Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Accessing a wifi printer

Accessing a wifi printer

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBMYW5l?=

In my house, our printer (an HP DeskJet 5740) is attached to a wifi base
station via a USB cable and accessed via a wifi connection. The printer is
used predominantly by my wife, who uses a Mac laptop and a Airport express
wifi base station.

She had no problem finding the printer or completing the connection. It
prints flawlessly. The printer has bee set up for "sharing". However, I
cannot figure out how to find or connect to it.

I use her wifi connection without a problem every day. So, there should b no
Mac/Windows interoperability issue. Any thoughts? I have tried the add
printer feature and used every path available with no luck.

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Try:

1. Determine the IP address of the printer - usually you can print a
configuration page and find it there.

2. Start the Add Printer wizard. Do not select Network Printer - select
Local Printer and clear any check boxes for auto detection.

3. Select Create new port - select Standard TCP/IP port and configure it
with the IP address of the HP.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"John Lane" <John http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my house, our printer (an HP DeskJet 5740) is attached to a wifi base
> station via a USB cable and accessed via a wifi connection. The printer

is
> used predominantly by my wife, who uses a Mac laptop and a Airport express
> wifi base station.
>
> She had no problem finding the printer or completing the connection. It
> prints flawlessly. The printer has bee set up for "sharing". However, I
> cannot figure out how to find or connect to it.
>
> I use her wifi connection without a problem every day. So, there should b

no
> Mac/Windows interoperability issue. Any thoughts? I have tried the add
> printer feature and used every path available with no luck.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obkxhbmU=?=

Perfect response. TY!!

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> Try:
>
> 1. Determine the IP address of the printer - usually you can print a
> configuration page and find it there.
>
> 2. Start the Add Printer wizard. Do not select Network Printer - select
> Local Printer and clear any check boxes for auto detection.
>
> 3. Select Create new port - select Standard TCP/IP port and configure it
> with the IP address of the HP.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "John Lane" <John (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In my house, our printer (an HP DeskJet 5740) is attached to a wifi base
> > station via a USB cable and accessed via a wifi connection. The printer

> is
> > used predominantly by my wife, who uses a Mac laptop and a Airport express
> > wifi base station.
> >
> > She had no problem finding the printer or completing the connection. It
> > prints flawlessly. The printer has bee set up for "sharing". However, I
> > cannot figure out how to find or connect to it.
> >
> > I use her wifi connection without a problem every day. So, there should b

> no
> > Mac/Windows interoperability issue. Any thoughts? I have tried the add
> > printer feature and used every path available with no luck.

=?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFdpbmt3b3J0aA==?=

Thanks, Doug. Worked like a charm for me, too. In my case, with a printer
attached by USB to an AIrport Express base station, it was the IP number of
the base station that worked. If only the Windows help facilities told one
this, I could have saved hours of poking about fruitlessly.

Ian Winkworth

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> Try:
>
> 1. Determine the IP address of the printer - usually you can print a
> configuration page and find it there.
>
> 2. Start the Add Printer wizard. Do not select Network Printer - select
> Local Printer and clear any check boxes for auto detection.
>
> 3. Select Create new port - select Standard TCP/IP port and configure it
> with the IP address of the HP.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "John Lane" <John (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In my house, our printer (an HP DeskJet 5740) is attached to a wifi base
> > station via a USB cable and accessed via a wifi connection. The printer

> is
> > used predominantly by my wife, who uses a Mac laptop and a Airport express
> > wifi base station.
> >
> > She had no problem finding the printer or completing the connection. It
> > prints flawlessly. The printer has bee set up for "sharing". However, I
> > cannot figure out how to find or connect to it.
> >
> > I use her wifi connection without a problem every day. So, there should b

> no
> > Mac/Windows interoperability issue. Any thoughts? I have tried the add
> > printer feature and used every path available with no luck.

=?Utf-8?B?S0tNX0hvdXN0b24=?=

Hi,

I have the same problem. I got through the create new TCP/IP port, but I
chose the wrong adapter for the port. Now I want to go back and fix it, but
I can't find any way to do so. When I tried running the wizard again it said
the port was already in use and kicked me out of the wizard.

How can I fix it?

Thanks
Ken