Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is Anybody Stupid Enough To Sniff User-Agent Strings?

Is Anybody Stupid Enough To Sniff User-Agent Strings?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> I can understand the need to test for advanced features that one browser
> may have that another doesn't, but find it difficult to see any elegance
> in sniffing for features where the term "feature" is a euphemism for
> "bug".

The test is for whether you can use feature A or not. Whether that’s because
the engine doesn’t implement it, or doesn’t implement it correctly, doesn’t
really make that much difference.

> I don't encourage the sniffing of user agents either. I suppose this is
> another good reason to use a framework that hides such detection from the
> developer.

How do you think the frameworks do it?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ralph Fox wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 18:58:10 +1200, in message
> <in95q2$i4p$(E-Mail Removed)> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Is anybody’s code really going to be broken by this? I thought it was
>> well understood that you should check as directly as possible for the
>> functionality you need, not try to deduce it from purely informational
>> fields.

> If that is what you actually believe, then how do you explain this ?

<"http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.seamonkey/msg/628762d830897d64">

How do you explain stupidity?

Enough is enough... Imhotep Computer Security 16 09-28-2005 03:36 PM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
Enough is enough.... ajacobs2 Digital Photography 33 10-05-2003 12:14 PM
Resolution - when is Enough ENOUGH? (a personal view) VT Digital Photography 43 09-12-2003 11:15 AM

Advertisments