Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: The Bible in html/css...

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: The Bible in html/css...

 
 
Doug Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2011
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, freedomfighter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>It's there a way to create a typical Bible like 2 columns page -
>template with text flowing from left column to the right one?
>
>I want to make a Bible in html and I can't find any good example or any
>template.


http://lmgtfy.com/?q=html+two+column+text
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gus Richter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2011
On 3/19/2011 7:58 AM, freedomfighter wrote:
> On 19/03/2011 21:20, Doug Miller wrote:
>> In article<(E-Mail Removed) om.au>,
>> freedomfighter<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> It's there a way to create a typical Bible like 2 columns page -
>>> template with text flowing from left column to the right one?
>>>
>>> I want to make a Bible in html and I can't find any good example or any
>>> template.

>>
>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=html+two+column+text

>
>
> Many thanks...
>
> Looks like I was unable to explain my question. I think, I have found
> the answer in that link.
>
> So is the java script which does what I want do achieve.
>
> http://randysimons.nl/125,english/12...i-column-text/
>
> http://randysimons.com/overige/multicolumn/
>
> Looks like css2.1 can't do it as yet but with just one script I can
> achieve my goal.
>
> Many many thanks for your help and God bless you.



If you choose Javascript method, do be it, but if you wish to explore
the CSS method, read on.

Read this first:

<http://randysimons.nl/125,english/129,multi-column-text/#paragraaf_1>

Go see a working example of Multicolumns viewanble by Firefox, Chrome
and Safari:

<http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2011/03/investigating_p.html>
For Safari you might have to use:
<http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2011/03/>

Opera support is reported to be within the next two releases.

Specification for multi-column layouts in CSS:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/>

See the working example source for vendor specific prefixes.

--
Gus

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2011
Gus Richter wrote:

> On 3/19/2011 7:58 AM, freedomfighter wrote:


>> http://randysimons.nl/125,english/12...i-column-text/

[...]
> If you choose Javascript method, do be it, but if you wish to explore
> the CSS method, read on.


The approaches need not be mutually exclusive. You might use CSS3
Multi-column layout _and_ try to soup up some Javascript code that
"columnizes" text _if_ the browser does not support the CSS way. This isn't
trivial because browsers support CSS3 Multi-column under different names.

The Javascript method described on the cited page is defective, because it
mostly leaves the last line of each column too short (when the paragraph
continues in the next column). There's probably no easy way to fix this.
Besides, when the page is printed, the columnization seems to get lost
(perhaps intentionally).

I'm afraid the Web isn't quite ready for columns yet - except in the old
boring but working sense that you can _statically_ divide your content into
columns.

And how often do people actually want to read web pages the same way as they
read newspapers, reading a narrow column down to its bottom, then moving to
the start of the next column, etc.? In printed versions of pages, that might
make sense. But why should we try hard to create such rendering on a media
where it is neither necessary nor useful? It's easier to just scroll down if
needed.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2011
In article <Is2hp.24681$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>And how often do people actually want to read web pages the same way as they
>read newspapers, reading a narrow column down to its bottom, then moving to
>the start of the next column, etc.? In printed versions of pages, that might
>make sense. But why should we try hard to create such rendering on a media
>where it is neither necessary nor useful? It's easier to just scroll down if
>needed.


Well, maybe. It depends on the amount of content. It's certainly easier to
read text in two narrow columns than in one wide column -- as long as it all
fits on one screen. But if there's enough text to require scrolling, then the
two-column format requires scrolling down to reach the end of the first
column, then scrolling back up to find the top of the second one. That's a
nuisance, and I'd rather have a single column.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gus Richter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2011
On 3/19/2011 9:46 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Gus Richter wrote:
>
>> On 3/19/2011 7:58 AM, freedomfighter wrote:

>
>>> http://randysimons.nl/125,english/12...i-column-text/

> [...]
>> If you choose Javascript method, so be it, but if you wish to explore
>> the CSS method, read on.

>
> The approaches need not be mutually exclusive. You might use CSS3
> Multi-column layout _and_ try to soup up some Javascript code that
> "columnizes" text _if_ the browser does not support the CSS way. This
> isn't trivial because browsers support CSS3 Multi-column under different
> names.
>
> The Javascript method described on the cited page is defective, because
> it mostly leaves the last line of each column too short (when the
> paragraph continues in the next column). There's probably no easy way to
> fix this. Besides, when the page is printed, the columnization seems to
> get lost (perhaps intentionally).
>
> I'm afraid the Web isn't quite ready for columns yet - except in the old
> boring but working sense that you can _statically_ divide your content
> into columns.
>
> And how often do people actually want to read web pages the same way as
> they read newspapers, reading a narrow column down to its bottom, then
> moving to the start of the next column, etc.? In printed versions of
> pages, that might make sense. But why should we try hard to create such
> rendering on a media where it is neither necessary nor useful? It's
> easier to just scroll down if needed.



The OP wishes to use multi-columns with a Bible. The columns are
typically very narrow and with the wide screens mostly in use today, it
would look odd to have a single narrow column requiring constant
scrolling. Assuming that the desire is to not change the Bible from the
narrow column to a very wide one due to aesthetic reasons. Considering
that the paragraphs are short very often and therefore could take up
only one line per paragraph making it reasonable to use multi-columns
and keep the columns narrow. Scrolling up to the top of the second
column may not be necessary since the column height can be specified and
geared to the viewport.

Different uses will certainly have different requirements. Depending on
the quality of work required, multi-columns by itself may not be
sufficient for the OP due to the lack of special considerations such as
widows, orphans and other considerations. Multi-columns is simply as
described and nothing beyond at this time. Pagination and some of the
items mentioned, are not possible although there is always hope for
somewhere in the very far future.

--
Gus

 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2011
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Columns are, in most cases, idiotic on the Web.
>
> I read 3 or 4 newspapers every day. In my hands. Nice logical layout.
> Web? My eyes can't scan a whole page at once. Especially if it doesn't
> fit onto a single page (screen) like the paper I hold in my hands.
>
> It's a totally stupid and broken paradigm. It'll never work as this
> discussion seems to be suggesting.


If an essay or article has natural sections and they are not too
long, it should be able to be arranged to have those sections in
columns and not higher than can be seen when there are at least
two of them, the more there are the shorter they will be.
Scrolling always needing to be only one way as one reads. But it
is probably hard work to achieve and would not suit all articles.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gus Richter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2011
On 3/19/2011 4:00 PM, Gus Richter wrote:
>
> Different uses will certainly have different requirements. Depending on
> the quality of work required, multi-columns by itself may not be
> sufficient for the OP due to the lack of special considerations such as
> widows, orphans and other considerations. Multi-columns is simply as
> described and nothing beyond at this time. Pagination and some of the
> items mentioned, are not possible although there is always hope for
> somewhere in the very far future.



Addendum: Not so far perhaps. Some properties mentioned here are
supported, partially supported or not at all yet by the major browsers.
Once fully supported, pagination, widows and orphans can be successfully
handled.

CSS2.1 - Paged Media
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/page.html>

CSS3 - Column Breaks
<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#column-breaks>

Paged Media - Mozilla
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/Paged_Media>
Mozilla reports the status of the browsers on each individual property.
Unknown as to how current it may be.

--
Gus

 
Reply With Quote
 
Helpful person
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2011
On Mar 19, 10:52*pm, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Doug Miller wrote:
>
> Columns are, in most cases, idiotic on the Web.
>
> I read 3 or 4 newspapers every day. *In my hands. Nice logical layout.
> Web? *My eyes can't scan a whole page at once. *Especially if it doesn't
> fit onto a single page (screen) like the paper I hold in my hands.
>
> It's a totally stupid and broken paradigm. *It'll never work as this
> discussion seems to be suggesting.
>
> --
> Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net/
> "Harmony of aim, not identity of conclusion, is the secret of
> sympathetic life." - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Columns could be useful for printed output.

www.richardfisher.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Helpful person
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2011
On Mar 21, 2:38*pm, Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> *Especially* so IMHO, given that paper can't be easily resized like a
> browser window can be.
>
> sherm--
>
> --
> Sherm Pendley
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *<http://camelbones.sourceforge.net>
> Cocoa Developer


I resize it all the time. I'm often tearing up paper printed from a
web site that didn't bother to write the CCS for printing.

http://www.richardfisher.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would be the XML bible of choice? Erik van Zijst XML 0 05-22-2006 04:05 PM
one infinite leap and you thought the bible code was somthing!! zetasum Java 0 02-01-2005 05:02 PM
The Ebusiness Bible mish XML 0 02-13-2004 03:58 PM
WARNING to Bible Thumpers Steve Young Digital Photography 26 10-09-2003 11:43 PM
OT: (or is it?) the troll bible Weland DVD Video 2 07-01-2003 05:06 PM



Advertisments