Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Standby on Broadband

Standby on Broadband

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <in6smd$dau$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:

> We have headphones for the TV, but they just have one pin to connect, so
> don't fit the computer.

Is that a 3.5mm socket, aka a “Walkman”-style connector? That’s pretty
common nowadays.

Geopelia

news:in8epi$56l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <in6smd$dau$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> We have headphones for the TV, but they just have one pin to connect, so
>> don't fit the computer.

> Is that a 3.5mm socket, aka a "Walkman"-style connector? That's pretty
> common nowadays.

It didn't fit the TV, but Dick Smiths had an adaptor. I haven't measured it.

Geopelia

"Robin Halligan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1vktf1lbcaodb.1fe2jq8lg7po2$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 09:52:47 +1200, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> "Robin Halligan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Any time Geo your a smart woman
>>> you know when to ask a question and you generally grasp the answer
>>> fairly
>>> quickly. Now i hope we can sort out your sound for you.

>> Thank you for those kind words, I feel very dumb where computers are
>> concerned.
>>
>> I don't worry about the sound, most of the time I have the Volume on
>> Mute.
>> But now I can get videos it would be nice to have better sound for opera
>> etc.
>>
>> My last monitor looked like a TV and had a speaker each side. It lost
>> its
>> colour and pictures ended up a greenish grey.
>> The sound was good.
>> This one is flat and the speaker must be somewhere in the frame.
>>
>> Geopelia

> Look down the bottom of the screen there should be some buttons to turn it
> on and for the settings on either side are there little :grills, lots of
> little holes"?

There is the 'on 'light and three oblong buttons each side of it below the
screen in front.
I haven't pushed any in case I do the wrong thing.
There is an oblong hole on the left of the case with two rows of pins in it.

It's a Philips.

Gordon

On 2011-04-03, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:in8epi$56l$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <in6smd$dau$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> We have headphones for the TV, but they just have one pin to connect, so
>>> don't fit the computer.

>> Is that a 3.5mm socket, aka a "Walkman"-style connector? That's pretty
>> common nowadays.

> It didn't fit the TV, but Dick Smiths had an adaptor. I haven't measured it.

Now there is a thought for the day, I know what a 3.5mm plug is, but I have
never, ever measured it.

Gordon

On 2011-04-02, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I don't worry about the sound, most of the time I have the Volume on Mute.
> But now I can get videos it would be nice to have better sound for opera
> etc.
>
> My last monitor looked like a TV and had a speaker each side. It lost its
> colour and pictures ended up a greenish grey.
> The sound was good.
> This one is flat and the speaker must be somewhere in the frame.

If you want to listen to opera, cf using it as your browser, then get some
seperate speakers. The sound will be better, and that is what wants for
music, be it rock or opera

Robin Halligan

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 14:30:09 +1200, Geopelia wrote:

> "Robin Halligan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1vktf1lbcaodb.1fe2jq8lg7po2$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>> Thank you for those kind words, I feel very dumb where computers are
>>> concerned.
>>>
>>> I don't worry about the sound, most of the time I have the Volume on
>>> Mute.
>>> But now I can get videos it would be nice to have better sound for opera
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> My last monitor looked like a TV and had a speaker each side. It lost
>>> its
>>> colour and pictures ended up a greenish grey.
>>> The sound was good.
>>> This one is flat and the speaker must be somewhere in the frame.
>>>
>>> Geopelia

>> Look down the bottom of the screen there should be some buttons to turn it
>> on and for the settings on either side are there little :grills, lots of
>> little holes"?
>>

> There is the 'on 'light and three oblong buttons each side of it below the
> screen in front.
> I haven't pushed any in case I do the wrong thing.
> There is an oblong hole on the left of the case with two rows of pins in it.
>
> It's a Philips.

Sounds good the Buttons will be for allowing you to change brightness
contrast and things like that usually 1 button will bring up a menu and
then 2 others will allow you to move through the menu to select what you
want to change then a button to select that one and the same 2 button to
make the change eg brighter or less brighter.

A quick flick through he Phillips website doesn't say a lot about speakers
so i'm not sure.

Geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2011-04-03, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:in8epi$56l$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Is that a 3.5mm socket, aka a "Walkman"-style connector? That's pretty
>>> common nowadays.

>> It didn't fit the TV, but Dick Smiths had an adaptor. I haven't measured
>> it.
>>

> Now there is a thought for the day, I know what a 3.5mm plug is, but I
> have
> never, ever measured it.

Millimetres are very small. It would be hard to know the exact size, unless
it's on the plug somewhere.
Of course you can just shove it in and see if it fits.

I've never had a Walkman, isn't that the earphones people delivering
leaflets walk around with?

Geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2011-04-02, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> I don't worry about the sound, most of the time I have the Volume on
>> Mute.
>> But now I can get videos it would be nice to have better sound for opera
>> etc.
>>
>> My last monitor looked like a TV and had a speaker each side. It lost
>> its
>> colour and pictures ended up a greenish grey.
>> The sound was good.
>> This one is flat and the speaker must be somewhere in the frame.

> If you want to listen to opera, cf using it as your browser, then get some
> seperate speakers. The sound will be better, and that is what wants for
> music, be it rock or opera

I'll see what the computer man has.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <in9ol6$gvg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:

> I've never had a Walkman, isn't that the earphones people delivering
> leaflets walk around with?

Almost certainly, yes. If you bought a pair of earphones for any portable
music player these days, it would come with a 3.5mm plug.

If you look at the end of the plug, you should see two black (or coloured)
bands between the metal parts. These are the insulators separating the
conductors; the three conductors give you the left channel, right channel
and a common return.

Geopelia

news:inar4t$gr4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <in9ol6$gvg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> I've never had a Walkman, isn't that the earphones people delivering
>> leaflets walk around with?

> Almost certainly, yes. If you bought a pair of earphones for any portable
> music player these days, it would come with a 3.5mm plug.
>
> If you look at the end of the plug, you should see two black (or coloured)
> bands between the metal parts. These are the insulators separating the
> conductors; the three conductors give you the left channel, right channel
> and a common return.

Thank you.

I've never seen much sense in walking around listening to what passes for
music these days through earphones.

But I rather like Coast as background music, easy to sing along to.