Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > java

Drew

A little advice would help a lot. I do not know how it got screwed up but. I
noticed that the shortcut in control panel for Java does not work. I get
"application not found" when clicking on it. When I try to check Oracle's
website to see if I have it their widget or what ever you want to call it
says I do not have it either. Then when I download the program or JRE I get
a message saying it is already installed and would I like to reinstall it.
At this point I get the message or warning "this action is only valid for
products currently installed. I will be damned if I want to pay Oracle 50
bucks to help me with it so I am hoping someone here can help. Now I do not
know whether this is pertinent or not but the java shortcut in control panel
says it is java 32 bit. I of course am running Windows7 64bit SP1 and use
the 32bit IE9. I am not sure whether there is a registry key I need to
modify or what hence the request for help. Is there a way I can totally
remove it from my computer and start over with fresh install of java or is
there a way to fix it? I have not been able to do anything with it and I am
not sure how it got messed up in the first place. Thanks in advance for the
help.

Drew

Kue2

Go Here D/L both the 32bit & 64 bit & install

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

"Drew" wrote in message news:int1bn$cg2$(E-Mail Removed)...

[...]

Kue2.. Thanks for that but I get the same errors

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:inte7l$7gm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go Here D/L both the 32bit & 64 bit & install
>
> http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
>
> "Drew" wrote in message news:int1bn$cg2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> A little advice would help a lot. I do not know how it got screwed up but.
> noticed that the shortcut in control panel for Java does not work. I get
> "application not found" when clicking on it. When I try to check Oracle's
> website to see if I have it their widget or what ever you want to call it
> says I do not have it either. Then when I download the program or JRE I
> get
> a message saying it is already installed and would I like to reinstall it.
> At this point I get the message or warning "this action is only valid for
> products currently installed. I will be damned if I want to pay Oracle 50
> bucks to help me with it so I am hoping someone here can help. Now I do
> not
> know whether this is pertinent or not but the java shortcut in control
> panel
> says it is java 32 bit. I of course am running Windows7 64bit SP1 and use
> the 32bit IE9. I am not sure whether there is a registry key I need to
> modify or what hence the request for help. Is there a way I can totally
> remove it from my computer and start over with fresh install of java or is
> there a way to fix it? I have not been able to do anything with it and I
> am
> not sure how it got messed up in the first place. Thanks in advance for
> the
> help.
>
> Drew

Kue2

Try uninstalling all versions of Java you have currently installed in "add
remove programs".
Then re-install from the link I supplied.
After u uninstall & re-boot u might have to delete the java directory
manually in "Program filesX86"
Then re-boot & re-install Java .

"Drew" wrote in message news:intkn5$470$(E-Mail Removed)...

Kue2.. Thanks for that but I get the same errors

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:inte7l$7gm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go Here D/L both the 32bit & 64 bit & install
>
> http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
>
> "Drew" wrote in message news:int1bn$cg2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> A little advice would help a lot. I do not know how it got screwed up but.
> noticed that the shortcut in control panel for Java does not work. I get
> "application not found" when clicking on it. When I try to check Oracle's
> website to see if I have it their widget or what ever you want to call it
> says I do not have it either. Then when I download the program or JRE I
> get
> a message saying it is already installed and would I like to reinstall it.
> At this point I get the message or warning "this action is only valid for
> products currently installed. I will be damned if I want to pay Oracle 50
> bucks to help me with it so I am hoping someone here can help. Now I do
> not
> know whether this is pertinent or not but the java shortcut in control
> panel
> says it is java 32 bit. I of course am running Windows7 64bit SP1 and use
> the 32bit IE9. I am not sure whether there is a registry key I need to
> modify or what hence the request for help. Is there a way I can totally
> remove it from my computer and start over with fresh install of java or is
> there a way to fix it? I have not been able to do anything with it and I
> am
> not sure how it got messed up in the first place. Thanks in advance for
> the
> help.
>
> Drew

Drew

Believe it or not it does not show in add/remove programs but I will follow
the rest of your advice asap.

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:intrbu$rsg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try uninstalling all versions of Java you have currently installed in "add
> remove programs".
> Then re-install from the link I supplied.
> After u uninstall & re-boot u might have to delete the java directory
> manually in "Program filesX86"
> Then re-boot & re-install Java .
>
> "Drew" wrote in message news:intkn5$470$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Kue2.. Thanks for that but I get the same errors
>
> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:inte7l$7gm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Go Here D/L both the 32bit & 64 bit & install
>>
>> http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
>>
>> "Drew" wrote in message news:int1bn$cg2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> A little advice would help a lot. I do not know how it got screwed up
>> but. I
>> noticed that the shortcut in control panel for Java does not work. I get
>> "application not found" when clicking on it. When I try to check Oracle's
>> website to see if I have it their widget or what ever you want to call it
>> says I do not have it either. Then when I download the program or JRE I
>> get
>> a message saying it is already installed and would I like to reinstall
>> it.
>> At this point I get the message or warning "this action is only valid for
>> products currently installed. I will be damned if I want to pay Oracle 50
>> bucks to help me with it so I am hoping someone here can help. Now I do
>> not
>> know whether this is pertinent or not but the java shortcut in control
>> panel
>> says it is java 32 bit. I of course am running Windows7 64bit SP1 and use
>> the 32bit IE9. I am not sure whether there is a registry key I need to
>> modify or what hence the request for help. Is there a way I can totally
>> remove it from my computer and start over with fresh install of java or
>> is
>> there a way to fix it? I have not been able to do anything with it and I
>> am
>> not sure how it got messed up in the first place. Thanks in advance for
>> the
>> help.
>>
>> Drew

Carlos

Drew,
Read this article in full, there is a lot of good stuff there:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help..._addremove.xml

Some Java stuff to delete:
a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey

Carlos

On 11 abr, 00:31, "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Believe it or not it does not show in add/remove programs but I will follow
> the rest of your advice asap.
>
> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:intrbu$rsg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Try uninstalling all versions of Java you have currently installed in "add
> > remove programs".
> > Then re-install from the link I supplied.
> > After u uninstall & re-boot u might have to delete the java directory
> > manually in "Program filesX86"
> > Then re-boot & re-install Java .

> > "Drew" *wrote in messagenews:intkn5$470$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Kue2.. Thanks for that but I get the same errors

> > "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:inte7l$7gm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Go Here D/L both the 32bit & 64 bit & install

> >>http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

> >> "Drew" *wrote in messagenews:int1bn$cg2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> A little advice would help a lot. I do not know how it got screwed up
> >> but. I
> >> noticed that the shortcut in control panel for Java does not work. I get
> >> "application not found" when clicking on it. When I try to check Oracle's
> >> website to see if I have it their widget or what ever you want to callit
> >> says I do not have it either. Then when I download the program or JRE I
> >> get
> >> a message saying it is already installed and would I like to reinstall
> >> it.
> >> At this point I get the message or warning "this action is only valid for
> >> products currently installed. I will be damned if I want to pay Oracle50
> >> bucks to help me with it so I am hoping someone here can help. Now I do
> >> not
> >> know whether this is pertinent or not but the java shortcut in control
> >> panel
> >> says it is java 32 bit. I of course am running Windows7 64bit SP1 and use
> >> the 32bit IE9. I am not sure whether there is a registry key I need to
> >> modify or what hence the request for help. *Is there a way I can totally
> >> remove it from my computer and start over with fresh install of java or
> >> is
> >> there a way to fix it? I have not been able to do anything with it andI
> >> am
> >> not sure how it got messed up in the first place. Thanks in advance for
> >> the
> >> help.

> >> Drew- Ocultar texto de la cita -

> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

Drew

Carlos: I hate messing with the registry but I went through it and did not
find all of these files. I followed your instructions to the letter yet
nothing has changed. The one file I found was under
hkey_local_machine\software\internet explorer\advancedOptions\Java_vm . The
message I got is "unable to delete all specified values". I looked in all
other locations you suggested and yet did not find any of these files. I
studied the page from java.com and nothing there helped either. I am not
sure why I get the message saying the software is installed when it clearly
is not and will not let me do anything with it. Kind of a pain when it says
it is installed (and it is not) and would you like to reinstall (I choose
that) and it says. "This only applies to software currently installed"

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Drew,
> Read this article in full, there is a lot of good stuff there:
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help..._addremove.xml
>
> Some Java stuff to delete:
> a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
> b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
> c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
> d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
> e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey
>
> Carlos
>
> On 11 abr, 00:31, "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Believe it or not it does not show in add/remove programs but I will
>> follow
>> the rest of your advice asap.
>>
>> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:intrbu$rsg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> > Try uninstalling all versions of Java you have currently installed in
>> > "add
>> > remove programs".
>> > Then re-install from the link I supplied.
>> > After u uninstall & re-boot u might have to delete the java directory
>> > manually in "Program filesX86"
>> > Then re-boot & re-install Java .

>> > "Drew" wrote in messagenews:intkn5$470$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Kue2.. Thanks for that but I get the same errors

>> > "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:inte7l$7gm$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

Rob

On 12/04/2011 01:49, Drew wrote:
> Carlos: I hate messing with the registry but I went through it and did
> not find all of these files. I followed your instructions to the letter
> yet nothing has changed. The one file I found was under
> hkey_local_machine\software\internet explorer\advancedOptions\Java_vm .
> The message I got is "unable to delete all specified values". I looked
> in all other locations you suggested and yet did not find any of these
> files. I studied the page from java.com and nothing there helped either.
> I am not sure why I get the message saying the software is installed
> when it clearly is not and will not let me do anything with it. Kind of
> a pain when it says it is installed (and it is not) and would you like
> to reinstall (I choose that) and it says. "This only applies to software
> currently installed"

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Drew,
>> Read this article in full, there is a lot of good stuff there:
>> http://www.java.com/en/download/help..._addremove.xml
>>
>> Some Java stuff to delete:
>> a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
>> b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
>> c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
>> d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
>> e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
>> Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey
>>
>> Carlos
>>
>> On 11 abr, 00:31, "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Believe it or not it does not show in add/remove programs but I will
>>> follow
>>> the rest of your advice asap.
>>>
>>> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> news:intrbu$rsg$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> in > "add

>>> I >> get
>>> call >> it
>>> JRE >> I
>>> reinstall
>>> valid >> for
>>> Oracle >> 50
>>> I >> do
>>> control
>>> and >> use
>>> need to
>>> totally
>>> java >> or
>>> and >> I
>>> advance >> for

>>> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

There is some rather nasty malware that messes with Java, so this
may be your problem. Try a full scan with an up-to-date AV
scanner and then install and do a full scan with MalwareBytes
Anti Malware. If you find anything, then you may have to run
several other similar utilities (eg a rootkit remover.)
--
Rob

Carlos

Drew,
Any chance of doing a system restore?
Carlos

On 11 abr, 21:49, "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Carlos: I hate messing with the registry but I went through it and did not
> find all of these files. I followed your instructions to the letter yet
> nothing has changed. The one file I found was under
> hkey_local_machine\software\internet explorer\advancedOptions\Java_vm . The
> message I got is "unable to delete all specified values". I looked in all
> other locations you suggested and yet did not find any of these files. I
> studied the page from java.com and nothing there helped either. I am not
> sure why I get the message saying the software is installed when it clearly
> is not and will not let me do anything with it. Kind of a pain when it says
> it is installed (and it is not) and would you like to reinstall (I choose
> that) and it says. "This only applies to software currently installed"

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Drew,
> > Read this article in full, there is a lot of good stuff there:
> >http://www.java.com/en/download/help..._addremove.xml

> > Some Java stuff to delete:
> > a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
> > b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
> > c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
> > d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
> > e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> > Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey

> > Carlos

> > On 11 abr, 00:31, "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Believe it or not it does not show in add/remove programs but I will
> >> follow
> >> the rest of your advice asap.

> >> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:intrbu$rsg$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> - Mostrar texto de la cita -- Ocultar texto de la cita -

> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

Drew

Carlos, I shall contemplate the system restore but this has been a minor
irritant for about a year or more. The weird thing is I never notice a
problem viewing web pages and it is only when I am going through my system
getting rid of old stuff I either do not use or have moved onto a external
thumbdrive for safe keeping and they are no longer connected. I have always
kept as little as possible on my rig in case of emergency

news:(E-Mail Removed)...