Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > new to python, trying to choose a book.

new to python, trying to choose a book.

sogeking99

hey. been looking into book for learning python(or what ever resource
really) two books are frequently recommended, learn python the hard
way and think python. i have also been recommended dive into python by
one person, who said it was fantastic. but another person said it was
dated and even when it was made, it wasn't very good.

i have some experience with programming (not much) i know the basics
of java like control flow and inheritance. but thats about it

is head first python a good book? i quite liked what i read of head
first python.

Brandon LaRocque

I'd suggest Zed Shaw's amazing Learn Python The Hard Way [1] (which
isn't as hard as it sounds) - and it's free over the web (but, I
believe - you can buy a copy). I dislike Pilgrim's Dive Into Python,
but that's just me (though I thoroughly recommend Dive Into HTML5 to
anyone interested in HTML5) - many disagree. Haven't read Head First
Python.

[1] - http://learnpythonthehardway.org/index