Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: And today's winner of the Mr Spurious Generalization Prize is ..

Re: And today's winner of the Mr Spurious Generalization Prize is ..

gwowen

On Apr 7, 12:12*pm, Christian Hackl
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I fear I still don't get, because I cannot think of any French
> subjunctive which consists of more words than the related indicative form..

And, of course, usage of many non-present tenses in French requires
use of fewer words than English rather than more, as the verb
conjugations are formed through modified endings, rather than the
periphrastic insertion of extra words:

"I was eating" vs "Je mangeais" in the imperfect

Michael Doubez

On 7 avr, 14:34, gwowen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 12:12*pm, Christian Hackl
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I fear I still don't get, because I cannot think of any French
> > subjunctive which consists of more words than the related indicative form.

> And, of course, usage of many non-present tenses in French requires
> use of fewer words than English rather than more, as the verb
> conjugations are formed through modified endings, rather than the
> periphrastic insertion of extra words:
>
> "I was eating" vs "Je mangeais" in the imperfect

This is narration phrasing. I am not sure this is so common.
Spoken french will rather use a construct similar to the english:
"J'étais en train de manger"

--
Michael

gwowen

On Apr 7, 2:26*pm, Michael Doubez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > "I was eating" vs "Je mangeais" in the imperfect

> This is narration phrasing. I am not sure this is so common.

Well, it was what was taught in English schools 20-something years
ago...

> Spoken french will rather use a construct similar to the english:
> "J'étais en train de manger"

Then I stand corrected.

Michael Doubez

On 7 avr, 15:48, gwowen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2:26*pm, Michael Doubez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > > "I was eating" vs "Je mangeais" in the imperfect

> > This is narration phrasing. I am not sure this is so common.

> Well, it was what was taught in English schools 20-something years
> ago...
>
> > Spoken french will rather use a construct similar to the english:
> > "J'étais en train de manger"

> Then I stand corrected.

Note that you are correct from a grammatical point of view and most
people with a given level of education will use the imperfect (and
even the 'passé simple' but that tends to be rare).

--
Michael

jacob navia

Le 07/04/11 14:34, gwowen a écrit :
> On Apr 7, 12:12 pm, Christian Hackl
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I fear I still don't get, because I cannot think of any French
>> subjunctive which consists of more words than the related indicative form.

> And, of course, usage of many non-present tenses in French requires
> use of fewer words than English rather than more, as the verb
> conjugations are formed through modified endings, rather than the
> periphrastic insertion of extra words:
>
> "I was eating" vs "Je mangeais" in the imperfect

In english you need to learn less words.

Instead of learning the different words that correspond to I, you
he/she, etc, you just use

"I was" + eating, running dancing, etc. In French/spanish or
German

That is much simpler to learn.

gwowen

On Apr 7, 4:55*pm, jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "I was eating" vs "Je mangeais" in the imperfect

> In english you need to learn less words.
>
> Instead of learning the different words that correspond to I, you
> he/she, etc, you just use
>
> "I was" + eating, running dancing, etc. In French/spanish or
> German
>
> That is much simpler to learn.

Oh, I agree. I was just talking about the whitespace issue. (Of
course, as English is such a mongrel language, we often have multiple
words to learn that mean the same thing, depending on whether the
local dialect was more strongly influenced by Latin, Norman French,
Norse, Gaelic... etc, etc, etc).