Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > FRICKIN' Windows MP 11.0.6 is CHANGING MY MP3 PROPERTIES

FRICKIN' Windows MP 11.0.6 is CHANGING MY MP3 PROPERTIES

ChrisCoaster

The title of my Subject says it all. I've turned off ALL automatic
Library management options and still every few weeks I'm seeing
changes in the filenames and titles and artists of my mp3s. When I go
to search for a specific song Windows says "not found" because the
title was changed! I'm running Vista 32bit.

How the F#$K do I prevent this from happening?!

-ChrisCoaster

Paul

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> The title of my Subject says it all. I've turned off ALL automatic
> Library management options and still every few weeks I'm seeing
> changes in the filenames and titles and artists of my mp3s. When I go
> to search for a specific song Windows says "not found" because the
> title was changed! I'm running Vista 32bit.
>
> How the F#$K do I prevent this from happening?!
>
> -ChrisCoaster

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...aticUpdate.htm

"If you want to avoid any change to the files you can use the Explorer and set them to read only."

And even that, sounds highly unlikely to help, because it's
software after all, and it can do what it damn well pleases.
Once software is in a trusted zone, it's in control.

If I was a software writer, and I found a file "read-only", I'd
change it to read/write, mess with it, change it to read-only,
force the modification date back to the original, cover my tracks...
That's how *good* software works It would be a proof, by the
software writer, of how clever they were.

It's always possible there is other software on your computer,
that can do that. If you've collected other music players. Perhaps
the style or nature of the changes can hint at what is doing it ?
Like, if the information only came from one particular Internet database.

Paul

ChrisCoaster

On Apr 10, 4:22*am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...thewelltempere...
>
> * * "If you want to avoid any change to the files you can use the Explorer and set them to read only."
>
> And even that, sounds highly unlikely to help, because it's
> software after all, and it can do what it damn well pleases.
> Once software is in a trusted zone, it's in control.
>
> If I was a software writer, and I found a file "read-only", I'd
> change it to read/write, mess with it, change it to read-only,
> force the modification date back to the original, cover my tracks...
> That's how *good* software works It would be a proof, by the
> software writer, of how clever they were.
>
> It's always possible there is other software on your computer,
> that can do that. If you've collected other music players. Perhaps
> the style or nature of the changes can hint at what is doing it ?
> Like, if the information only came from one particular Internet database.
>
> * * Paul

_________________________

1. In windows, you can view the Filename of a song(the downloaded
file), the Title, the Artist, Album Artist, Track# Year, and Genre,
etc of the song. You can even view composers and BPM.

2. I change both the File name and Title of every mp3 download or mp3
I create to be the same - Decade followed by title. I.E. "1980s - I
Can't Wait" - by Nu Shooz. I file all my music by decade because I'm
fascinated by time and it's easy for me to remember when a song came
out by the decade it was released. This also helps with cover
versions: 1970s - Killing Me Softly VS 1990s - Killing Me Softly(The
Fugees) .

3. A week or two later, I'm going through my master folder and the
song by Nu Shooz the Filename is still "1980s - I Can't Wait", but the
Title is "I cant wait_nu_shooz" or whatever the creater named
it(essentially the Filename). Or, I find that under the Artist and
Album Artist categories one of them has reverted to the wrong spelling
"New Shoes" or for that matter "various artists".

It's ****ING ME OFF because I maintain playlists in both WMP and I-
Tunes and maintaining the two is becoming a F^CKING FULL TIME JOB!!!
I almost wish we were still using CDs and cassettes for Gods sake!
And like I said I turned off as many "automatic" features of both WMP
and I-Tunes, so I dont' know why these changes are happening.

-CC

James D Andrews

ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
> On Apr 10, 4:22*am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...thewelltempere...
>>
>> * * "If you want to avoid any change to the files you can use the Explorer
>> and set them to read only."
>>
>> And even that, sounds highly unlikely to help, because it's
>> software after all, and it can do what it damn well pleases.
>> Once software is in a trusted zone, it's in control.
>>
>> If I was a software writer, and I found a file "read-only", I'd
>> change it to read/write, mess with it, change it to read-only,
>> force the modification date back to the original, cover my tracks...
>> That's how *good* software works It would be a proof, by the
>> software writer, of how clever they were.
>>
>> It's always possible there is other software on your computer,
>> that can do that. If you've collected other music players. Perhaps
>> the style or nature of the changes can hint at what is doing it ?
>> Like, if the information only came from one particular Internet database.
>>
>> * * Paul

> _________________________
>
> 1. In windows, you can view the Filename of a song(the downloaded
> file), the Title, the Artist, Album Artist, Track# Year, and Genre,
> etc of the song. You can even view composers and BPM.
>
> 2. I change both the File name and Title of every mp3 download or mp3
> I create to be the same - Decade followed by title. I.E. "1980s - I
> Can't Wait" - by Nu Shooz. I file all my music by decade because I'm
> fascinated by time and it's easy for me to remember when a song came
> out by the decade it was released. This also helps with cover
> versions: 1970s - Killing Me Softly VS 1990s - Killing Me Softly(The
> Fugees) .
>
> 3. A week or two later, I'm going through my master folder and the
> song by Nu Shooz the Filename is still "1980s - I Can't Wait", but the
> Title is "I cant wait_nu_shooz" or whatever the creater named
> it(essentially the Filename). Or, I find that under the Artist and
> Album Artist categories one of them has reverted to the wrong spelling
> "New Shoes" or for that matter "various artists".
>
> It's ****ING ME OFF because I maintain playlists in both WMP and I-
> Tunes and maintaining the two is becoming a F^CKING FULL TIME JOB!!!
> I almost wish we were still using CDs and cassettes for Gods sake!
> And like I said I turned off as many "automatic" features of both WMP
> and I-Tunes, so I dont' know why these changes are happening.
>
> -CC

Fair to assume you unchecked any "let check Internet for info..." type
entry?

If that software is doing things you don't want, you might consider
looking for a replacement. There is no shortage of media software out
there, most of it free.

I use VLC Player (VideoLan)

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
troublesome."
- Isaac Asimov

ChrisCoaster

On Apr 10, 3:26*pm, James D Andrews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > It's ****ING ME OFF because I maintain playlists in both WMP and I-
> > Tunes and maintaining the two is becoming a F^CKING FULL TIME JOB!!!
> > I almost wish we were still using CDs and cassettes for Gods sake!
> > And like I said I turned off as many "automatic" features of both WMP
> > and I-Tunes, so I dont' know why these changes are happening.

> > -CC

> Fair to assume you unchecked any "let check Internet for info..." type
> entry?
>
> If that software is doing things you don't want, you might consider
> looking for a replacement. *There is no shortage of media software out
> there, most of it free.
>
> I use VLC Player (VideoLan)
>
> --
> -There are some who call me...
> Jim
>
> "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's

___________________
Didn't see that option (check internet for info)

-CC

Kele

It's in the Preferences > Privacy Tab

You should look at all the tabs and uncheck everything having to to with
babysitting your files and folders. I havn't opened Windows Media player in
a while, nor is it associated with anything. I'm with Jim, VLC is quicker
opening, plays nearly everything, and doesn't mess with files. For audio
playback sound quality, Jet Audio is my favorite.

---------
___________________

On Apr 11, 3:33*am, "Kele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It's in the Preferences > Privacy Tab
>
> You should look at all the tabs and uncheck everything having to to with
> babysitting your files and folders. *I havn't opened Windows Media player in
> a while, nor is it associated with anything. *I'm with Jim, VLC is quicker
> opening, plays nearly everything, and doesn't mess with files. *For audio
> playback sound quality, Jet Audio is my favorite.
>
> ---------"ChrisCoaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Didn't see that option (check internet for info)
>
> -CC

Thanks! Unchecked.

-CC