Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Determine size of the data passed from server to client

Determine size of the data passed from server to client

mykidisgollum

Greetings,

We've recently been working with our site pages' viewstate, turning
off unnecessesary viestate items to reduce page size for faster

What is the best way to determine the amount of data passed from
server to client in an ASP.NET page run? Right now the only way we
know is to view source, save source and view the file size properties.
I believe this may not give a true reflection of the data passed down
to the client though.

Surely there must be a more elegant way of determining how much data
is passed back to the client to help us determine if the changes we
are making is having an effect.

Thanks,

David Fields

bruce barker

if you use netscape or mozilla, it will give all the stats you need.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"mykidisgollum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Greetings,
>
> We've recently been working with our site pages' viewstate, turning
> off unnecessesary viestate items to reduce page size for faster
>
> What is the best way to determine the amount of data passed from
> server to client in an ASP.NET page run? Right now the only way we
> know is to view source, save source and view the file size properties.
> I believe this may not give a true reflection of the data passed down
> to the client though.
>
> Surely there must be a more elegant way of determining how much data
> is passed back to the client to help us determine if the changes we
> are making is having an effect.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Fields

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

www.fiddlertool.com offers a tool which we use for just this purpose on
Office Online. Additionally, it will show you all of the stats about the
images, CSS, JS, etc.

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence