Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > android GUI

android GUI

Roedy Green

I have had a request to port my Canadian Tax applet to Android.

http://mindprod.com/applet/canadiantax.html

did a quick look to try to figure out what would be involved. I
discovered they don't support either AWT or Swing. Any comments on
what the powers of its GUI are? Do you have equivalents to any of the
Swing components?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Roedy Green wrote:

> I have had a request to port my Canadian Tax applet to Android.
>
> http://mindprod.com/applet/canadiantax.html
>
> did a quick look to try to figure out what would be involved. I
> discovered they don't support either AWT or Swing. Any comments on
> what the powers of its GUI are? Do you have equivalents to any of the
> Swing components?

Don’t try to think in terms of porting an existing desktop mouse/keyboard-
centric GUI. The constraints of the small screen and the characteristics of
a touch interface are quite different.

Arne Vajhøj

On 17-03-2011 17:43, Roedy Green wrote:
> I have had a request to port my Canadian Tax applet to Android.
>
> http://mindprod.com/applet/canadiantax.html
>
> did a quick look to try to figure out what would be involved. I
> discovered they don't support either AWT or Swing. Any comments on
> what the powers of its GUI are? Do you have equivalents to any of the
> Swing components?

Check the docs:

http://developer.android.com/reference/packages.html

For whatever reason Google must have considered a new API
better for this new type of device than the existing API's.

Arne