Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: attach to process by pid?

Re: attach to process by pid?

James Mills

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Danny Shevitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there any way to attach to an already running process by pid? I want to send
> commands from python to an application that is already running. I don't want to
> give the command name to subprocess.Popen.

Unless I'm missing something here I don't see how you could
achieve communication with another process unless that
process has some kind of communication(s) interface; eg:
* some kind of listening socket
* some kind of I/O (pipe, stdin/stdout)

cheers
James

--
-- James Mills
--

bobicanprogram

On Mar 8, 7:49 pm, James Mills <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Danny Shevitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Is there any way to attach to an already running process by pid? I want to send
> > commands from python to an application that is already running. I don't want to
> > give the command name to subprocess.Popen.

> Unless I'm missing something here I don't see how you could
> achieve communication with another process unless that
> process has some kind of communication(s) interface; eg:
> * some kind of listening socket
> * some kind of I/O (pipe, stdin/stdout)
>
> cheers
> James
>
> --
> -- James Mills
> --
> -- "Problems are solved by method"

Have a look at the SIMPL toolkit. http://www.icanprogram.com/06py/lesson1/lesson1.html

This should be able to do exactly what you want.

bob

Danny Shevitz

> Have a look at the SIMPL toolkit.

http://www.icanprogram.com/06py/lesson1/lesson1.html

> This should be able to do exactly what you want.
>
> bob

Does this work on Mac OS X?

thanks,
Danny

bobicanprogram

On Mar 9, 1:28 pm, Danny Shevitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Have a look at the SIMPL toolkit.

> http://www.icanprogram.com/06py/lesson1/lesson1.html
>

> > This should be able to do exactly what you want.

> > bob

> Does this work on Mac OS X?
>
> thanks,
> Danny

I'm not aware of any ports of the SIMPL toolkit to the MacOSX.
However, the core SIMPL library doesn't depend on anything facier than
a named pipe or fifo and shared memory. If you'd like to be the test
bed I can ask around the SIMPL project to see if anyone wants to take
a crack at porting the SIMPL-Python stuff to MacOSX.

bob