Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Standby on Broadband

Standby on Broadband

Geopelia

I've got Broadband now. I used to use Standby a lot, from "standby turn off
restart", but it seems different on Broadband.
It kept flashing "entering sleep mode" at intervals. It used to show that
only once, on dial up.
So I turned it off instead.

Can it be left on standby, or does it have to be turned off?
What do I click please?

Windows XP, Telecom Broadband.

It's certainly very fast on Broadband!

Thank you
Geopelia

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <imv0mj$v11$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:

> I've got Broadband now.

How does it connect to your PC? Via USB or Ethernet?

(USB is a rectangular connector you can just push in and pull out, Ethernet
is a plastic connector with a spring catch on it.)

Geopelia

news:imv3fn$np3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <imv0mj$v11$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> I've got Broadband now.

> How does it connect to your PC? Via USB or Ethernet?
>
> (USB is a rectangular connector you can just push in and pull out,
> Ethernet
> is a plastic connector with a spring catch on it.)

I don't know, Telecom's man connected it. There is a little box with green
lights on it sitting on top of the computer.
He also changed the jackpoint.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <imv52l$hp4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:imv3fn$np3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> In message <imv0mj$v11$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> I've got Broadband now.

>> How does it connect to your PC? Via USB or Ethernet?
>>
>> (USB is a rectangular connector you can just push in and pull out,
>> Ethernet is a plastic connector with a spring catch on it.)

> I don't know, Telecom's man connected it. There is a little box with green
> lights on it sitting on top of the computer.

Have a look at the wire running between it and the computer.

> He also changed the jackpoint.

Did he install any filters on your phone connections? That’s to keep the
broadband signal from interfering with voice calls.

PeeCee

On 30/03/2011 11:29 p.m., Geopelia wrote:
> I've got Broadband now. I used to use Standby a lot, from "standby turn off
> restart", but it seems different on Broadband.
> It kept flashing "entering sleep mode" at intervals. It used to show that
> only once, on dial up.
> So I turned it off instead.
>
> Can it be left on standby, or does it have to be turned off?
> What do I click please?
>
> Windows XP, Telecom Broadband.
>
> It's certainly very fast on Broadband!
>
> Thank you
> Geopelia

Geopelia

What do you mean by "Standby turn off" ?

"it seems different on Broadband"
What is "it" ?

"can it be left on Standby"
Do you mean the PC or the Broadband Modem?

Best
Paul.

Geopelia

"Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>In message <imv52l$hp4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:imv3fn$np3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I don't know, Telecom's man connected it. There is a little box with
>>> green
>>> lights on it sitting on top of the computer.

>>Have a look at the wire running between it and the computer.
>>
>>> He also changed the jackpoint.

>>Did he install any filters on your phone connections? Thatâ?Ts to keep the
>>broadband signal from interfering with voice calls.

> Lawrence
> I believe Geopelia has a St John's alarm. That means the installer should
> have
> installed a special socket for the DSL connection that goes back to the
> boundary box (probably using spare pairs in the existing cable), ensuring
> that
> the alarm takes precedence over any other use of the phone line (same as
> for
> burglar alarms). In that case filters are probably not necessary.
> Tony

I'm not sure what he did, but he came to see to St John's alarm, among other
things. He's added stuff to the jackpoint.
I received a parcel by courier which I left for him to open, containing
various parts.

The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?
The other wire, a black one, from the new box has a plug which goes into
what I think is called a surge protector. Several things are plugged into
that.

The box on top of the computer has five green lights that stay on all the
time. Would that have filters in it?
There is also a silver wire from the little box but I can't find the other
end of it.

Sorry, but I don't know the technical terms for the extra bits.

He would have known what he was doing, as everything is working very well. I
just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something besides
clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep mode" now,
which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?

Thank you
Geopelia

Gordon

On 2011-03-31, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not sure what he did, but he came to see to St John's alarm, among other
> things. He's added stuff to the jackpoint.
> I received a parcel by courier which I left for him to open, containing
> various parts.
>
> The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
> with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
> the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
> small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?

Certainly sounds like it. The plug is squareish in cross section.

> The other wire, a black one, from the new box has a plug which goes into
> what I think is called a surge protector. Several things are plugged into
> that.
>
> The box on top of the computer has five green lights that stay on all the
> time. Would that have filters in it?
> There is also a silver wire from the little box but I can't find the other
> end of it.
>
> Sorry, but I don't know the technical terms for the extra bits.
>
> He would have known what he was doing, as everything is working very well. I
> just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something besides
> clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep mode" now,
> which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?

The computer probably can not get to sleep because it keeps interacting with
the modem ( the new box with lights on it).

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <in10fo$ics$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:

> The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
> with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
> the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
> small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?

Sounds like it.

> The other wire, a black one, from the new box has a plug which goes into
> what I think is called a surge protector. Several things are plugged into
> that.

What are they?

> The box on top of the computer has five green lights that stay on all the
> time. Would that have filters in it?

No, the computer side doesn’t need the filters—the phone does.

> I just find Standby has changed and wondered if I should do something
> besides clicking Standby. It doesn't seem to get past "entering sleep
> mode" now, which keeps appearing. Perhaps it is supposed to do that?

I wonder if you have something in either your OS or BIOS settings saying
“wake on LAN”. You’ve never been on a LAN before, so you’ve never noticed.

Enkidu

On 31/03/11 11:51, Tony wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>> In message<imv52l$hp4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro"<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>>> message news:imv3fn$np3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I don't know, Telecom's man connected it. There is a little box
>>> with green lights on it sitting on top of the computer.

>> Have a look at the wire running between it and the computer.
>>
>>> He also changed the jackpoint.

>> Did he install any filters on your phone connections? That's to
>> keep the broadband signal from interfering with voice calls.

> Lawrence I believe Geopelia has a St John's alarm. That means the
> installer should have installed a special socket for the DSL
> connection that goes back to the boundary box (probably using spare
> pairs in the existing cable), ensuring that the alarm takes
> precedence over any other use of the phone line (same as for burglar
> alarms). In that case filters are probably not necessary.

Yep, that is the way it used to be back when broadband was young. We
have a 'splitter' at the boundary box and one socket is used for ADSL
and the others can be used for phones without using filters. It has its
positives and its negatives.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccolň di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Enkidu

On 31/03/11 17:38, Geopelia wrote:
> "Tony"<lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>>> Have a look at the wire running between it and the computer.

>>> Did he install any filters on your phone connections? Thatâ?Ts to keep the
>>> broadband signal from interfering with voice calls.

>> Lawrence
>> I believe Geopelia has a St John's alarm. That means the installer should
>> have
>> installed a special socket for the DSL connection that goes back to the
>> boundary box (probably using spare pairs in the existing cable), ensuring
>> that
>> the alarm takes precedence over any other use of the phone line (same as
>> for
>> burglar alarms). In that case filters are probably not necessary.
>> Tony

> I'm not sure what he did, but he came to see to St John's alarm, among other
> things. He's added stuff to the jackpoint.
> I received a parcel by courier which I left for him to open, containing
> various parts.
>
> The line from the new small box to the computer has a thicker white cable
> with a yellow end. It has a plastic bit connecting it to the computer like
> the plastic ends of things that go into the jackpoint. There is a sort of
> small plastic clip on it. Is that Ethernet?

It sounds very much like the Ethernet.