Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to use second wireless Belkin router as a receiver?

How to use second wireless Belkin router as a receiver?

condor_222@yahoo.com

Dear Experts,

I have two wireless Belkin routers.

One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
F5D8236-4, V2
The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4

I'm working in the basement with a few machines.

I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
directly
into this older router using the CAT5 cables.

How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?

Thanks a lot!

LouB

> Dear Experts,
>
> I have two wireless Belkin routers.
>
> One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
> F5D8236-4, V2
> The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
>
> I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
>
> I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
> directly
> into this older router using the CAT5 cables.
>
> How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
>
> Thanks a lot!

Go to Belkin website and ask their tech support IF it can be done?

Netgear routers actually have a button switch to disable wifi.

Brian Cryer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Experts,
>
> I have two wireless Belkin routers.
>
> One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
> F5D8236-4, V2
> The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
>
> I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
>
> I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
> directly
> into this older router using the CAT5 cables.

Wireless routers generally transmit and allow others to connect to them, but
do not support the notion of being able to connect to a wireless network. It
might be possible, but as LouB posted you will have to ask their technical
support. I suspect you'll be out of luck.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Char Jackson

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:01:09 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Dear Experts,
>
>I have two wireless Belkin routers.
>
>One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
>F5D8236-4, V2
>The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
>
>I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
>
>I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
>directly
>into this older router using the CAT5 cables.
>
>How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
>
>Thanks a lot!

I believe the feature you're looking for is Wireless Client or more
correctly Wireless Client Bridge. Some Belkin routers include the
feature while others don't, so you'll have to log into the router and
look around. If the feature is missing, and if your router can handle
3rd party firmware like dd-wrt, then that will do what you want.

Lawrence Houston

In alt.internet.wireless (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

: The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4

Although I have NO experience using Belkin Routers, I have done what you
are requesting with Linksys WRT54GL Routers using DD-WRT's Third Party
Firmware!!! Although the Belkin F5D7230-4 Router is listed within
DD-WRT's Router Database, whether your G-Unit will be supported depends
upon its Revision:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

: How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?

Although DD-WRT's "Client Bridge" Mode is "Attractive" since it would
place your "Extended" LAN on the same Subnet as the your "Main" LAN,
with my WRT54GL Unit DD-WRT's "Client" Mode works "Best"!!! If your
G-Unit is supported and you are going ahead with DD-WRT then I suggest
their WiKi a good source of Information:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki

Good Luck!!!

Lawrence Houston -- ((E-Mail Removed))

Pen

> Dear Experts,
>
> I have two wireless Belkin routers.
>
> One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
> F5D8236-4, V2
> The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
>
> I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
>
> I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
> directly
> into this older router using the CAT5 cables.
>
> How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
>
> Thanks a lot!

It would appear that your router can be configured as an a
bridge. Docs here for a Wireless Distribution System.
http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/...1/kw/F5D7230-4

Dr Who

Pen wrote:

> On 3/15/2011 2:01 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Dear Experts,
> >
> > I have two wireless Belkin routers.
> >
> > One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
> > F5D8236-4, V2
> > The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
> >
> > I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
> >
> > I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my
> > machines directly
> > into this older router using the CAT5 cables.
> >
> > How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> >

> It would appear that your router can be configured as an a
> bridge. Docs here for a Wireless Distribution System.
> http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/...51/kw/F5D7230-
> 4

WEP security level only.

Kristofer Hawkins

I haven't confirmed this, but, I doubt the factory firmware will
support this. Given that your router (the older one, that you want to
act as a client) is supported by DD-WRT, I would agree with the
suggestion of first upgrading your router to the DD-WRT as well. Just
be sure to confirm that your version (not just model number) is
compatible, and you load the firmware they recommend for that model
AND version number (I don't believe you specified the version of the
older Belkin).

I have done what you are trying to do with my Linksys WRT54GS and
WRT300-N. It doesn't matter which firmware your AP is running, but,
you need a firmware that supports putting your router into a client
mode. I personally run the DD-WRT on both because it's just so much
better than what comes out of the box.

There are other open source firmwares that I believe support this
(such as Tomato or open-wrt), but, I am not familiar with them.

NeilG

On 3/15/2011 12:33 PM, Lawrence Houston wrote:
> In alt.internet.wireless (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> : The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
>
> Although I have NO experience using Belkin Routers, I have done what you
> are requesting with Linksys WRT54GL Routers using DD-WRT's Third Party
> Firmware!!! Although the Belkin F5D7230-4 Router is listed within
> DD-WRT's Router Database, whether your G-Unit will be supported depends
> upon its Revision:
>
> http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
>
> : How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
>
> Although DD-WRT's "Client Bridge" Mode is "Attractive" since it would
> place your "Extended" LAN on the same Subnet as the your "Main" LAN,
> with my WRT54GL Unit DD-WRT's "Client" Mode works "Best"!!! If your
> G-Unit is supported and you are going ahead with DD-WRT then I suggest
> their WiKi a good source of Information:
>
> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki
>
> Good Luck!!!
>
> Lawrence Houston -- ((E-Mail Removed))

I was originally going to second Lawrence's suggestion,
based on my own experience with DD-WRT. I use DD-WRT on two
routers, which are connected as a repeater bridge (where the
users connect wirelessly to the second unit). It has worked
just fine for me for over a year, and I am not a computer
professional. (You do have to be careful about which
versions of DD-WRT to install; go to the DD-WRT forum to
find out, and do not rely on the database.) The security
level on my bridge is WPA2 Personal, which is quite strong.

However, I checked the DD-WRT database of supported units,
and while Belkin units are supported, the database has a
warning for all Belkin units:

WARNING: Always use TFTP to flash Belkin routers if at
all possible! Upgrading dd-wrt from the web interface
can lead to a bricked (nonfunctional) unit!

If that message means nothing to you, you should probably
stick to the WDS instructions provided by Belkin, unless you
need better security than WEP.

HTH

Neil

Rich Johnson

> Dear Experts,
>
> I have two wireless Belkin routers.
>
> One is a newer N / G router that plugs into the modem. Model:
> F5D8236-4, V2
> The other is an older G router. Model: F5D7230-4
>
> I'm working in the basement with a few machines.
>
> I'd like to use the older G router as a receiver, and plug my machines
> directly
> into this older router using the CAT5 cables.
>
> How do I configure the older Belkin router to do this?
>
> Thanks a lot!

Unless it can be configured as a wireless bridge, it can't. There is an
alternative though. You configure one of your computers to connect to
the existing wireless network. Then share the connection in the
computer to your wired NIC, and put it in the wired switch and connect
the other computers to it. You typically need to assign fixed IP
addresses to the other computers. Your shared NIC port will be by
default 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0. So they will need to be on that
network, with the 192.168.0.1 as the gateway.