Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Documenting tool

Documenting tool

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Is there a documenting tool somewhere that draws out the method calls in
diagrammatic form? That can show you a graphical representation of your
program?

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology

Arved Sandstrom

On 11-03-26 03:32 PM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
> Is there a documenting tool somewhere that draws out the method calls in
> diagrammatic form? That can show you a graphical representation of your
> program?

With all due respect, if you wanted static or dynamic diagrams of your
code, you should have had them before you ever wrote a line of code.

It's not too late to start: get a decent UML program and diagram (there
are several useful UML diagrams that show method calls) what your code
*should* do. Then compare that to what code inspection tells you about
your code's actual behaviour.

You could reverse engineer your existing stuff. I'd counsel against it,
mainly because it will be fundamentally useless material.

If I misunderstand you, and you are going about this the right way, and
looking to design first, then I apologize in advance. As far as UML
diagramming tools go, I'd myself recommend Visio (or an equivalent
drawing tool like Omnigraffle on Mac OS X), that is about the _drawing_.
I do *not* recommend design tools that can generate code or that
"understand" a specific programming language. Also, if you go with UML,
keep it simple and stick to the interesting application behaviours.

AHS
--
That's not the recollection that I recall...All this information is
certainly in the hands of the auditor and we certainly await his report

John B. Matthews

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a documenting tool somewhere that draws out the method calls
> in diagrammatic form? That can show you a graphical representation of
> your program?

For static analysis, I like Xcode's Quick Model capability:

<http://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/whats-new.html>

For a dynamic peek, I use NetBeans' debugger or jvisualvm:

<http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/share/jvisualvm.html>

But sometimes I just look at the Trees, e.g.:

<http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/swing/package-tree.html>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

Alex Mentis

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

> Is there a documenting tool somewhere that draws out the method calls
> in diagrammatic form? That can show you a graphical representation of
> your program?

I'm not sure if it provides the visualizations you're looking for, but
you might check out jGRASP (http://www.jgrasp.org/).

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

On 26/03/2011 18:57, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 11-03-26 03:32 PM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
>> Is there a documenting tool somewhere that draws out the method calls in
>> diagrammatic form? That can show you a graphical representation of your
>> program?
>>

> With all due respect, if you wanted static or dynamic diagrams of your
> code, you should have had them before you ever wrote a line of code.
>
> It's not too late to start: get a decent UML program and diagram (there
> are several useful UML diagrams that show method calls) what your code
> *should* do. Then compare that to what code inspection tells you about
> your code's actual behaviour.
>
> You could reverse engineer your existing stuff. I'd counsel against it,
> mainly because it will be fundamentally useless material.
>
> If I misunderstand you, and you are going about this the right way, and
> looking to design first, then I apologize in advance. As far as UML
> diagramming tools go, I'd myself recommend Visio (or an equivalent
> drawing tool like Omnigraffle on Mac OS X), that is about the _drawing_.
> I do *not* recommend design tools that can generate code or that
> "understand" a specific programming language. Also, if you go with UML,
> keep it simple and stick to the interesting application behaviours.

Currently looking at UML addon for Eclipse

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology

Documenting the Format of XML files Roedy Green Java 5 04-21-2006 03:16 PM
Documenting VisionSet Java 10 02-01-2006 09:10 PM
documenting projects Nikhil Patel ASP .Net 1 10-11-2004 05:03 PM
ANN: zOxygen Documenting Utility Jussi Jumppanen Java 0 04-21-2004 05:46 AM
Documenting ASP.NET Tim Almond ASP .Net 1 07-12-2003 03:21 PM

Advertisments