Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: problem burning DL DVDS

Re: problem burning DL DVDS

Paul

Fredd Wright wrote:
> I have a problem burning DL DVDS. Every time i burn one on the PC and then
> try to play it, the picture gets "blocky" and freezes up at some point. On
> the other hand, every time i burn a single layer DVD, it works perfectly.
> Could this be a problem with the burner or the software or something else?
> I've tried different brands of DVDs and i use Nero to burn them.
>
> Fredd

It's possible to scan burned media.

http://www.myce.com/review/liteon-ih...performance-7/

The thing is, it seems not all drives can do an error scan. Even though
Mero InfoTool claims my drive supports C2 errors, I can't get a scanning
tool to use my drive. I have a couple burners. I have an old CDRW, which
will do error scans. My newer DVDRW won't do scans.

I found a Linux program that can do scans, and it has a strange list
of brands of drives that it accepts. I don't know if the ability to
scan for errors, is tied to a particular chipset (MediaTek), or is
related to the firmware.

In the past, Liteon drives were used for error scanning. And perhaps
that's where I got the idea that just any drive could do it. At the
time, I was testing out a Liteon DVDRW, and it could do scans. I could
also run KProbe with that one.

In the pictures on that page, you can see that the two layers have different
error characteristics. I almost get the impression, that perhaps one disc records
in a different order than the other kind. On the few dual layers I've
burned here, they seem to start at the hub, burn outwatds to the edge, then
change layers, and burn back towards the hub again. In the graphs
on the myce review, you can see a slight "glitch" in playback speed,
right where the layer break occurs. The drive has to change focus
at that point, to focus on the other layer.

Now, if you can't do an error scan, the next best thing is to benchmark
the drive playback speed. If there is a severe error problem with a piece of
burned media, it upsets the benchmark and you can conclude from that,
that the disc has errors. All burned discs will have errors, but error
correction takes care of small quantities of them. The error correction
is powerful enough, you can even scratch the media, and it will still play.
But if the burning process isn't tuned properly, there is a constant
error rate, perhaps thousands of errors, and at that point, the drive
can no longer correct the errors and forward the blocks to the computer.

You can use this for benchmarking.

The discs I bought, aren't nearly this fast. You can see a tiny glitch
in the green trace, at the layer break at the peak.

http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/...aldvdspeed.jpg

Paul

PROBLEM burning DVDs; any help?? big note Computer Support 5 06-19-2007 03:34 AM
Burning DVDs Grace Computer Support 2 06-07-2005 10:07 PM
burning dvds, sound problem steve Computer Support 0 01-01-2005 04:50 PM

Advertisments