Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Tracking a poster

Tracking a poster

Roger Dewhurst

Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?

Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

Roger Dewhurst

On 9/03/2011 10:20 a.m., Allistar wrote:
> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
>
>> Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?
>>
>> Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

> You can get the IP address the posted from by looking at the headers. From
> that you may be able to determine their ISP. Though IP addresses are easily
> "faked" by posting through a simple proxy.

There is a method much more sophisticated than that! It gets past the
fakes.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Roger Dewhurst wrote:
>> Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?
>>
>> Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

>You can get the IP address the posted from by looking at the headers. From
>that you may be able to determine their ISP. Though IP addresses are easily
>"faked" by posting through a simple proxy.

... and hey ... these are news groups. Expectations of courtesy and
politeness belong in the real world (well, a bit more than here anyway ).

And offence is taken, not given.

Mgsr. Scooter

On , , Wed, 09 Mar 2011 10:07:26 +1300, Tracking a poster, Roger Dewhurst
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?

Who are you looking for Roger?
I have managed to track down most posters in the local newsgroups for my own
interest.

>Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

It's quite easy to find out where people are posting from, but long term
analysis of their posts mostly always divulges their true identity.

to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.

JohnO

On Mar 9, 10:07*am, Roger Dewhurst <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?
>
> Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

You can't basically. That is unless the poster puts his name and email
address on their post, of course.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <il65q3$oo0$(E-Mail Removed)>, Roger Dewhurst wrote:

> Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?

Complain to the abuse address. For example, in your own posting, there is
the header line:

That’s who is responsible for feeding your postings into USENET.

Patrick FitzGerald

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:05:54 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Complain to the abuse address. For example, in your own posting, there is
>the header line:

>That’s who is responsible for feeding your postings into USENET.

In my experience complaints don't work, I have posted at lest three to
ISP's and not one of them has resulted in any action.

Patrick

Enkidu

On 09/03/11 12:22, Roger Dewhurst wrote:
> On 9/03/2011 10:20 a.m., Allistar wrote:
>> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to
>>> newsgroups?
>>>
>>> Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

>> You can get the IP address the posted from by looking at the headers.
>> From
>> that you may be able to determine their ISP. Though IP addresses are
>> easily
>> "faked" by posting through a simple proxy.

> There is a method much more sophisticated than that! It gets past the
> fakes.

No method is infallible.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccolň di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Mgsr. Scooter

On , , Wed, 09 Mar 2011 15:38:36 +1300, Re: Tracking a poster, Allistar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mgsr. Scooter wrote:
>
>> On , , Wed, 09 Mar 2011 10:07:26 +1300, Tracking a poster, Roger Dewhurst
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?

>> Who are you looking for Roger?
>> I have managed to track down most posters in the local newsgroups for my
>> own interest.
>>
>>>Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

>> It's quite easy to find out where people are posting from,

>Assuming they're not intentionally masking that.

As I said below, long term analysis often provides their identity.

>> but long term
>> analysis of their posts mostly always divulges their true identity.

to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.

Mike Dee

Mgsr. Scooter wrote:

> --
> "The law, in its majestic equality...

Sig's require a space before the carriage return after the two "--"'s
to work correctly. Is your Forte Agent sending the sig incorrectly, or
are you?

--
dee