Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT: URL with a predictably long load time?

OT: URL with a predictably long load time?

Terry Pinnell

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>To get _predictably_ long load time, it's probably best to create a simple
>>>server-side script that generates a trivial HTML document,

>Here's a quick-n-dirty one: http://www.efalk.org/cgi-bin/foo.cgi

That's more like it, thanks Ed! I could have almost made a coffee while
that one loaded.

P.S: I think your 'foo' should be something like 'fum'. Next verse:
'I smell the blood of an Englishman.'

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry Pinnell

Allodoxaphobia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:15:36 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>
>> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,

>Not large -- just text and s l o w . . . .
>
> http://www.jonz.net/fortune/index.php
>
>HTH
>Jonesy

Nice one, thank you. Now, I wonder if it's finished loading...?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry Pinnell

"P E Schoen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more)
>> to load,

>I have a simple demo that calls a PHP script that generates an HTML page
>after a 5 second delay (which can be changed in the script, and could be
>made adjustable by means of a CGI variable). Here is the link.
>http://www.pauleschoen.com/bgf/BGFemailDemo.htm
>
>Just click on the button and it should take a little more than 5 seconds to
>load a dynamically generated page of emails.
>
>If you would like a longer time, or if you would like the script, please
>send me an email. I could also easily add a field in the form for the number
>of seconds to wait.
>
>Paul

Just about the ideal delay, thanks Paul.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Allodoxaphobia

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:58:33 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
> Allodoxaphobia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:15:36 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>>
>>> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,

>>Not large -- just text and s l o w . . . .
>>
>> http://www.jonz.net/fortune/index.php

> Nice one, thank you. Now, I wonder if it's finished loading...?

Eventually.
Thanks for the kind words.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

Captain Paralytic

On Mar 27, 12:15*pm, Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This is probably OT here but I'm unsure where best to enquire, so ...
>
> I'm testing a macro that I sometimes run when I open a page in Firefox.
> Its purpose is to determine whether the page has fully loaded before
> further macro commands are run to do other stuff. (If I try to run those
> *before* the page is loaded, unpredictable chaos can occur.)
>
> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,
> so that I can see what's going on at various points in my macro. Can
> anyone suggest one please? I probably have one amongst my thousands of
> bookmarks but so far haven't located it.
>
> --------------------
>
> For the curious, my simple macro for accomplishing this was working fine
> until yesterday, when I upgraded to Firefox version 4.0. The familiar red
> 'X' icon at the top left of its window changed when a page was loading,
> providing a way to test a single pixel's colour at a fixed place within
> the FF window. But this has been replaced by a sort of spinning wheel,
> which is proving trickier.
>
> --
> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Take a look at Fiddler. You can use this to intercept the http traffic
and hold on to it for as long as you like before releasing it back to
the browser.