
for customers - I haven't myself got as far as checking the licence
terms - but I'm also not sure whether it is over-hasty deleting stuff,
for instance. Maybe you don't want to let that chew over your system
volume before you have a backup of the volume.

It may be worth searching for any or every mention of "java" in the
Registry, although this isn't to say that all of those should be not
present when Oracle Java isn't installed and working, and should be
removed. It's just a proposal.

I suppose you can still install both 64 bit and 32 bit Java, as well
as different version numbers in different folders - and if you can
thus successfully install it, then maybe you will be allowed to remove
it, get cleaned up, and start over.

And can we rule out any odd account permissions limitation on the
filesystem or in the Registry?