Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > MSOffice and ASP.NET

MSOffice and ASP.NET

S.Kartikeyan

Hello,

I have a ASP.NET Page which allows the user to upload a file.
What i have to do is
when the user uploads a PowerPointFile i have to convert in to html
and
save both ppt and html versions of it.

I have a working program of converting ppt to html on localmachine.
When I try to do it from the ASP.NET Page I get an error Access
Denied.

Regarding Access to the directory i am able to save the posted file
(ppt)to the
directory.only when i convert it to html and save i get the problem.

Here are the details.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is
denied.
granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request
identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically
{MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if
the application is not impersonating. If the application is
impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be
the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated
request user
In the source Error sections of ASP.NET error page i have the first
line of the
function where i am creating the PowerPoint.ApplicationClass() causing
the problem.

Is the problem due to desktop access to the powerpoint application.
How to fix the problem.
OR
Does the MSOffice components work only with the standalone
applications.

S.Kartikeyan

Paul Glavich

There are probably 2 aspects to it.

1. You are trying to interop within ASP.NET and the security policy may
prohibit this.
2. The loading and conversion using powerpoint will probably require access
to other directories, and possibly generate some temporary files somewhere.
You may need to grant additional access to some directories (and I am not
sure which ones) for the aspnet user (Win2000) or NETWORK SERVICE (Win2003)
to make it work. Check powerpoint for some temp directories that are setup
within the program or see where it might be creating temporary files under
your known working user.

--
- Paul Glavich

"S.Kartikeyan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I have a ASP.NET Page which allows the user to upload a file.
> What i have to do is
> when the user uploads a PowerPointFile i have to convert in to html
> and
> save both ppt and html versions of it.
>
> I have a working program of converting ppt to html on localmachine.
> When I try to do it from the ASP.NET Page I get an error Access
> Denied.
>
> Regarding Access to the directory i am able to save the posted file
> (ppt)to the
> directory.only when i convert it to html and save i get the problem.
>
> Here are the details.

> Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is
> denied.
> ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider
> granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request
> identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically
> {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if
> the application is not impersonating. If the application is
> impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be
> the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated
> request user

---
> In the source Error sections of ASP.NET error page i have the first
> line of the
> function where i am creating the PowerPoint.ApplicationClass() causing
> the problem.
>

> Is the problem due to desktop access to the powerpoint application.
> How to fix the problem.
> OR
> Does the MSOffice components work only with the standalone
> applications.
>

> S.Kartikeyan

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

Also, it should be noted that unattended server side use of Microsoft Office
in this manner is not a supported scenario.

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Assistance and Worldwide Services

"Paul Glavich" <(E-Mail Removed)-NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are probably 2 aspects to it.
>
> 1. You are trying to interop within ASP.NET and the security policy may
> prohibit this.
> 2. The loading and conversion using powerpoint will probably require

access
> to other directories, and possibly generate some temporary files

somewhere.
> You may need to grant additional access to some directories (and I am not
> sure which ones) for the aspnet user (Win2000) or NETWORK SERVICE

(Win2003)
> to make it work. Check powerpoint for some temp directories that are setup
> within the program or see where it might be creating temporary files under
> your known working user.
>

> --
> - Paul Glavich
>

> "S.Kartikeyan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a ASP.NET Page which allows the user to upload a file.
> > What i have to do is
> > when the user uploads a PowerPointFile i have to convert in to html
> > and
> > save both ppt and html versions of it.
> >
> > I have a working program of converting ppt to html on localmachine.
> > When I try to do it from the ASP.NET Page I get an error Access
> > Denied.
> >
> > Regarding Access to the directory i am able to save the posted file
> > (ppt)to the
> > directory.only when i convert it to html and save i get the problem.
> >
> > Here are the details.

> > the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more
> > information about the error and where it originated in the code.
> >
> > Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is
> > denied.
> > ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider
> > granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request
> > identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically
> > {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if
> > the application is not impersonating. If the application is
> > impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be
> > the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated
> > request user

> ---
> > In the source Error sections of ASP.NET error page i have the first
> > line of the
> > function where i am creating the PowerPoint.ApplicationClass() causing
> > the problem.
> >

> > Is the problem due to desktop access to the powerpoint application.
> > How to fix the problem.
> > OR
> > Does the MSOffice components work only with the standalone
> > applications.
> >

> > S.Kartikeyan

S.Kartikeyan

How to change the Interop security policy so that it can be done.
I don't think it uses temporary files.

--
- Paul Glavich

You mean it is impossible to do it.????????
Or
just the official documentation does not list the scenario,but the scenario is
possible