Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > STL bitset class slow..

STL bitset class slow..

Joshua Maurice

On Mar 4, 1:13*pm, Jorgen Grahn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-04, crea wrote:
> > Marcel M ller wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> if you think about gcc, you will most likely need an additional IDE. I
> >> would recommend Eclipse CDT (free). It will outperform the VC6 IDE by
> >> far. Of course, gcc will not support MFC, because of license issues.
> >> (An advantage, in my opinion.)

> > Ok, thanks... I will check that. I ll let you know. Interesting stuff....

> > Professionally speaking, do you think it is a good idea to learn these after
> > using VC since 1996? ITs free, so is it professional??

> In my experience (on Unix, not Windows) it's the /free/ development
> tools which are professional, not the proprietary ones.

As an aside, I love the visual studios IDE and especially the
integrated debugger. It beats everything I've ever seen built on top
of gdb in terms of usability and power IMHO.

James Kanze

On Mar 4, 9:13 pm, Jorgen Grahn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-04, crea wrote:
> > Marcel M ller wrote:

> > Professionally speaking, do you think it is a good idea to
> > learn these after using VC since 1996? ITs free, so is it
> > professional??

> In my experience (on Unix, not Windows) it's the /free/ development
> tools which are professional, not the proprietary ones.

It depends. On most platforms, the "native" development tools
(VC++ under Windows, g++ under Linux, Sun CC under Solaris,
etc.) are generally "professional". On a lot of platforms, g++
is professional, even when it isn't native, and from what I've
heard, Intel's compilers are professional as well. I don't
think you can make any blanket statements any more. (In a
fairly distant past, free generally did mean not professional,
but that's certainly not the case now.)

Also, in general, Unix tools tend to be more professional than
Windows tools, probably because Windows is the OS of choice for
non-professionals.

--
James Kanze

James Kanze

On Mar 5, 3:34 am, Joshua Maurice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
> As an aside, I love the visual studios IDE and especially the
> integrated debugger. It beats everything I've ever seen built on top
> of gdb in terms of usability and power IMHO.

Really. I find it one of the worst debuggers I've ever used.
It's constantly driving me up the wall, because I'm unable to
see what I want (where as it's filling up the screen with things
I'm not interested it).

--
James Kanze

RaZiel

On 05.03.2011 03:28, crea wrote:
> RaZiel wrote:
>> On 04.03.2011 18:58, crea wrote:
>>>

>> If you'd go for wxWidgets and looking for a new C++ IDE for Windows,
>> I'd recommend CodeLite. It has a single installer with both
>> GCC(MinGW) and wxWidgets included. It feels natural even if you have
>> used VS for a long time. You can most likely still go for MFC using
>> CodeLite by the way.

> Ok, I actually just installed that one...CodeLite because it was so easy.
> Just to test. But I am not able to get windows project showing a windows. I
> always just get a black dos window. Why is this?
>
> I go to new project/GUI/.. and tried all wxWidgets project. But when I
> compile them I just get a dos window not normal window. Is something still
> missing from my computer?

This is really off-topic, but since we write "GCC" in here, it should be
OK

Cool. Yeah it's intuitive and easy to use straight away. I've
encountered the same problem, it may be that during building there are
actually problems, even if the build reports success at the end. Take a
look into the build window (left-most icon in the bottom).

The problem I had was:
g++: 'D:\Program: Invalid argument
g++: Files\wxWidgets-2.8.10'.: No such file or directory
Problems with whitespace in the path.

Aside from CodeLite hickups, I'm really impressed by wxWidgets and the
wxFormBuilder. Good luck!

- RaZ

crea

RaZiel wrote:
> On 05.03.2011 03:28, crea wrote:
>> RaZiel wrote:
>>> On 04.03.2011 18:58, crea wrote:
>>>>

>>> If you'd go for wxWidgets and looking for a new C++ IDE for Windows,
>>> I'd recommend CodeLite. It has a single installer with both
>>> GCC(MinGW) and wxWidgets included. It feels natural even if you have
>>> used VS for a long time. You can most likely still go for MFC using
>>> CodeLite by the way.

>> Ok, I actually just installed that one...CodeLite because it was so
>> easy. Just to test. But I am not able to get windows project showing
>> a windows. I always just get a black dos window. Why is this?
>>
>> I go to new project/GUI/.. and tried all wxWidgets project. But when
>> I compile them I just get a dos window not normal window. Is
>> something still missing from my computer?
>>

> This is really off-topic, but since we write "GCC" in here, it should
> be OK
>
> Cool. Yeah it's intuitive and easy to use straight away. I've
> encountered the same problem, it may be that during building there are
> actually problems, even if the build reports success at the end. Take
> a look into the build window (left-most icon in the bottom).
>
> The problem I had was:
> g++: 'D:\Program: Invalid argument
> g++: Files\wxWidgets-2.8.10'.: No such file or directory
> Problems with whitespace in the path.
>
> Aside from CodeLite hickups, I'm really impressed by wxWidgets and the
> wxFormBuilder. Good luck!

yes, if I press the "Build active project", I get sometimes: "error:
wx/image.h: no such file or directory"

But the funny thing is that if I right click on my project name on Workspace
and select "rebuild all" it says that build is successfull.

crea

RaZiel wrote:
> On 05.03.2011 03:28, crea wrote:
>
> The problem I had was:
> g++: 'D:\Program: Invalid argument
> g++: Files\wxWidgets-2.8.10'.: No such file or directory
> Problems with whitespace in the path.

yes. Do I possibly have to add some paths to "Environment Variables"? I had
cygwin before this, and this had to be done for it.

Andre Kaufmann

On 05.03.2011 13:27, James Kanze wrote:
> On Mar 5, 3:34 am, Joshua Maurice<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> As an aside, I love the visual studios IDE and especially the
>> integrated debugger. It beats everything I've ever seen built on top
>> of gdb in terms of usability and power IMHO.

> Really. I find it one of the worst debuggers I've ever used.
> It's constantly driving me up the wall, because I'm unable to
> see what I want (where as it's filling up the screen with things
> I'm not interested it).

Since it's some years ago, since I had a deeper look at Unix development
tools, I wonder if there are now IDE based C++ development tools
available, besides Eclipse / KDevelop ?

Could you give an example, where a professional than Windows, Unix
debugger is easier to handle ?

(Besides ... I don't know why you make a difference between Windows /
Unix / Mac, since I thought the tools are available under all OS's?)

E.g.:

In VStudio I right click a variable - select add watch and the variable
will be displayed in the watch window, every time the debugger stops and
if the variable is visible (either globally or on the current stack).

How can that be done easier or more professional under your favorite
Unix tool.

Additionally if I add a STL variable the variable will be expanded
appropriately: E.g.: std::string s = "hello" will be displayed as

s: "hello"

in the watch window.

Don't get me wrong, I like GCC (has evolved a lot and regarding standard
conformance it's ahead of VC), but I sometimes miss the comfort of an
IDE like VStudio under Unix.

> --
> James Kanze

Andre

Jorgen Grahn

On Sat, 2011-03-05, Andre Kaufmann wrote:
> On 05.03.2011 13:27, James Kanze wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 3:34 am, Joshua Maurice<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>> As an aside, I love the visual studios IDE and especially the
>>> integrated debugger. It beats everything I've ever seen built on top
>>> of gdb in terms of usability and power IMHO.

>> Really. I find it one of the worst debuggers I've ever used.
>> It's constantly driving me up the wall, because I'm unable to
>> see what I want (where as it's filling up the screen with things
>> I'm not interested it).

> Since it's some years ago, since I had a deeper look at Unix development
> tools, I wonder if there are now IDE based C++ development tools
> available, besides Eclipse / KDevelop ?
>
> Could you give an example, where a professional than Windows, Unix
> debugger is easier to handle ?
>
> (Besides ... I don't know why you make a difference between Windows /
> Unix / Mac, since I thought the tools are available under all OS's?)

I think it was me (my upthread posting) who made the distinction.
And it was simply because I don't do Windows, so I don't want to
comment on it.

(Also, I'm one of those who don't use debuggers to step through
programs. I just use gdb for post-mortem debugging. And I don't see
the point with IDEs beyond what Emacs does. But those topics have been
beaten to death here many times already.)

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Juha Nieminen

red floyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 3:39*am, "crea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Miles Bader wrote:
>> > "crea" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> [redacted]
>> True, I forgot the optimization issue.... I use VC6++. I need to do the same
>> without optimization.

> VC6 is horrendously out of date, and predates even the 1998 standard
> (much less
> the 2003 update).

Not a month goes by without someone saying here that they use VC++ 6.
What is so special about that compiler in particular that it seems to be
so universal? I don't get it.

Dombo

Op 05-Mar-11 19:55, Andre Kaufmann schreef:
> On 05.03.2011 13:27, James Kanze wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 3:34 am, Joshua Maurice<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>> As an aside, I love the visual studios IDE and especially the
>>> integrated debugger. It beats everything I've ever seen built on top
>>> of gdb in terms of usability and power IMHO.

>> Really. I find it one of the worst debuggers I've ever used.
>> It's constantly driving me up the wall, because I'm unable to
>> see what I want (where as it's filling up the screen with things
>> I'm not interested it).

> Since it's some years ago, since I had a deeper look at Unix development
> tools, I wonder if there are now IDE based C++ development tools
> available, besides Eclipse / KDevelop ?
>
> Could you give an example, where a professional than Windows, Unix
> debugger is easier to handle ?
>
> (Besides ... I don't know why you make a difference between Windows /
> Unix / Mac, since I thought the tools are available under all OS's?)
>
> E.g.:
>
> In VStudio I right click a variable - select add watch and the variable
> will be displayed in the watch window, every time the debugger stops and
> if the variable is visible (either globally or on the current stack).

Or just let the mouse pointer hover near a variable name in your source
and it shows its current value. Over the years I have had very few
issues with Visual Studio debugger; I wonder how they could make things
even more simple. OTOH its editor, and specifically code completion, is
another story. Extensions like Visual Assist do exist for a reason.