Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Threads and statics

Threads and statics

Eric Sosman

On 4/9/2011 12:08 PM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> Eric Sosman<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> manipulates). Make sure the data is always seen in a consistent
>> state, except perhaps by the *one* thread that's in the act of
>> changing it; then you'll have a correct program.

> It still could have potential deadlocks. [...]

I also wrote, in the part you snipped

>> (It might not be
>> the fastest possible program -- that's where the hard parts come
>> in -- but at least it won't have race conditions.)

Deadlock is merely a performance problem. A really, Really,
REALLY bad performance problem.

--
Eric Sosman

Mike Schilling

"Eric Sosman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:inqa79$3j7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 4/9/2011 12:08 PM, Stefan Ram wrote:
>> Eric Sosman<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> manipulates). Make sure the data is always seen in a consistent
>>> state, except perhaps by the *one* thread that's in the act of
>>> changing it; then you'll have a correct program.

>> It still could have potential deadlocks. [...]

> I also wrote, in the part you snipped
>
> >> (It might not be
> >> the fastest possible program -- that's where the hard parts come
> >> in -- but at least it won't have race conditions.)

> Deadlock is merely a performance problem. A really, Really,
> REALLY bad performance problem.

There's a reason it's not call slightlyilllock.

Tom Anderson

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011, Mike Schilling wrote:

> "Eric Sosman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:inqa79$3j7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> It still could have potential deadlocks. [...]

>> I also wrote, in the part you snipped

>> Deadlock is merely a performance problem. A really, Really,
>> REALLY bad performance problem.

> There's a reason it's not call slightlyilllock.

It's only a fleshwoundlock!

tom

--
Science of a sufficiently advanced form is indistinguishable from magic

Lew

Tom Anderson wrote:
> Mike Schilling wrote:
>> Eric Sosman wrote:
>>> Deadlock is merely a performance problem. A really, Really,
>>> REALLY bad performance problem.

>> There's a reason it's not call slightlyilllock.

> It's only a fleshwoundlock!

Caught between a rock and a hard place - it's a flintlock.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

lifetime of global statics vs. statics in functions Stuart MacMartin C++ 5 07-27-2005 04:19 PM
Intialisation order and statics Spacen Jasset C++ 6 01-31-2005 09:08 PM
Statics and connections Jason ASP .Net 2 12-06-2004 03:27 PM
PIX 515 with statics and ACLs blocks dmz to outside access SuperIce Cisco 2 10-01-2004 05:11 PM
pix, vpn and statics P Cisco 1 08-06-2004 08:54 AM

Advertisments