Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > registered trademark symbol in C++ source code

registered trademark symbol in C++ source code

Brad Tilley

Using standard C++ source code that I compile using gcc on Linux/
Windows and Mac, the registered trademark symbol \x00AE works
everywhere except Mac OS X. The really odd thing is that all the other
symbols (copyright, etc.) work fine on all platforms. Has anyone every
ran into this and know of a fix for it?

\x00A9 (copyright symbol - works fine in C++ source code everywhere)
\x00AE (registered trademark - works fine in C++ source code
everywhere but Mac OS X)

On the Mac, \x00AE seems to output \x00C6 (that's what it looks like
at least).

Thanks for any tips.

Nobody

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 07:39:58 -0700, Brad Tilley wrote:

> Using standard C++ source code that I compile using gcc on Linux/
> Windows and Mac, the registered trademark symbol \x00AE works
> everywhere except Mac OS X. The really odd thing is that all the other
> symbols (copyright, etc.) work fine on all platforms. Has anyone every
> ran into this and know of a fix for it?
>
> \x00A9 (copyright symbol - works fine in C++ source code everywhere)
> \x00AE (registered trademark - works fine in C++ source code
> everywhere but Mac OS X)
>
> On the Mac, \x00AE seems to output \x00C6 (that's what it looks like
> at least).

Something is interpreting the data as being in the MacRoman encoding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacRoman

In ISO-8859-1 and Unicode, \xA9 is the copyright symbol, \xAE is the
registered trademark symbol, \xC6 is upper-case AE ligature.

In MacRoman, \xA9 is the copyright symbol, \xA8 is the registered
trademark symbol, \xAE is upper-case AE ligature.

It's impossible to say where the confusion lies because you don't provide
any information about how the data actually appears in the code or
what you're doing with it.