Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > xD Camera card unreadable;(..

xD Camera card unreadable;(..

tony sayer

One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
become un-readable by the card reader and camera.

I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
card or camera cannot read the card.

Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..

And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..

Cheers..
--
Tony Sayer

Brian Morrison

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:03:50 +0000
tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
> card or camera cannot read the card.

If you get an XD->SD adapter then try it in a laptop with an SD card
slot. I had an unreadable card in an Android phone, when put directly
in the SD slot Win 7 64bit managed to read the card and fix the file
system OK. Didn't seem to lose much.

If more mangled than that, I don't know, there has to be a minimum
amount of stuff to allow the card's internal controller to give a
recognisable signature to the file system software.

Also, possibly a Linux machine could allow a dd command to run on the
SD reader device and hence do a sector by sector copy to disk?

--

Brian Morrison

The Natural Philosopher

Brian Morrison wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:03:50 +0000
> tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
>> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
>> card or camera cannot read the card.

> If you get an XD->SD adapter then try it in a laptop with an SD card
> slot. I had an unreadable card in an Android phone, when put directly
> in the SD slot Win 7 64bit managed to read the card and fix the file
> system OK. Didn't seem to lose much.
>
> If more mangled than that, I don't know, there has to be a minimum
> amount of stuff to allow the card's internal controller to give a
> recognisable signature to the file system software.
>
> Also, possibly a Linux machine could allow a dd command to run on the
> SD reader device and hence do a sector by sector copy to disk?

Problem is that if flash gets corrupted, it gets REALLY corrupted.

Like a large block wiped out.

May be gone for good mate.

Steve Walker

tony sayer wrote:
> One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
> who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
> become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
>
> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
> card or camera cannot read the card.
>
> Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
> cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
>
> And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
> all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..

Try www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec - it has worked well for me in the
past, and it's big brother www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk will recover
amazing amounts from defective hard drives. Free download, easy install,
friendly interface (no conflict of interest to declare, I'm just a fan)

Bob Eager

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:10:03 +0000, Brian Morrison wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:03:50 +0000
> tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
>> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
>> card or camera cannot read the card.

> If you get an XD->SD adapter then try it in a laptop with an SD card
> slot. I had an unreadable card in an Android phone, when put directly in
> the SD slot Win 7 64bit managed to read the card and fix the file system
> OK. Didn't seem to lose much.
>
> If more mangled than that, I don't know, there has to be a minimum
> amount of stuff to allow the card's internal controller to give a
> recognisable signature to the file system software.
>
> Also, possibly a Linux machine could allow a dd command to run on the SD
> reader device and hence do a sector by sector copy to disk?

Or, even better, ddrescue.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

jkn

Photorescue, from these people:

http://www.datarescue.com/

is supposed to be good. No personal experience though.

HTH
Jon

AlanD

On 04/03/2011 11:03, tony sayer wrote:

> One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
> who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
> become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
>
> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
> card or camera cannot read the card.
>
> Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
> cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
>
> And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
> all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..
>
> Cheers..

I've had good results with Stellar recover software
(http://www.stellarinfo.com/) - with several flash cards, USB sticks and
hard drives over the years. I believe the free version will analyse the
drive (card in this case) and show you what's recoverable, but you need
to purchase it to actually recover the data.

Alan.

Mike Tomlinson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony sayer
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
>cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

it's designed for just this sort of thing. I've used the companion
program, TestDisk, a few times and it has saved my bacon more then once.

--
Mike Tomlinson

SS

"Mike Tomlinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d1D$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony sayer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>>Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
>>cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..

> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
>
> it's designed for just this sort of thing. I've used the companion
> program, TestDisk, a few times and it has saved my bacon more then once.
>
> --
> Mike Tomlinson

I cant remember the nam (wish I could) but I used a free download to
retrieve a corrupted card and it recovered most of them including some I had
deleted a good while back.
No harm in downloading a couple and trying them.

James D Andrews

"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> One of our crew has some very important pictures on one of these cards
> who was using it in a card reader and now for some reason or other its
> become un-readable by the card reader and camera.
>
> I see that there are some packages of software that claim to recover
> these. This however doesn't seem like just deleted files more like the
> card or camera cannot read the card.
>
> Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing with these
> cards at all and can recommend a software package, free or paid for ?..
>
> And yes the person concerned has been given a lecture on data backup but
> all that resulted in was a flood of tears;!..
>
> Cheers..
> --
> Tony Sayer

Check CNET - they have a download for ArtPlus digital recovery. I had an
older version but ended up not using it, though the interface was simple.
Don't know about the new version.

There are others there that claim to do the trick as well.

http://download.cnet.com