Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > cheap hosting with simple CMS

cheap hosting with simple CMS

123Jim

news:ile6v1$e7m$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> 123Jim wrote:
>
>> Checking my settings for my domain I chose frame forwarding but what I
>> really wanted was the the URL to contain the domain-name/webpage.html
>> .. but that is not what I get with frame forwarding .. I see I have
>> other options: A, name, URL frame, URL forward and 'text' .. which
>> one of these would result in my URLs containing the
>> domain/webpage.html ?

> Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
> other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

It's a jungle out there )
I see a setting for DNS server settings: [Select DNS Source: 'Our DNS'
(recommended) or 'Custom DNS'] .. Trouble is I barely look at these
settings for 10 minutes every 2 years. .. I don't want to send my high
traffic website into the depths of the internet black hole by messing with
this setting .. unless it is simple.. (high traffic .. lol )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

123Jim wrote:

> Maybe I have missed a trick all these years ..

Ahh, I've now had a look at weebly.com. That place seems to be one of
those "pseudo-hosts" as I like to call them. If I were you, and if you
want to actually publish a real web site, I'd run away.

--
-bts

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

123Jim wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
>> other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

> I see a setting for DNS server settings: [Select DNS Source: 'Our DNS'
> (recommended) or 'Custom DNS'] .. Trouble is I barely look at these
> settings for 10 minutes every 2 years. .. I don't want to send my
> high traffic website into the depths of the internet black hole by
> messing with this setting .. unless it is simple.. (high traffic ..
> lol )

No. NameServers.

Check this out:
<http://whois.domaintools.com/weebly.com>

"Weebly.com is for sale
The owner of the domain you are researching has it listed for sale."

Run away faster!

But, scroll down the page near the bottom, and see "Name Servers". You
would need to know yours, supplied by your host.

--
-bts

idle

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:14:11 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

> "idle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:35:32 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....
>>>
>>> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
>>> hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
>>> has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
>>> user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.
>>>
>>> Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration
>>> and
>>> hosting side of the deal.
>>> To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
>>> $29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..
>>>
>>> I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame
>>> forwarding
>>> to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend
>>> it
>>> to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
>>> that might cause me a headache ..
>>>
>>> I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

>> Buy your domain name here.
>> http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/
>> Comes with free privacy, easy dns control, etc.
>> Buy your hosting from here.
>> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
>> There you can check offers and features offered by lots of companies.
>> Make sure you use the sites search feature to check the names you want
>> to compare so you don't get tossed by a newbie/kiddie company.
>>
>> Pretty easy stuff.
>>

>> --

> Thanks . I like the price at netfirms .. how easy is it to transfer domains?

Simple
http://support.netfirms.com/domains/...ns-to-netfirms

http://support.netfirms.com/domains/...tfirms-account

--
idle
I refuse to let common sense cloud my judgment.

123Jim

news:ile9fg$e2r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> 123Jim wrote:
>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>>> Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
>>> other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

>> I see a setting for DNS server settings: [Select DNS Source: 'Our DNS'
>> (recommended) or 'Custom DNS'] .. Trouble is I barely look at these
>> settings for 10 minutes every 2 years. .. I don't want to send my
>> high traffic website into the depths of the internet black hole by
>> messing with this setting .. unless it is simple.. (high traffic ..
>> lol )

> No. NameServers.
>
> Check this out:
> <http://whois.domaintools.com/weebly.com>
>
> "Weebly.com is for sale
> The owner of the domain you are researching has it listed for sale."
>
> Run away faster!
>
> But, scroll down the page near the bottom, and see "Name Servers". You
> would need to know yours, supplied by your host.
>
> --

Thanks .. back to the drawing board I guess .. I should have known it was
looking to convenient. Trouble is hosting is such a cut throat business ..
Which hosting companies are 1 -cheap and 2- not regularly for sale ..
My flaky domain provider has been sold at least twice in 9 years .. with a
different domain name each time .. it's a problem when I only look for them
every two years.
cheers

123Jim

"idle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:14:11 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
>
>> "idle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Buy your domain name here.
>>> http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/
>>> Comes with free privacy, easy dns control, etc.
>>> Buy your hosting from here.
>>> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
>>> There you can check offers and features offered by lots of companies.
>>> Make sure you use the sites search feature to check the names you want
>>> to compare so you don't get tossed by a newbie/kiddie company.
>>>
>>> Pretty easy stuff.
>>>

>>> --

>> Thanks . I like the price at netfirms .. how easy is it to transfer
>> domains?

> Simple
> http://support.netfirms.com/domains/...ns-to-netfirms
>
> http://support.netfirms.com/domains/...tfirms-account
>
> --

great, thanks!

Jeff Thies

On 3/11/2011 4:36 PM, 123Jim wrote:
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ile1q0$j85$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> 123Jim wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.

>> "Never put all your eggs in one basket."
>>
>> --

> In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
> around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of the web
> .. The fact they 'seem' expensive on the domain hosting side gives me some
> confidence they will continue.
>
> Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain with a
> different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil 'frame forwarding'
> that I seem compelled to endure with 1395domains.com?

GoDaddy isn't much. If your domain isn't worth $15 you should reconsider.

There are plenty of nightmare stories about having someone other than
yourself control the DNS. Wherever you host make sure you can change the
DNS at any time and for any reason. This is not necessarily the case
where a host handles the DNS.

Just had a client whose site went down when the DNS server went schitzy.

anderson87 anderson87 is offline
Junior Member
Location: New Jersey

I have used TuckTail.com for domain registry for many years and love them. Excellent service and great prices, with many advanced options, but easy to use.