Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Glorious Progress Back To The Past

Glorious Progress Back To The Past

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I’m having serious trouble trying to get my head around this
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/former-microsoft-execs-launch-ie-6-migration-product/8933>:

“UniBrows delivers complete IE6 functionality and behaviors by using the
original, native IE6 rendering, JavaScript, ActiveX and security
design,” company officials said ...

Isn’t that exactly the situation we’re trying to get the **** away from??

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <12b0o22o73c39$.1ld7i2c6yh52v$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bret wrote:

> Unibrows makes me think of the term monobrows, like a neanderthal LOL

It sounds like a spoof product, doesn’t it? Spelled that way on purpose.

Murray Symon

migration-product/8933>:

> “UniBrows delivers complete IE6 functionality and behaviors by using
> the original, native IE6 rendering, JavaScript, ActiveX and security
> design,” company officials said ...
>
> Isn’t that exactly the situation we’re trying to get the **** away from??

A bit early for April 1.

peterwn

On Mar 16, 7:41*pm, Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> > * * UniBrows delivers complete IE6 functionality and behaviors by using
> > * * the original, native IE6 rendering, JavaScript, ActiveX and security
> > * * design, company officials said ...

> > Isnt that exactly the situation were trying to get the **** away from??

> A bit early for April 1.

Seems that some corporate intranet applications are dependent on IE6
functionality and IT departments would rather retain IE6 rather than
rewrite their server side code. So there seems to be a market for a
IE6 lookalike browser which is will continue to have maintenance
support and will not be 'broken' by Windows 8 (or whatever it will be
called).

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn
wrote:

> Seems that some corporate intranet applications are dependent on IE6
> functionality and IT departments would rather retain IE6 rather than
> rewrite their server side code. So there seems to be a market for a
> IE6 lookalike browser which is will continue to have maintenance
> support and will not be 'broken' by Windows 8 (or whatever it will be
> called).

Until the company goes belly-up because it is trying to sell to a market
which is too cheap to provide enough revenue to support the necessary level
of software development.

So then the customers are left with an orphaned technology on top of an
orphaned technology, painting themselves into a corner twice over. What are
they going to do then?

Lawrence D'Oublespeak

In message <ilp5du$o9o$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> I’m having serious trouble trying to get my head around this
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/former-microsoft-execs-launch-ie-6-migration-product/8933>:
>
> “UniBrows delivers complete IE6 functionality and behaviors by using the
> original, native IE6 rendering, JavaScript, ActiveX and security
> design,” company officials said ...
>
> Isn’t that exactly the situation we’re trying to get the **** away from??

“As I have told you before, when Linux introduces a newer,
backward-incompatible version of something and allows the
new and old versions to coexist side by side, that is a
Good Thing.”
<http://groups.google.com/group/nz.comp/msg/fefeca05d400e7b8>

“When the same kind of thing happens on Windows, that is a
Bad Thing.”

“Why the difference?”

“I am a Linux Consultant and I earn my income from Linux.
If I spin this as a Bad Thing on Windows, and a Good Thing
on Linux, people will be motivated to migrate from Windows
to Linux and my future income prospects will increase.”

“You can tell from my cuss-words that I am very frustrated
with the state of my income now.”