Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: value of pi and 22/7

Re: value of pi and 22/7

John Gordon

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Neil Cerutti <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> RIIIIIIght. What's a cubit?

How long can you tread water?

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

Adam Tauno Williams

On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 14:16 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2011-03-18, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The Old Testament (1 Kings 7,23) says ... "And he made a molten sea,
> > ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and
> > his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it
> > round about. ". So pi=3. End Of.

> There's nothing wrong with that value. The measurements were given
> with one significant digit, so the ratio of the two measurements
> should only have one significant digit.

I've worked in landscaping and [low-scale] agriculture - pi as 3 is used
all the time. It is easy to compute in your head and close enough.

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:05:07 +0100, "Aage Andersen"
<aaan(REMOVE)@email.dk> declaimed the following in
gmane.comp.python.general:

> Other approximations I have seen are root(10) and 3.142. This last
> was especially popular at school, which for me was sufficiently long
> ago to have used four figure log tables.

Strange... Somewhere around 12 grade I finally memorized it as

3.141592654 where the 4 is a 36 rounded

As you can probably guess -- from a scientific calculator with a hidden
guard digit <G>
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
(E-Mail Removed) HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Steven D'Aprano

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 07:22:43 -0700, Kee Nethery wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2011, at 5:17 AM, Neil Cerutti wrote:
>
>> On 2011-03-18, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> The Old Testament (1 Kings 7,23) says ... "And he made a molten sea,
>>> ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and
>>> his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it
>>> round about. ". So pi=3. End Of.

>> RIIIIIIght. What's a cubit?

> I use cubits all the time. The distance from my elbow to my finger tips
> equals one cubit. When you don't have a proper measuring tape, it can be
> pretty accurate for comparing two measurements.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe."

Just wait until you tell your apprentice to go fetch a piece of wood
three cubits long... damn kids with their short/long arms...

--
Steven