Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Yahoo!Xtra Mail delivery problem

Yahoo!Xtra Mail delivery problem

EMB

On 23/03/2011 10:09 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:

> How do you mean truckloads of storage? How many terabytes?

For a single mail user the 50GB or so they offer is truckloads.

EMB

On 23/03/2011 10:15 p.m., Boots wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:12:33 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
>
>> Or, with your own domain, run your own server - a spare computer running
>> Linux something (the s/w's free).

> That won't work with Xtra. IIRC Telecom/Gen-I/Xtra blocks emails being
> sent anywhere other than to their own email servers.

Not if you ask nicely, or have a static IP

Dave Doe

In article <imcf9c$jdp$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), EMB
says...

> On 23/03/2011 10:15 p.m., Boots wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:12:33 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
> >
> >> Or, with your own domain, run your own server - a spare computer running
> >> Linux something (the s/w's free).

> > That won't work with Xtra. IIRC Telecom/Gen-I/Xtra blocks emails being
> > sent anywhere other than to their own email servers.

> Not if you ask nicely, or have a static IP

You don't even have to ask nicely if you have a dynamic IP - I've used
this form for several folk running their own server...

https://www.telecom.co.nz/form/1,6849,5664,00.html?
StreamID=&StreamName=&source_stream=

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...

> In article <imcf9c$jdp$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), EMB
> says...

> > > That won't work with Xtra. IIRC Telecom/Gen-I/Xtra blocks emails being
> > > sent anywhere other than to their own email servers.

> > Not if you ask nicely, or have a static IP

> You don't even have to ask nicely if you have a dynamic IP - I've used
> this form for several folk running their own server...
>
> https://www.telecom.co.nz/form/1,6849,5664,00.html?
> StreamID=&StreamName=&source_stream=

Or use another port of course.

--
Duncan.

Matty F

On Mar 23, 9:13 pm, Boots <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:18:10 -0700, Matty F wrote:
> > Yahoo!Xtra are refusing to send emails for no apparent reason. e.g. a
> > message to a single recipient every few weeks. I can't be bothered
> > dealing with their Customer Care. Can anyone recommend a better email
> > host?

> > This is the message I get:
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------- Your
> > message was not sent

> > Your account has been temporarily blocked from sending messages. This
> > block can be caused by sending messages that trigger our spam filters,
> > or by having too many recipients in one email. We encourage you to
> > review the contents and recipient list of your message, and try sending
> > it at after an hour or two. Doing so will usually resolve the matter.
> > If you are still unable to send messages after a 24-hour period, please
> > read our FAQ for more information and to request Customer Care
> > assistance.

> > We apologise for the inconvenience.

> > Thanks,

> > The Yahoo!Xtra Mail Team

> Do you have some sort of malware on your computer that is spewing out
> spam?

No, Yahoo just don't like the domain name of the person I was sending
to. That's none of their business.

Richard

On 23/03/2011 10:57 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...
>>
>> In article<imcf9c$jdp$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), EMB
>> says...

>>> Not if you ask nicely, or have a static IP

>> You don't even have to ask nicely if you have a dynamic IP - I've used
>> this form for several folk running their own server...
>>
>> https://www.telecom.co.nz/form/1,6849,5664,00.html?
>> StreamID=&StreamName=&source_stream=

> Or use another port of course.

except that everyone listens on port 25 so you cant really.

besides, if its a dynamic IP it will be in the PBL so anyone sane will
not accept connections from it regardless.

Dave Doe

In article <imcidd$llq$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Richard
says...

> On 23/03/2011 10:57 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> > In article<(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > (E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...
> >>
> >> In article<imcf9c$jdp$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), EMB
> >> says...

> >> You don't even have to ask nicely if you have a dynamic IP - I've used
> >> this form for several folk running their own server...
> >>
> >> https://www.telecom.co.nz/form/1,6849,5664,00.html?
> >> StreamID=&StreamName=&source_stream=

> > Or use another port of course.

> except that everyone listens on port 25 so you cant really.

Sorry, been away - in short no, this is *your* server (or even
Telecom's), you use the port you're told to. Other servers are
irrelevant to "you".

eg's - Xtra use SSL port 465. 587 is another port that is sometimes
used as a substitute for 25 (one I've used before when the client's ISP
has been blocking ("filtering") 25 - eg Xtra). It works just fine.

> besides, if its a dynamic IP it will be in the PBL so anyone sane will
> not accept connections from it regardless.

Irrelevant to this also.

--
Duncan.