Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Hoping Tablets Will Die

Microsoft Hoping Tablets Will Die

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Microsoft seems to believe, or hope, that tablets won’t be around for long
<http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2038709/microsoft-predicts-demise-tablets>.

Which is amusing, considering they’ve been trying to push the concept for
about the last decade, with overpriced, underpowered “Origami” devices, only
to be blindsided by Apple, Samsung and others.

What do folks think?

Gordon

On 2011-03-31, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> Microsoft seems to believe, or hope, that tablets won?t be around for long
><http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2038709/microsoft-predicts-demise-tablets>.
>
> Which is amusing, considering they?ve been trying to push the concept for
> about the last decade, with overpriced, underpowered ?Origami? devices, only
> to be blindsided by Apple, Samsung and others.
>
> What do folks think?

Tablets will survive.They may take over the phone as well, or they will
remain a slab computer/connection device. Think of it this way
laptops/netbooks/notebooks have not gone anyplace, as in they are very much
still here with the sales people. The tablet may kill the netbook.

Battery power will rule

Boots

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 03:24:15 +0000, Gordon wrote:

> Tablets will survive.They may take over the phone as well, or they will
> remain a slab computer/connection device. Think of it this way
> laptops/netbooks/notebooks have not gone anyplace, as in they are very
> much still here with the sales people. The tablet may kill the netbook.

"Netbook" is a euphemism for smaller, reasonably priced, lower powered
laptops.

"Laptops" are merely portable battery-powered desktop computers with
built-in monitors that can be used without needing to sit at a table.

"Notebooks" are generally small books consisting of pages that are either
blank, or with various configurations of lines ruled on them. That is all

nof

On 2 Apr, 16:24, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2011-03-31, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
> > Microsoft seems to believe, or hope, that tablets won?t be around for long
> ><http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2038709/microsoft-predicts-d...>.

> > Which is amusing, considering they?ve been trying to push the concept for
> > about the last decade, with overpriced, underpowered ?Origami? devices, only
> > to be blindsided by Apple, Samsung and others.

> > What do folks think?

> Tablets will survive.They may take over the phone as well, or they will
> remain a slab computer/connection device. Think of it this way
> laptops/netbooks/notebooks have not gone anyplace, as in they are very much
> still here with the sales people. The tablet may kill the netbook.
>
> Battery power will rule

I love the iPad greatly. I bought it to act as a link when travelling
because laptops are heavy. I can't print or phone with the iPad but
that doesn't matter.

Boots

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 20:07:48 -0700, nof wrote:

> I bought it to act as a link when travelling because laptops are heavy.

Modern laptops?? Heavy???

Clearly you don't know the meaning of the word "heavy".

Python and Wacom Tablets (digitizing tablets) for sketch input Gabe Johnson Python 0 12-21-2005 08:34 PM
Ruby and Wacom Tablets (digitizing tablets) for sketch input Gabe Johnson Ruby 0 12-21-2005 08:30 PM
Die IDE Die Lloyd Sheen ASP .Net 2 01-26-2004 04:59 AM
More Die IDE Die Lloyd Sheen ASP .Net 5 01-25-2004 02:34 PM
I want to be a hacker/nerd b4 I die. Ghost issues (now and after I die) O.Phooey Computer Support 4 07-05-2003 08:35 PM

Advertisments