Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > UML Tool

UML Tool

Philipp Kraus

Hello,

does anyone know a tool / framework to create UML models (Version 2.0)?
I have tested ArgoUML (http://argouml.tigris.org/) but I have some
problems to import my template classes. I would like to create modells
with the OMG defined strukture (model 2 model transformation). A
opensource tool would be nice

Thanks

Phil

Victor Bazarov

On 4/5/2011 9:27 AM, Philipp Kraus wrote:
> does anyone know a tool / framework to create UML models (Version 2.0)?
> I have tested ArgoUML (http://argouml.tigris.org/) but I have some
> problems to import my template classes. I would like to create modells
> with the OMG defined strukture (model 2 model transformation). A
> opensource tool would be nice

Since UML is not language specific, I suspect you might find more
information in a non-language specific newsgroup like 'comp.object'.

Philipp Kraus

On 2011-04-05 15:38:22 +0200, Victor Bazarov said:

> On 4/5/2011 9:27 AM, Philipp Kraus wrote:
>> does anyone know a tool / framework to create UML models (Version 2.0)?
>> I have tested ArgoUML (http://argouml.tigris.org/) but I have some
>> problems to import my template classes. I would like to create modells
>> with the OMG defined strukture (model 2 model transformation). A
>> opensource tool would be nice

> Since UML is not language specific, I suspect you might find more
> information in a non-language specific newsgroup like 'comp.object'.

Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
engeneering.

Thx

Phil

Andrea Crotti

Philipp Kraus <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
> plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
> process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
> some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
> engeneering.
>
> Thx
>
> Phil

I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

Noah Roberts

On 4/5/2011 9:44 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> Philipp Kraus<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>> Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
>> plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
>> process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
>> some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
>> engeneering.
>>
>> Thx
>>
>> Phil

> I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
> complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

I think the OP wants to create UML from C++ code.

I for one don't know of a single UML tool that can effectively do this.
For one thing, coming up with ways to model C++ constructs in UML has
been a constant confusion for me. How do you model a free function, for
example? Concepts? Template meta-functions?

I've come up with funky ways of doing this, usually reinventing it each
time, but I don't see how a program could without a clear idea of how
such things should be modeled...and I've never heard of one.

--
http://crazycpp.wordpress.com

Philipp Kraus

On 2011-04-05 18:57:51 +0200, Noah Roberts said:

> On 4/5/2011 9:44 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
>> Philipp Kraus<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>

>>> Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
>>> plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
>>> process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
>>> some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
>>> engeneering.
>>>
>>> Thx
>>>
>>> Phil

>> I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
>> complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

> I think the OP wants to create UML from C++ code.

I would like to create both directions, but at this time C++ to UML would help.

> I for one don't know of a single UML tool that can effectively do this.
> For one thing, coming up with ways to model C++ constructs in UML has
> been a constant confusion for me. How do you model a free function,
> for example? Concepts? Template meta-functions?

Exactly, that are some problems. I don't found any good tools.

Phil

softwareEngineer

Enterprise Architect (sparx systems) it's good and cheap

http://www.sparxsystems.com <http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/>

bye.

Onorato.

Il 05/04/2011 15:27, Philipp Kraus ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> does anyone know a tool / framework to create UML models (Version 2.0)? I have
> tested ArgoUML (http://argouml.tigris.org/) but I have some problems to import
> my template classes. I would like to create modells with the OMG defined
> strukture (model 2 model transformation). A opensource tool would be nice
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil

Öö Tiib

On Apr 5, 8:58*pm, Philipp Kraus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2011-04-05 18:57:51 +0200, Noah Roberts said:

> >> I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
> >> complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

> > I think the OP wants to create UML from C++ code.

> I would like to create both directions, but at this time C++ to UML wouldhelp.
>

> > I for one don't know of a single UML tool that can effectively do this.
> > * For one thing, coming up with ways to model C++ constructs in UML has
> > been a constant confusion for me. *How do you model a free function,
> > for example? *Concepts? *Template meta-functions?

> Exactly, that are some problems. I don't found any good tools.

There can't be so extremely good tools like you are seemingly
expecting. Some tools can indeed keep some simple UML class diagrams
and simple C++ class headers in sync more or less ... but that is it.

UML is semi-formal OOP software design language. C++ is semi-defined
multi-purpose and multi-paradigm programming language. Translating
round-trip will result with usual bablefish-google round-trip Japanese-
Zwahili translation nonsense.

Yannick Tremblay

On 2011-04-05, Andrea Crotti <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Philipp Kraus <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>> Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
>> plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
>> process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
>> some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
>> engeneering.
>>

> I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
> complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

Certainly for more advanced C++ and for detailled implementation, I
would avoid code generating C++ from UML. However, I can see some use
for top level design to draw UML class diagrams and code generate the
headers from this diagram.

I am not aware of a UML tool that will deal with templates nicely but
for a non-templated class diagram, this should work without
introducing crappy code problems.

Yannick

UML Modelling Tool Daniel Dyer Java 1 03-23-2005 09:06 AM
Free UML tool staff Java 4 01-11-2005 12:38 PM
[OT] "UML for Java Programmers" or "UML Distilled" Rogue Chameleon Java 0 10-18-2004 02:27 PM
[OT] UML question / UML newsgroup Stefan Siegl Java 0 09-06-2004 08:40 AM
Java Eclipse UML tool - white paper abstract Paul Wells Java 0 03-01-2004 12:30 PM

Advertisments