Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Mastering C++ books

Mastering C++ books

crea

Any good advanced level C++ books you would recommend to go to next level. I
know basics since 1996. I have already Bjarnes book.

Victor Bazarov

On 3/9/2011 1:40 PM, crea wrote:
> Any good advanced level C++ books you would recommend to go to next level. I
> know basics since 1996. I have already Bjarnes book.

Try "Modern C++ Design" by Alexandrescu, "Multi-Paradigm Design for C++"
by Coplien. Concentrate on the application domain, not the language.
C++ is just a tool.

bancsy

On Mar 10, 2:40*am, "crea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Any good advanced level C++ books you would recommend to go to next level.. I
> know basics since 1996. I have already Bjarnes book.

You can find a list of the definitive books on C++ here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...guide-and-list

There are other good books out there but I find this list to be
satisfactory.
If you want to take your programming skills higher you can also read
books on software design.
"Design Patterns" by Gamma et al and "Refactoring" by Fowler are two
of the most popular.

Qi

On 2011-3-10 2:40, crea wrote:
> Any good advanced level C++ books you would recommend to go to next level. I
> know basics since 1996. I have already Bjarnes book.

Too many books there.
But "C++ Templates" is very very good.
I read it a lot recently.

--
WQ

ptyxs

Effective C++ by Scott Meyers is a very good book.

Ruslan Mullakhmetov

Exceptional C++ by Herb Sutter is good book.

--
Ruslan Mulakhmetov

crea

ptyxs wrote:
> Effective C++ by Scott Meyers is a very good book.

Ok. Its not a book for beginners? because I am not a beginner...

crea

Ruslan Mullakhmetov wrote:
> Exceptional C++ by Herb Sutter is good book.

Thanks, nice to get options. I will buy many books now.. like 3-5

Victor Bazarov

On 3/10/2011 3:33 PM, crea wrote:
> ptyxs wrote:
>> Effective C++ by Scott Meyers is a very good book.

> Ok. Its not a book for beginners? because I am not a beginner...

I think you should leaf through it in your local bookstore and judge for
yourself. When I got my first copy (several years into my C++ studies),
out of the 50 items I found that only 6 represented something I've not
known.

bancsy

On Mar 11, 4:38*am, Victor Bazarov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 3/10/2011 3:33 PM, crea wrote:
>
> > ptyxs wrote:
> >> Effective C++ by Scott Meyers is a very good book.

> > Ok. Its not a book for beginners? because I am not a beginner...

> I think you should leaf through it in your local bookstore and judge for
> yourself. *When I got my first copy (several years into my C++ studies),
> out of the 50 items I found that only 6 represented something I've not
> known.

I have to agree. Don't take other people's words for it. You have to
browse through it to know
whether it is a good book for you to read.

Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
Mastering the Nikon D70 jkissing Digital Photography 6 05-11-2004 07:51 PM
Mastering Microsoft Visual J++ 6 Steve MCSD 1 04-05-2004 11:54 AM
Mastering Visual Basic 6.0 Problem Programmer Microsoft Certification 0 11-13-2003 10:33 PM

Advertisments