Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Fast shut down of Windows 7

Fast shut down of Windows 7

Anders Boholdt-Petersen

Hi everyone,

On the home page
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/1...windows-vista/
, I have found a guide there describe how you could setup a faster shut down
of Windows XP and Vista if you change a values in the registry.

I can not find the value if I look in the registry on a Windows 7 64-bit
operating system.

Have other person a guide so I also could optimize Windows 7 64-bit for
quicklyer shut down?

Specifically I am interested regarding auto kill of the process (see the
link above).

Very thanks for the answers.

/ Anders

Robert Carnegie

Anders Boholdt-Petersen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> On the home page
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/1...windows-vista/
> , I have found a guide there describe how you could setup a faster shut down
> of Windows XP and Vista if you change a values in the registry.
>
> I can not find the value if I look in the registry on a Windows 7 64-bit
> operating system.
>
> Have other person a guide so I also could optimize Windows 7 64-bit for
> quicklyer shut down?
>
> Specifically I am interested regarding auto kill of the process (see the
> link above).
>
> Very thanks for the answers.
>
> / Anders

I think this approach is unhelpful and unwise. If you want to be
careful about not losing data when you shut down your computer, you
should leave these settings alone, or, if you don't care, you can
simply switch off power, and your computer is instantly off. However,
data saved to disk may be not actually on the disk straight away - or
am I thinking of Microsoft SQL Server instead of Windows...

I'd also be nervous about this possibly disagreeing with Windows
Update...

If your computer is healthy, programs will shut down as promptly as
they safely can when they are told to do so; consequently, this change
would make no difference. If you do frequently see the "End Task"
dialog box when shutting down your computer, then this may be a useful
way to tame the offending program, if you accept any risk.

As far as I can see, you can test the behaviour that affects Windows
desktop programs simply by typing some text into Windows Notepad, not
saving it, and attempting to shut down the PC - and ignore Notepad
prompting you to save its document. After a few seconds, Windows will
warn you that Notepad isn't closing - or if you have applied these
registry changes. Windows will just kill the program.

<http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...utdown-tweaks-
combined.html>
provides an example from which it appears that by saving a Notepad
text file as "anders.reg" containing these lines,

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"AutoEndTasks"="1"

and then double-clicking that file - you will get the change that you
have asked for. However, I'm not sure that the author has got the
correct Registry record type. See what happens, if you still want
to.

Rob

On 04/03/2011 21:37, Anders Boholdt-Petersen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> On the home page
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/1...windows-vista/
> , I have found a guide there describe how you could setup a faster shut down
> of Windows XP and Vista if you change a values in the registry.
>
> I can not find the value if I look in the registry on a Windows 7 64-bit
> operating system.
>
> Have other person a guide so I also could optimize Windows 7 64-bit for
> quicklyer shut down?
>
> Specifically I am interested regarding auto kill of the process (see the
> link above).
>
> Very thanks for the answers.
>
> / Anders

Windows7x64 Pro shuts down in 7.2 seconds on my rig (only has Office
2010 and about half a dozen other standard apps (eg Nero, usual Adobe
stuff) though. Maybe something you have installed is slowing it down?
Might be worth checking the event logs and looking at which 3rd-party
processes are the real cause of the issue.
--
Rob