Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Odd size desktop power supply?.

Reply
Thread Tools

Odd size desktop power supply?.

 
 
tony sayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2011

We have a rather odd specialist desktop PC that got a knackered power
unit. This wouldn't normally be a problem but on this series of units
they had a slightly lower in height power unit.

Where most all of them are 140 mm high and 85 mm wide and around 150 mm
deep (front to back) this one is 120 mm high! (85 x 120 x 150).
A standard one will stick out of the top of the case which isn't
required;!. Anyone know what they are called and know of anywhere in the
UK you can obtain one from they have the normal fixings and IEC input
and output lads just need this reduced height!..

cheers..
--
Tony Sayer

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jkn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2011
Hi Tony

probably best to search (on eBay etc.) based on the make/model of the
PC, I'd have thought, eg. 'Fujitsu Scenic S2' (one desktop machine I
know with an unusual PSU).

J^n
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tabby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2011
On Mar 25, 8:09*pm, tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We have a rather odd specialist desktop PC that got a knackered power
> unit. This wouldn't normally be a problem but on this series of units
> they had a slightly lower in height power unit.
>
> Where most all of them are 140 mm high and 85 mm wide and around *150 mm
> deep (front to back) this one is 120 mm high! (85 x 120 x 150).
> A standard one will stick out of the top of the case which isn't
> required;!. Anyone know what they are called and know of anywhere in the
> UK you can obtain one from they have the normal fixings and IEC input
> and output lads just need this reduced height!..
>
> cheers..


One possible answer is: angle grinder. I've seen plenty of PC PSUs
where the innards don't occupy the full height of the box. Take care
to avoid any metal filings, eg by decasing the pcb and reinstalling
once cut. As many cases are made as 2 Us, it will very much affect the
case reassembly, but it can all be patched up with duct tape.


NT
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2011
tony sayer wrote:
> We have a rather odd specialist desktop PC that got a knackered power
> unit. This wouldn't normally be a problem but on this series of units
> they had a slightly lower in height power unit.
>
> Where most all of them are 140 mm high and 85 mm wide and around 150 mm
> deep (front to back) this one is 120 mm high! (85 x 120 x 150).
> A standard one will stick out of the top of the case which isn't
> required;!. Anyone know what they are called and know of anywhere in the
> UK you can obtain one from they have the normal fixings and IEC input
> and output lads just need this reduced height!..
>
> cheers..


Does the supply have a model number on the label ?

Usually, there is a ratings label on the supply, and
some kind of model number. An Internet search on the
model number, will sometimes dig up a vendor selling a
generic substitute for it.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2011
On 25/03/2011 20:45, Tabby wrote:

>
> One possible answer is: angle grinder. I've seen plenty of PC PSUs
> where the innards don't occupy the full height of the box. Take care
> to avoid any metal filings, eg by decasing the pcb and reinstalling
> once cut. As many cases are made as 2 Us, it will very much affect the
> case reassembly, but it can all be patched up with duct tape.
>
>
> NT


Along those lines, wouldn't it be easier to simply transplant the pcb?

Lee
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Eager
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2011
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 20:09:26 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

> We have a rather odd specialist desktop PC that got a knackered power
> unit. This wouldn't normally be a problem but on this series of units
> they had a slightly lower in height power unit.
>
> Where most all of them are 140 mm high and 85 mm wide and around 150 mm
> deep (front to back) this one is 120 mm high! (85 x 120 x 150). A
> standard one will stick out of the top of the case which isn't
> required;!. Anyone know what they are called and know of anywhere in the
> UK you can obtain one from they have the normal fixings and IEC input
> and output lads just need this reduced height!..


Probably one of the five variants of SFX/SFX12V PSUs; if not, one of
those will fit although you might need to drill one or two new fixing
holes at different centres.

How easy they are to come by...I haven't looked.

What wattage?



--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

*lightning protection* - a w_tom conductor
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tabby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2011
On Mar 25, 9:07*pm, Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 25/03/2011 20:45, Tabby wrote:
>
>
>
> > One possible answer is: angle grinder. I've seen plenty of PC PSUs
> > where the innards don't occupy the full height of the box. Take care
> > to avoid any metal filings, eg by decasing the pcb and reinstalling
> > once cut. As many cases are made as 2 Us, it will very much affect the
> > case reassembly, but it can all be patched up with duct tape.

>
> > NT

>
> Along those lines, wouldn't it be easier to simply transplant the pcb?
>
> Lee


Maybe, the only issue is the mounting points probably wont match. It
would ease fan mounting.


NT
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Lowe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2011
On 25/03/2011 20:09, tony sayer wrote:
>
> We have a rather odd specialist desktop PC that got a knackered power
> unit. This wouldn't normally be a problem but on this series of units
> they had a slightly lower in height power unit.
>
> Where most all of them are 140 mm high and 85 mm wide and around 150 mm
> deep (front to back) this one is 120 mm high! (85 x 120 x 150).
> A standard one will stick out of the top of the case which isn't
> required;!. Anyone know what they are called and know of anywhere in the
> UK you can obtain one from they have the normal fixings and IEC input
> and output lads just need this reduced height!..
>
> cheers..


Dell boxes can be like that.
You seem rather coy on naming the actual make/model!

Go on google / fleabay with the make/model, and you will usually find a
replacement.

--
Ron

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Strickland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2011
Why don't you try plugging the Model Number into your search engine's Search
Box?

I need a power supply for a Princeton monitor that I own. The model number
of the power supply is HASU05F. Plugging that into the Search Box of Yahoo!
gave me a host of hits, some on eBay. The supply I need can be bought for
$10.25, shipping included.




"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> We have a rather odd specialist desktop PC that got a knackered power
> unit. This wouldn't normally be a problem but on this series of units
> they had a slightly lower in height power unit.
>
> Where most all of them are 140 mm high and 85 mm wide and around 150 mm
> deep (front to back) this one is 120 mm high! (85 x 120 x 150).
> A standard one will stick out of the top of the case which isn't
> required;!. Anyone know what they are called and know of anywhere in the
> UK you can obtain one from they have the normal fixings and IEC input
> and output lads just need this reduced height!..
>
> cheers..
> --
> Tony Sayer
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
tony sayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2011
In article <imj4k9$n2v$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ron Lowe <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribeth thus
>On 25/03/2011 20:09, tony sayer wrote:
>>
>> We have a rather odd specialist desktop PC that got a knackered power
>> unit. This wouldn't normally be a problem but on this series of units
>> they had a slightly lower in height power unit.
>>
>> Where most all of them are 140 mm high and 85 mm wide and around 150 mm
>> deep (front to back) this one is 120 mm high! (85 x 120 x 150).
>> A standard one will stick out of the top of the case which isn't
>> required;!. Anyone know what they are called and know of anywhere in the
>> UK you can obtain one from they have the normal fixings and IEC input
>> and output lads just need this reduced height!..
>>
>> cheers..

>
>Dell boxes can be like that.
>You seem rather coy on naming the actual make/model!


Yes well, there simply isn't one this was made up out of component parts
a while ago now even the power unit hasn't got anything recognisable on
it!..

>
>Go on google / fleabay with the make/model, and you will usually find a
>replacement.
>


Bin there haven't found one!..
--
Tony Sayer

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preferred Size, Minimum Size, Size Jason Cavett Java 5 05-25-2008 08:32 AM
Re: Power supply version / odd voltage reading / monitor blacking out Peter Huebner NZ Computing 9 05-20-2008 12:49 PM
Odd behavior with odd code Michael Speer C Programming 33 02-18-2007 07:31 AM
mega pixels, file size, image size, and print size - Adobe Evangelists Frank ess Digital Photography 0 11-14-2006 05:08 PM
odd power shut off problem with new set up Diesel Computer Support 8 03-26-2006 07:02 PM



Advertisments